Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript menu

Options
  • 28-06-2005 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for a free menu for a site I'm working on.

I was wondering if anyone knows a site where I can get a free script for a side-menu, that displays the extra options to one side. Like the windows start menu....

I dont need anything flashy, just a simple menu that I can apply a different style to.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try
    www.getElementById.com
    Great site for free and compatible scripts.

(All the effects on the site are DHTML - proving you don't need flash to be funky).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

What I'm looking for is similar to the switch menu, but I want the options to come out the side, instead of below.

I've never written Javascript, so I have no idea how to do that myself.

Is there a way to change the switch menu to get the options to pop out on the right?
    http://www.getelementbyid.com/scripts/index.aspx?CodeID=34

Yep. It should be possible just to change position of the hidden menus to absolute, and it should be sorted.

I'll take a look and see if I can do an example for you.

Have a look at the attached for example when you switch the positioning to absolute. It's probably possible using a different type of positioning, but this was the quickest way to write the example :)

Ahh right.
    See how it's done now. Should be able to do what I want from your example.

Cheers Seamus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Just say No to javascript menus.

rsynnott wrote:
    Not necessarily. The site should be easily navigable without them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

rsynnott wrote:

I have to disagree. Just make sure your menu works without javascript - http://easymenu.co.uk/ is a good example, that I sometimes use (and have contributed a bugfix or two to).

EDIT. well the code is a good example, the actual implementation on that site uses images so isn't the best example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

hostyle wrote:
    I have to disagree. Just make sure your menu works without javascript - http://easymenu.co.uk/ is a good example, that I sometimes use (and have contributed a bugfix or two to).

EDIT. well the code is a good example, the actual implementation on that site uses images so isn't the best example.

Eh, personally, they irritate me, and I know they tend to confuse the hell out of older users, in particular. KISS applies here, I think.

Generally the only Javascript I'd use on a menu would be to highlight the selected item, or on a mouseover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

BizzyC wrote:
    Generally the only Javascript I'd use on a menu would be to highlight the selected item, or on a mouseover.

No need for javascript at all then - use CSS.

For what I'm doing now though, I need a javascript menu. Which is done, Thanks Seamus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 WKD

Try 123 Flash Menu, it's a great little program with cool effects, but, it's flash not java.

Advertisement