Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP:Home with XP:Pro via cross over?

Options
  • 28-06-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Slapped in a cross over cable and connected it to another comp to try and swap some files. Went through the windows home networking jive etc. on both comps

Alas neither computer is picking up the other one. Anyone any idea why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What IP addresses and subnet masks have you set on the machines.

Unless one of them is running ICS you'll need to set static IPs for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

have you shared any folders on either ?

share c: on both for testing purposes if its a closed netowrk not going on the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Disable the firewall on both as well if you've SP2 installed.

I've done this before and it works fine - only done it on SP1 boxes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

XP Home uses MSHOME as it's workgroup name.
    XP Pro uses WORKGROUP as it's workgroup name.

Both should be the same. So change one of them.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

make sure you have static ip adresses set - for instance 192.168.1.1 and for the other 192.168.1.2 - Gateway for instance 255.255.255.0

Also the workgroup change this from right clicking my computer under name you have a option for workgroup or domain make sure they are on the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ok it's all working fine now but hit and miss. I set the UP to auto. Would that be why sometimes it doesn't work?

I'd also like the option to explore the other computer. Should I share the whole c: drive for that or is there some setting where by that can be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

ICS isn't working :(

Both computers can see each other. The host computer is connected to the net and switched on but nothing on the client machine works!

Advertisement