Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for spikes in dublin?

• 28-06-2005 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

anyone recommend me a good place for spikes / other running equipment in dublin.
    Looking at getting some cones, a speed ladder, those neoprene pants to keep muscles warm in winter etc.
    also recommend me a good pair to llok out for. i've never wornspikes before. is it wise to train always wearing spikes on the track or do they give enough support. Will i stick to my asics and just use spikes once a week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nonrunner

Don't wear spikes for all your training. They don't give enough support and can cause problems in the heel of the foot.
    my kid used to get a lot pain in the heel after training untill someone mentioned it may be the overuse of spikes. now they just wear runners for warm up/drills etc and then put on the spikes. No problems with the heel since they started doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 groovyspoon

The best place to buy spikes in Dublin is probably Mick Dowling Sportsworld in Terenue. Very helpful and they will guide you to what you want/need. If they don't have something in stock, they will even order it for you.
    You can also try arnotts and elverys but its usually "just good luck" if you get anything there.

You should only wear spikes in training if you intend using them in races. If you are a road runner, you should avoid them. They have very little support and cushioning and can lead to the likes of shin splints with overuse.
    If you are a middle distance track runner, limit your use to twice a week.
    If you are a long distance runner (5,000 etc.) you probably don't need to wear them during training at all except for very rare times (you will need to get used to them for races).
    Do not warm up or cool down in them and do not do long distance training in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

No im a sprinter (well i want to be anyway) so id only be waering them during the 10 odd sprints id do per session. for warmups, longer distances, tempo runs i'll stick to my normal runners.
    thanks for the info re dowlings.
    any directions? I dont know that area very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

in terenure villiage ask any1 around there and they will point you the way!
    i dont no if they sell ladders do!

Advertisement