Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old threads issue....

• 04-06-2001 1:52pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, I think it's good that people point out weaknesses in systems, that way the owners of that system have to sort it out and end up with stronger/better system. It all works out better for the board owners in this case.

I dunno did someone else suggest this already, I couldn't be @rsed reading all the posts about it, but is it not possible to set an expiry on threads after they've been idle for a certain length of time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Or just have a script which when it bans a serious muppet it removes all thier posts. That would cause the thread to drop back to it's place again (I've had a similar prob on the RP long long time ago).

An expiry to post, rather an expiry to delete would be better.

What they did didn't help in this case. It's all kidiot justifaction for breathing. simple line is if you know an exploit do you (a) Tell someone or (b) trash thier system and hope they learn how l44t you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Or just have a script which when it bans a serious muppet it removes all thier posts. That would cause the thread to drop back to it's place again (I've had a similar prob on the RP long long time ago).

An expiry to post, rather an expiry to delete would be better.

What they did didn't help in this case. It's all kidiot justifaction for breathing. simple line is if you know an exploit do you (a) Tell someone or (b) trash thier system and hope they learn how l44t you are.
    </font>

When you post a reply, adn delete your reply it is still up the top. (if i understand what your saying)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    When you post a reply, adn delete your reply it is still up the top. (if i understand what your saying)</font>

IF you post a reply to a thread, then delete that reply the post will move back down. Unless someone else replies to it in the meantime.

Unless it's changed recently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It seems to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Gerry

ok, I was just locking the threads. I'll delete the offending post and then lock the thread in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

now if only there was an unlock button we'd be sorted .. smile.gif

Actually there is. The lock function changes to unlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

What about having it that all posts over a certain ages (of last reply) get locked? Something like 6 months etc. Anyone dredging the boards could still quote and link, but they will not end up dragged to the top of the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Or threads over a certain age could just be archived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    IF you post a reply to a thread, then delete that reply the post will move back down. Unless someone else replies to it in the meantime.

Unless it's changed recently.
    </font>

Well it doesnt in UBB6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I agree with Steven threads over a certain aged should be archived.

But should this be automated or should we be doing it?

[This message has been edited by Evil Phil (edited 05-06-2001).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Locking the threads ASAP is a good thing, and we can delete the posts in bulk. Please stop replying the bots saying "ugh, I hate that" or whatever, as it means that the threads stay up even after the posts have been deleted (good thinking Hobbes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Just to make it clear, deleting whole topics is bad, deleting individual posts is good.

Advertisement