Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swear words on the Irish board.

Options
  • 31-05-2001 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Upon happening on a recent post on the Irish boards it brought up an interesting question. This was the explanation of the post provded by a different user.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"Ceapaim go raibh tu striopach mor anois"
    stríopach is slapper/slut/whore .. that kinda thing... as far as I remember</font>

So where does this leave boards.ie with regards to moderating out swear words on the Irish boards? I believe if they're moderated on all the english boards then they should too be moderated on the Irish board or else demoderated everyplace.

.logic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'll offer to co moderate the gaeilge boards if it's any help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I deleted that topic as soon as I saw that translation.

I've asked for people to provide translations for anything more than just very basic Irish. If such translations are not provided or are offensive, I'll delete the post or topic.

I appreciate the offer, but with the (incredibly tiny) amount of traffic through the Gaeilge board, I don't personally see the need for a 2nd moderator. I reckon I can handle it.

Bard
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum25/HTML/000023.html

Thanks,

Bard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

right oh

was just offerin

btw maybe u can make irish bad words come up in *** format

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slydice:
    right oh

was just offerin

btw maybe u can make irish bad words come up in *** format
    </font>

That *would* be a good idea... could anyone put together such a list so the admins could put it in the system?

Bard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well I for 1 happen to know that "cac" means s-h-i-t so make sure that is on your list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

The list of Irish words is what I initially meant. I wasn't complaing about your moderatorship Bard wink.gif

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Finally the Irish for 'mother****er' will be revealed to me!!!!!11

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    That *would* be a good idea... could anyone put together such a list so the admins could put it in the system?
    </font>

And put it on a webpage with translations for educational reasons! smile.gif

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Yes it would be nice to get proper irish swear words instead of "pog mo hon" and "homo gniethseach" or however it's spelled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Irish swearing tends to be more creative than English swearing though, simply because of the distinct lack of interesting ways to describe genitalia and procreation smile.gif

For example, probably the most common way of describing someone as a homosexual is "buachaill bán"... now, how're you gonna ban THAT one? smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Censoring Irish swearwords... ffs

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

Advertisement