Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Sign Essien

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Tell me about talk about fools, I hate even seeing things like that in the newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

yeah i read that earlier on today and thought i missed the news of his transfer cos i was away for a few days last week

it was the same with the uefa draws last thursday where they put up the wrong matches a couple of times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The story must have changed or something.. now that link is just to s story of chelsea trying to buy a striker but failing at all attempts so far. What did the original link say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

cant remember the exact words but it was pretty much close to this sayin that he was looking for a defender a midfielder and a striker
    BBC wrote:
    Mourinho has had no difficulty bringing in Athletic Bilbao left-back Asier del Horno and Lyon midfielder Michael Essien

then it goes on to say
    BBC wrote:
    But his search for a striker has so far drawn a blank - and not just because of the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Roman Abramovich's millions got Chelsea the best manager money can buy.

hmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i was reading a piece in the sunday world over the weekend and essien was talking a great deal about a trial he had at united when he was 17. he seemed to greatly enjoy his experience and dreamed of playing for united. it gave me renewed hope that united might just knick him.

i certainly think united should attempt to compete with chelsea on this one, because from what i have seen i think he will be a great player for whoever he signs for. although i am aware that he is arriving on the back of an excellent season in france ala drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the guy is a great talent.
    But he is incredibly overhyped at this stage, the initial fee that Utd were in for him was like 12 mill euro, 8 mill pound!
    Now they are refusing bids of 25 million euro, and tbh he was seriously shown up by Van Bommel in the CL game, as the guy is still only a kid.
    That said, tremendous talent, so I'd like to see him come. But I'd much much rather see a AMC who will give Van Nist the service he needs.

well thats just it, both united and chelsea have their own valuations. united's being the most realistic. thats what were up against now. so its going to take some top notch scouting from the red devils this summer to find someone peter kenyon has told chelsea about already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its impossible to do it with CHelsea until they have bought their people.
    If United go after a player, Chelsea will be contacted by the club the player is at, because it will no matter what push up the price

yeah good point.

well i think this could end their spending. with the exception of a striker, pending crespo decision. so if they were to start bidding on other teams targets i think the squad get out of control which is something mourinho wont allow to happen. he generally likes to work with small squads so im expecting a few more departures from chelsea this summer.

after the arnesen saga it seems huth and johnson are disposable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement