Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops in Galway buying used CDs/books?

Options
  • 28-06-2005 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any shops in Galway buying used audio CDs? I think there's a shop in the Cornstore that buys used books; does anyone know of any other shops that do the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Bell, Book and Candle.
    Located beside The Crane Bar, down the road from Massimo's and The Blue Note.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Books: Book Exchange, Abbeygate St. Charlie Byrne's has some secondhand stuff but I find the place overpriced and trading off a reputation that's origins beggar belief (Roisin Dubh syndrome).

Bell Book and Candle as Syxpak mentioned. They have CDs as well but a lot of their stock tends to be ill-advised one song based purchases recouped for cash. Kenickie and Sixpence None The Richer albums anyone? There can be some good stuff in there, it's just pot luck.

Sixpence were fúcking metal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Robbo wrote:
    Books: Book Exchange, Abbeygate St. Charlie Byrne's has some secondhand stuff but I find the place overpriced and trading off a reputation that's origins beggar belief (Roisin Dubh syndrome).

you mean the repuation of being a well organised and well run second hand book store that means we dont have pay easons prices?
    Where do you normally shop for books? and how much would you like to be paying?

(rock on sixpence) :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dundhoone wrote:
    you mean the repuation of being a well organised and well run second hand book store that means we dont have pay easons prices?
    Where do you normally shop for books? and how much would you like to be paying?

(rock on sixpence) :D
    Prices in Charlies have been escalating in the last 5 years at rates that would shame most other retailers, in parallel to this, the secondhand stock appears to consist entirely of job lots from the houses of spinsters with Barbara Cartland fetishes.

There's a whole wide internet out there for books. Amazon (and by extension, the secondhand marketplace stuff), eBay, Barnes and Noble, buying direct from smaller publishers.

"How much would I like to be paying?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Game Stop upstairs in Edward Square/Eyre Square buy second hand CDs.

*edit* I think

The tape, CD and record fair in the Town Hall, afaik it's on every month or so.

Really must pop down sometime myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Robbo wrote:
    Prices in Charlies have been escalating in the last 5 years the secondhand stock appears to consist entirely of job lots from the houses of spinsters with Barbara Cartland fetishes.

There's a whole wide internet out there for books. Amazon (and by extension, the secondhand marketplace stuff), eBay, Barnes and Noble, buying direct from smaller publishers.

Okay point taken on the online retailers. I havent bought many books online, so I cant really argue that point with you.

Charlies did have a price hike in the last year and its been a while since I found something I really wanted in there. I wouldnt like it to turn into a shop full of coffee table books. Still I think its a great alternative to paying full price in easons/dubarry and Im a strong supporter. Im happy to pay a few quid more than other 2nd hand stores if they keep their shop in good order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hachidan

For online buying I recommend Play.com. They've starting selling books, they've a pretty decent selection at really good prices and they have free delivery.

play.com are excellent for games and DVDs, I'd still buy 'new' books off amazon though.
    2nd-hand would be anywhere and everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

SyxPak wrote:
    play.com are excellent for games and DVDs, I'd still buy 'new' books off amazon though.
    2nd-hand would be anywhere and everywhere.

I'd highly recommend buying second hand books from amazon. I've bought loads and I've never recieved one that wasn't as good as new. You'll pick up some real bargins which can offset postage. For me anyway the biggest benifit of using Amazon is their selection of books.

As for trading in books I bought a load of books down to the bookstore at the cornstore last week. About 15 books. They gave me a store credit of E30 :rolleyes:

Oh well.... better than collecting dust at home. I rekon they'll sell them for 10 times that value (all ex condition, most newish releases).

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Bell book and candle in galway is the dogs bollox:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

ultain wrote: »
    Bell book and candle in galway is the dogs bollox:)

Holy thread bump Batman :D This thread is 5 years old:D

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Col200sx wrote: »
    Holy thread bump Batman :D This thread is 5 years old:D
    And the shop is still the dogs bollox;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Timewarp lockage :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement