Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist gifts

Options
  • 28-06-2005 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I was recently in Japan, and wherever I went there were pretty tins with food gifts in them - rice crackers, biscuits, etc.

When I was going home, I would have liked to send back the same kind of thing to my friends, but there seems to be nothing here. I could send them English biscuits, but when I gave them any gifts, they asked: "These are made in Ireland?" - so what's the point.

Does anyone know of any nice tins of Irish biscuits, with pretty designs or pictures, not too huge - the kind of thing that Lady Godiva does in Belgium, say, or that you can get English-made from M&S?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

So there's no such thing? No small gift that I can give that can be shared among the people in an office?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bar of Dairy Milk and a packet of Tayto!

(Although I guess maybe we shouldn't be supporting either of those brands any more. How about some crubeens and cabbage?)

adam

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Kimberly. Mikado & Coconut Cream ? A bag of Emeralds ? Some Oatfields boiled sweets ? Peggys Legs ...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Can you still get Peggys Legs, if so where ????

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

No idea really.. but I imagine some old small shop (there's one in Cork near the Raven bar) might have them... I was just getting carried away with memories of my youth...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

When I visit my US colleagues I always bring Butlers Irish Chocolates, they love em! and they're always tied up nicely with ribbons etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Nice suggestions, but none appropriate for my current needs. I'd love to send them chocolates (though I don't like Butler's any more - they used to be delicious, but either their recipe has changed or my taste buds have) - but chocolates sent to Japan would have melted by the time they were delivered.

These people are kind of formal and middle-aged, and I want to thank them for a favour, so they'd think a jokey present was bad manners.

It's so odd that there isn't anything (apparently) suitable. This must be a huge, huge market - think of it, corporate gifts, tourists, stuff for embassies to give out, thank-you presents.

Advertisement