Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage

Options
  • 28-06-2005 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Canada and Spain are set this week to become the third and fourth countries to recognise fully equal marriage rights for same sex couples at a national/federal level. The Netherlands became the first country to recognise gay marriage in 2000 and Belgium followed in 2003.

The Canadian lower house, where passage of the bill is almost certain, is expected to vote on their gay marriage bill as early as Tuesday evening, June 28th.

The Spanish lower house is voting on Thursday June 30th where MPs are expected to vote in favour of the bill for a second time, over-ruling the bills narrow rejection in the Spanish senate last week.

Although these laws will not take immediate effect, this week seems very likely to be the week where the number of countries globally that recognise fully equal gay marriage doubles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Like Ireland would ever follow suit...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Just needs hard campaigning and people on the ground ready to shout and kick and scream to make it so. 5 years or less for Ireland I'd give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Sure didn't Mary Hanafin tell us Ireland isn't ready for gay marraige. You wouldn't doubt Mary would you?

Mary Coughlan not Hanafin and this was when she brought in the law specifically banning same-sex marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Stoopid Marys..... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ajmurphy62

I've found that of the gay men and women that i know, very few of the relationships last that long. For some reason gay relationships dont seem to last as long as straight relationships.

But i do believe that gay people should have the choice to get married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

ajmurphy62 wrote:
    I've found that of the gay men and women that i know, very few of the relationships last that long. For some reason gay relationships dont seem to last as long as straight relationships.

But i do believe that gay people should have the choice to get married.

I haven't found that at all. But if anything it's down to lack of choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Given that something like 50% of marraiges these days end in divorce, I don't see how gay marraiges could be much worse. And seeing as how gay marraiges are less likely to have kids, the inevitable divorces won't be anywhere near as harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The government should take it as an opportunity to win some public support if nothing else, even if they dont fully agree with it. The only people who oppose it at this stage are the older church going generation (who wont be around for much more than about 20 years, harsh but true) and and the ignorant. This also leads to my second reason, hopefully the church would be outraged and move lock ,stock back to the vatican where they can all live happily ever after and molest each other for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

snappieT wrote:

Ulitmately, it will probably become an issue for the European human rights court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Stekelly wrote:
    The only people who oppose it at this stage are the older church going generation (who wont be around for much more than about 20 years, harsh but true) and and the ignorant. This also leads to my second reason, hopefully the church would be outraged and move lock ,stock back to the vatican where they can all live happily ever after and molest each other for all I care.

I would imagine that the church going generation and the ignorant make up more than 10% of the population, probably make up oh i would say 36% of the population, oddly enough that is the same per centage that support a ff and pd govt. Ironic?

Like rsynnott said, i think it will come down to the european court of human rights inflicting civil partnerships on ireland rather than the people actually getting it out of choice. Does the end justify the means?

I'm still young, so im not really concerned about marriage, but that said, i'd like to know that if someday when im older i fell in love with someone that there would be the option of marriage there for me. But for some reason i dont see it happening here for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

If Ireland were not ready for gay marriage, gay people wouldn't be asking for it.

Yoda wrote:
    If Ireland were not ready for gay marriage, gay people wouldn't be asking for it.
    Its not the fact that gay people aren't ready for it. Just that Society, for some strange reason arent ready to accept the fact that 2 men can love each other enough to get married.

ajmurphy62 wrote:
    Its not the fact that gay people aren't ready for it. Just that Society, for some strange reason arent ready to accept the fact that 2 men can love each other enough to get married.

thats an excuse not a justification for being treated as second class citizens

ajmurphy62 wrote:
    Just that Society, for some strange reason arent ready to accept the fact that 2 men can love each other enough to get married.

Uh, are you not part of that Society? What are you doing to change Society so they'll accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I wanted to marry a guy once, and at the time there was no bar in legislation to it.
    I didn't want to be able to marry because i realised "ireland were not ready for it"
    But then...... I am a gay man .......as opposed to "gay people"

Just that Society, for some strange reason arent ready to accept the fact that 2 men can love each other enough to get married.

Its not a "strange" reason, I think most people accept that cultural norms are slow to change.

And wanting to marry doesn't need to'have anything to do with 2 guys loving each other; marriage as an institution might be desired by two people for any number of complex reasons.

People opposed to gay marriage are probably willing to accept 2 guys might love each other (there are people within the gay community who might be less likely to accept that), why they oppose it is down to a degree of ignorance to be generous, otherwise at the end of the day because they see gay as either : evil, unnatural or gross.

Other than equality, some good reasons to advocate gay marriages are to tackle the reasons people are against it.

Hopefully it will come to be that two adults can choose to be in a committed recognised relationship and have it recognised by the state and society without having the tag on of "gay" or "samesex".

damien.m wrote:
    Uh, are you not part of that Society? What are you doing to change Society so they'll accept it?
    ok well then, The majority of the Straight Community in society wont accept the fact that 2 men can love each other enough to get married.

The main problem for the gay community is lack of representation in Government. Maybe we should replace berite with a gay man.

ajmurphy62 wrote:
    The main problem for the gay community is lack of representation in Government. Maybe we should replace berite with a gay man.

Yeah, could u imagine David Norris as taoiseach? Chilling...

David Norris is gay ?

People once thought no government would ever try curtail smoking so much as to ban it in public places etc

As more countires in the EU endorse either sex marriages ireland will have to comply. It would be nice though to see this nation once blanketed in the vestments of the Catholic Church champion the cause of a truly equal secular society embracing diversity.

It would be nice if more people recognised that "nurturing" in its broadest sense is not the reserve of women and that two men in a loving relationship can be as extra ordinary beautiful and wondrous as any preceived fairtytale marriage.

• Advertisement

David Norris is gay ?

I think so, but it wouldnt be the first time i got something like that wrong.

The EU will prob be the people to make it legal in ireland, somehow i doubt any political party at the moment in ireland has the balls to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

David Norris is gay ?

Indeed he is.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/buried_alive/week5.html
    David Norris
    "...His most recent success has been the introduction of the Domestic Partnership Bill. If passed it will effectively legalise gay and lesbian marriages. His main reasons for introducing this Bill is because he feels that in terms of financial benefits such as inheritance rights, gay men, lesbians and unmarried couples are still second-class citizens in Ireland. He also feels that the Bill should be passed as legislation because a gay man or woman cannot automatically bring their partner to live with them in Ireland if they are from another country. He states in typical fighting talk that if the Government attempt to block his Bill he will come out of semi-retirement and "take them all the way to the European Court of Human Rights"."

sawwie , wasn't being serious, just amused at the idea he might be the only LGBT politician

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well it depends though. If the matter is enshrined in our constitution, as some lovely people claim it is, then the EU can't just make it law for us, no more than the EU can legalize abortion. At the very least, we'd have to hold a referendum on the issue and it'd still be up to the people to decide the issue. Now that would be interesting.

It's not presently in the Constitution, at least not in anyway confirm by the Supreme Court, the problem is will new proposals re definitions of family etc be added
    Strangely Amndment is meant to be improvement

ixoy wrote:
    Well it depends though. If the matter is enshrined in our constitution, as some lovely people claim it is, then the EU can't just make it law for us, no more than the EU can legalize abortion. At the very least, we'd have to hold a referendum on the issue and it'd still be up to the people to decide the issue. Now that would be interesting.

Its status in the cnostitution is very dubious, though. Protection of the family is mentioned, and that could be taken to mean traditional tw-parent heterosexual family... however, in the Irish version (which takes precedence where there are differences) the word tealamh (spelt horribly badly by me) meaning household, is used. That leaves far more wiggle-room.

solice wrote:
    Yeah, could u imagine David Norris as taoiseach? Chilling...

No, he'd make a good President tho.

Christian Church Supports Gay Marriage

Christian Church Supports Gay Marriage

The head of the United Church of Christ has thrown his support behind marriage equality, becoming the first mainstream Christian church to do so.

The church stands poised to consider an official resolution endorsing equal rights for same-sex couples.

"I believe the General Synod should affirm the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons to have their covenanted relationships recognized by the state as marriages equal in name, privileges, and responsibilities to married heterosexual couples," the Rev. John H. Thomas, president and general minister, said in a speech on Tuesday in Atlanta.

Church delegates will consider a resolution in support of equal marriage rights for same-sex couples this weekend in Atlanta at the meeting of the General Synod of the UCC.

Some congregations have threatened to leave the denomination if it backs gay marriage, but the majority of congregations said they are in favour of backing the issue, according to the Associated Press.

The synod meets every two years to set national policy for the denomination, although those policies are not binding on individual congregations.

If the resolution passes, the UCC would be the first mainline Christian church in the United States to endorse equal rights for same gender couples, said the Rev. Bob Chase, communications director for the church.

In 1996, the Unitarian Universalist Association passed a resolution supporting the right of same-sex couples to marry.

Media outlets have closely scrutinized the UCC since December when NBC and CBS rejected television ads from the church aimed at promoting the denomination as a welcoming place of worship.

The networks deemed the ads controversial and claimed they were designed to further the advocacy of gay marriage, something church officials vehemently denied.

The UCC was a pioneer 20 years ago when it recommended that its local congregations be open and welcoming to all people, including gay and lesbian members.

At the synod meeting in Atlanta, delegates will also consider two other marriage resolutions: One would urge further study before the church takes a position on same-sex marriage and the other would declare marriage to be strictly between one man and one woman.

The Rev. Bob Chase said Thomas has been studying the three proposed resolutions on marriage since late April, when they became public.

"He decided it was incumbent upon him in his role as a leader of the UCC to make a statement of his own personal convictions on this issue," Chase said.

Chase also noted that Thomas punched holes in the argument that the Bible prohibits marriage between same-sex couples.

"Nothing could be further from the truth," Chase said.

Nationwide, the church has 1.3 million members.

By Ross von Metzke, © 2005 GayWired.com, All Rights Reserved. Article provided by GayLinkContent.com. For more information, contact us at

looks like a step forward. Although not in ireland or catholic it is still a step forward for gay christians everywhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

rsynnott wrote:
    Its status in the cnostitution is very dubious, though. Protection of the family is mentioned, and that could be taken to mean traditional tw-parent heterosexual family... however, in the Irish version (which takes precedence where there are differences) the word tealamh (spelt horribly badly by me) meaning household, is used. That leaves far more wiggle-room.
    Interesting but, nonetheless, the bigots have constantly said we can't get married due to it being prohibited by the constitution even if none of us can find this section. Repeatedly we've been told it's a referendum issue when it merely seems that the Marriage Act prohibits it - which can be over-ruled. We'll need to see the Supreme Court's interpretation of this in the current action.

• Advertisement

ajmurphy62 wrote:
    looks like a step forward. Although not in ireland or catholic it is still a step forward for gay christians everywhere.

The Unitarians do this as well, and one of the Jewish sects.

But religion should obviously play no part in public policy, and church marriage has nothing in particular to do with state marriage.

Advertisement