Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect an iPod to a HiFi?

Options
  • 28-06-2005 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

I bought a 3.5 headphone jack lead yesterday to connect my iPod to my HiFi. It has the same connections both end. I plugged it into my system but no sound came out. I switched the amp to 'aux' but still nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

switch your amp to line-in

also make sure you have the volumn up full on the ipod and med-high on the hifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 overhere

where are you connecting the ipiod to on the hifi? I think you might need a jack to 2-phono(RCA) lead . Connect it somewhere to the back of the stereo usally a red and white (or black) circular connection . might even have aux written near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

The lead is a headphone to headphone. My amp doesn't have 'line in' only aux, tuner, cd, phono and tape. Thought you could connect it via the headphone sockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Not really...

The headphone sockets are output only for plugging in headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

yeah you cant connect to the headphone out jack of your hifi. You need a line-in on the hifi or as overhere suggested the RCA leads. There should be some connections at the back of your hifi to plug this in.
    If you cant find it, maybe post up a pic of the back of your hifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

My amp doesn't have 'line in' only aux, tuner, cd, phono and tape.
    Does your amp have inputs for these sources on the back, or are is it an integrated system? If you amp has inputs for these, you just need a €3-5 headphone-RCA/phono lead and you can plug the iPod into any of aux, tuner, cd or tape (but not phono, it's a different level.) Post a picture of the back of your amp if you can.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You need a 3.5mm to twin RCA (or Phono) jacks. Connect to any of the inputs except the Phono input (as this is for turntables, has different signal levels and is equalised differently) - AUX, TAPE IN, VIDEO, LINE IN etc will work. Ipod needs to be turned up full on most systems - the signal level will be a bit lower for the same volume on your hifi than the CD or radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks all. Will take the lead back to Peats tomorrow and swap it.

Advertisement