Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eCommerce suite recommendations

Options
  • 28-06-2005 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,
    Would anyone be able to recommend a decent package for online retailing? Are there any 'industry standard' packages that small to medium sized retailers would use? I've played around with osCommerce and a few other open souce applications but many of them seem a little... amateurish, if you know what I mean. My client has a merchant account and will be taking payments online so I would be looking for a package that can ensure their customers security.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I have found oscommerce back end to be great. You are right in that it looks a bit amateurish but a good design would soon fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OsCommerce is a very powerful ecommerce package. Just change the design. Use Simple Template System to incorporate the package into any design you want. You can customise it completely with add-ons in the contribution section of the OsCommerce site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

oscommerce is the way to go - couple it with a hosting strategy that includes a dedicated server, firewall, SSL, backups and you should have an online store anyone would be proud of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭reitoei

Cool.

Thanks for the advice on the templating system in osC. I've been playing around with it more and it's actually a lot more robust than I originally thought.

Off topic, here's a really nice front end for another online retailer: http://www.panic.com/goods/

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

www.x-cart.com is very popular. It all depends on what you are doing. Eg if you only have a few items a paypal shopping basket solution would be enough: www.paypal.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement