Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(USA) Cable - Supreme Court result

• 28-06-2005 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

The Supreme Court ruled Monday that cable companies are not required to share their broadband access loops with independent ISPs. And the sworn enemies of the cable companies -- the RBOCs -- are cheering the decision as a sign that telecom deregulation is coming soon.

Full story here :- http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=76385&WT.svl=news1_1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

And this is good news because...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Highly interesting if you live in the US...but.....

That's what I was thinking... Maybe it will impact Ireland/Europe somehow? I don't know... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The main reason is that cable companies funded their networks privately where as PSTN was build with government money.

Is that the case here? Telecom Eireann and RTE used to own cablelink (NTL), who funded their network?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

paulm17781 wrote:
    Is that the case here? Telecom Eireann and RTE used to own cablelink (NTL), who funded their network?

no one thats why it`s in the state it`s in...decades behind,with only selected areas capable of providing broadband :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

And this is good news because...?

it's neither good nor bad news...it's simply interesting that DSL is deemed as telecommunications and Cable is designated as an information service...that's all :)

Wel thank you for that information! I thought it odd myself at first but it does make sense alright...

Advertisement