Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4x4 Advice

Options
  • 28-06-2005 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade from her VW Passat to a 4x4 as she is an architect, so she really could really do with a 4x4 to get her to and from the sites. The problem lies in that she doesn’t want to spend a fortune on the car and the current top model she is looking at is the Nissan xTrail, and while a decent car I’m not convinced it’s the best option as its not really an off-roader more an urban school runner, I have been racking my brain for ages for suggestions and the best I can come up with is a Landy. To compound the problem she has to have a car with 2litres or less as her 18year old son is going to be learning to drive in it and the insurance will cripple her otherwise.

So Im looking for suggestions of cars to look at, they need to be no older than an 03 and brand new is an option but needs to be about the cost of an xTrail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Depending on what the sites look like, she might not really need a "real" 4x4.
    If it is only slippery, uneven tracks that she has to content with, any of the "school run" fourbies should do the trick as well.

A Subaru Forester is supposedly a very nice road car also and on the 2.0 non turbo version also offers a reduced gearbox to help with trickier situations while ground clearance is quite good (better than it looks and better than CRV, RAV4, X-trail et al). That would be my pick
    For example:http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=253603

If she has to regularly follow diggers and other heavy plant in their wake only a "real" 4x4 will do. i.e good clearance, short overhangs and reduction gearbox. (And possibly some off road tyres)

The only ones (that i can think of) that stay within the 2 litre boundary are:
    Suzuki Jimny (not really a long distance car, some would say not even a car at all :D )
    Misubishi Pajero Pinin 1.8 (grossly overpriced)
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 Petrol (SWB) or 2.0 Diesel (LWB) (the diesel would be my recommendation)
    Example: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=233462

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Thanks Peasant, will look into those for her. Any other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

A freelander stays within the 2.0 boundary as well. Should be quite good with the permanent 4wd for convenience and decent offroad ability. If engine size wasnt an issue, then I'd recommend a 00+ series II Discovery. Some good bargains can be got on the early discovery 2 models at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

I hate to break it to you, but a real jeep is a 3.0L engeine, or there abouts.
    Real Jeeps: (Landcruiser 3.0L, Pjero2.5/2.8L, Trooper3.1, land rover defender,)

Anything else is not a jeep, and not a 4*4, although you`ll find the ppl driving these cheap townee lookalikes,(Crv, wil try to tell you they have a jeep,,,,,,, when in fact all they have are 2.0L cars, SUV`s that are no higher off the ground than a feckin car,,, so she`d be better off keeping the Passat she has.

All we need is another woman in a large suv, cutting corners :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would stay away from the Freelander. They are known for being troublesome especially the gearbox. The build quality is also below par and they are quite expensive new.

To be honest the X-Trail is very popular here and is one of the best selling SUVs. Alternatives to the X-Trail are the Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Susuki Vitara and Hyundai Santa Fae. But if she is going onto building sites then she may need something a bit more rugged.

Does it have to be a passenger 4x4 or will a commercial version do i.e. no windows or seats in the rear? Did she look at the Mitsubishi Pajaro Sport or even a L200 double crew cab pick-up might do. Only thing is that the L200 is horrible to drive on the road. Nissan have a 4x4 pick-up too called the Navara. Only thing is that all these machines are 2.5 or above.

• Advertisement

Anything else is not a jeep, and not a 4*4, although you`ll find the ppl driving these cheap townee lookalikes,(Crv, wil try to tell you they have a jeep,,,,,,, when in fact all they have are 2.0L cars, SUV`s that are no higher off the ground than a feckin car,,, so she`d be better off keeping the Passat she has.

All we need is another woman in a large suv, cutting corners
    So I take it that the definition of a jeep is somewhere now?
    I would stay away from the Freelander. They are known for being troublesome especially the gearbox. The build quality is also below par and they are quite expensive new.
    Im researching things for her at the moment.
    To be honest the X-Trail is very popular here and is one of the best selling SUVs. Alternatives to the X-Trail are the Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Susuki Vitara and Hyundai Santa Fae. But if she is going onto building sites then she may need something a bit more rugged.
    She needs rugged not SUV. Thats the point.
    Does it have to be a passenger 4x4 or will a commercial version do i.e. no windows or seats in the rear? Did she look at the Mitsubishi Pajaro Sport or even a L200 double crew cab pick-up might do. Only thing is that the L200 is horrible to drive on the road. Nissan have a 4x4 pick-up too called the Navara. Only thing is that all these machines are 2.5 or above.
    Has to be a passenger car and a pickups a waste of money as its just weight thats not worth it with petrol prices here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

:

I agree with you. People that drive CRVs, Rav4s, Grand Vitara etc are not driving proper jeeps.
    We have a Landcruiser and Discovery. The Landcruiser is an amazing jeep. Never gives any trouble and will cross nearly any terrain. The Discovery is ok, nothing special. Would rather change it for a Pajero.

astec, is 4x4 car an option? would keep the litre size down is insurance is a consideration. A jeep with an engine size under 2.5ltrs is not really proper jeep in my opinion.

We have a Landcruiser and Discovery. The Landcruiser is an amazing jeep. Never gives any trouble and will cross nearly any terrain.

Yeah, ive landcruisers aswell, well ther emy uncles but i do have them now and then, being a culchie. We do have them all over the farm and in quarrys, building sites, ect, and tow loads, and trailers, diesel tanks with it, (the work of a real jeep, not an SUV ;) )

Theres nothing that architect woman with the passat will be able to do in her SUV that she cant do with her passat. Im not being smart here, but I bet if she had to tow a trailer or something on the jeep she wouldnt even be able to handle it properly or reverse it or anything with a trailer. :rolleyes: But she needs her SUV to drive in the "entrance" of a site, as thats about all it`ll do no fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like the Subaru Forester as already mentions might be the best option but it is not available in diesel.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=253603

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=252043

astec, is 4x4 car an option? would keep the litre size down is insurance is a consideration. A jeep with an engine size under 2.5ltrs is not really proper jeep in my opinion.
    It needs to be a mud plugger. ie high GC and low COG.

• Advertisement

Theres nothing that architect woman with the passat will be able to do in her SUV that she cant do with her passat. Im not being smart here, but I bet if she had to tow a trailer or something on the jeep she wouldnt even be able to handle it properly or reverse it or anything with a trailer. But she needs her SUV to drive in the "entrance" of a site, as thats about all it`ll do no fear.
    Its a 98 passat and because of her job its had 2 rear springs, 3 sets of lights, and a repair job on body twist. Telling me that she should keep the passat is no use it costs more to keep it running than buying new will. She wants a new car like this as the passat cant handle the winter mud plugging to the sites.

Looks like the Subaru Forester as already mentions might be the best option but it is not available in diesel.
    Its not available in diesel, because its not a real 4*4. Its best left to towing the horsebox once every blue moon.
    Its a 98 passat and because of her job its had 2 rear springs, 3 sets of lights, and a repair job on body twist. Telling me that she should keep the passat is no use it costs more to keep it running than buying new will. She wants a new car like this as the passat cant handle the winter mud plugging to the sites.
    And an Suv can, its no higher. Just has a slightly bigger engine 2.0L Wow. It`ll still suffer the way the passat did. Why wont it?

Tell her to buy a Daihatsu Fourtrak, or else learn to drive the passat so it doesnt suffer body twist. Is she fat or something???? Tell her to park at the site entrance, or up at the portacabins and walk that little extra.

On topic please, I have seen the car she uses and been with her to these sites and Im telling you now that the stuff she does kills her passat. I need suggestions of what to suggest, some of the ideas I mentioned already to her but are discounted but she needs a real 4x4 that can manage to do propper off roading.

I think we already established the Landcruiser! Tell the son to buy his own car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

astec123 wrote:
    A friend of mine is looking to upgrade from her VW Passat to a 4x4 as she is an architect, so she really could really do with a 4x4 to get her to and from the sites. .......

I fused for a business, it could be registered as such. hence less vat.
    other alternatives are the 2 seater, steel windowed 4x4 "van" editions of regular SUVs. I saw a Toy Landcruiser as one by a carpenter, seemed adequet for the job.

The other question; is 4x4 really necessary. Cause a 2x4 version of a 4x4 may well serve the same function, Though for one reason or another 2x4 versions of 4x4s seem rate in ROI, unless you go down to a very basic light truck.
    (The wonders of marketing and strange tax regulations.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I think we already established the Landcruiser! Tell the son to buy his own car.

You repeating Landcruiser, landcruiser probably hasn't established anything at all.

I think astec that you may have difficulty getting a small petrol 4x4. However I would have thought that a 2.5l diesel wouldn't be that expensive to ensure for the lad.

The other thing to watch is if your friend does a lot of travelling to the sites, she'd probably be better off in a car as the road driving is so much better. OK, so for some sites she might have to put on a her boots and walk a bit though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Might be worth having a look at the new MK5 Octavia 1.9tdi 4x4 estate? Nice comfortable road car, loads of space in the back for her work gear, enough off road ability to get in and out of sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

I also have to put the plug in for the Subaru Forester. I have one, and I also do a lot of visiting building sites, and it's the business.

Just to clarify:

Suzukis are "real" 4x4's. With ladder frame, solid axles, reduction gearboxes and good ground clearance.

The Jimny is pocket size (1.3 litre) but no less capable than any of the 3 litre lumps (except towing bulls or horses) and the Vitara has a two litre Diesel and proper 4x4 dimensions.

Nothing wrong with them ...just cheaper than your Landcruisers, Troopers et al

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

yellow012 wrote:
    Might be worth having a look at the new MK5 Octavia 1.9tdi 4x4 estate? Nice comfortable road car, loads of space in the back for her work gear, enough off road ability to get in and out of sites.
    No it won't do , as peasant has already pointed out off road ability has more to do with general rugged build (Ladder Chassis) than just a spare wheel stuck on the back door.
    If the woman has already bent or twisted the Passat's chassis than it is safe to say that she needs something a little bit more rugged than a Octavia. regardless of whether it is 4x4 or not.
    I drive a landcruiser, but would side with peasant on this one if she really needs a true 4x4 under 2 litres capacity the Suzuki Vitara 2.0 diesel would be the only one that is rugged enough for the job that I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazy days

I have a Suzuki 1.6 petrol; great for the sites good on petrol; good price.
    you can pick up great deals from EP Mooney on the Nass Road.

Of course it's not a real Jeep I agree but get real, who needs to cross a river or climb a mountain.
    You just need that extra wheel height and the 4 wheel drive for building sites.

Crazy days, you would be surprised where your suzy would go, I bet you would run out of balls before the suzuki does...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Definitely the vitara.

It's all proper old school 4x4 under there, just smaller.

No-one is arguing that the landcruiser isn't an extremely effective machine.

The problem with the landcruiser is that it's got too big an engine for the lady's requirments as laid out in the original post and is also mega expensive.

suzukis always gets stick from those that don't know what they're talking about

take a look here at what suzukis can be made do

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

crazy days wrote:
    I have a Suzuki 1.6 petrol; great for the sites good on petrol; good price.
    you can pick up great deals from EP Mooney on the Nass Road.

Of course it's not a real Jeep I agree but get real, who needs to cross a river or climb a mountain.
    You just need that extra wheel height and the 4 wheel drive for building sites.
    I do. Many of the places I go to are out door concerts sites which are now classed as building sites before and after the show. A city 4x4 is fine for getting through a little bit of mud but I wouldn't want to try and work them hard. We have pulled a 12ft trailer with 1tonne of weight through nearly 1ft of mud with a Landcruiser. No problem for it. Regularly pulls a box containing 2 horses around the country also. Best 4x4 around in my opinion.

edit: Is the 4x4 your looking for just for work use or personal use? Would a commercial vehicle do or do you need seats in the back?

The OP didn't mention anything about pulling trailers (or tree stumps out of the ground, for that matter) So why would anyone burden themselves with a three litre two ton plus tractor ?

On its own (without trailer attached) the Vitara will probably go further than any of the other tanks that were praised here ...simply because it's lighter and doesn't sink in that much.

Having said that ...ALL 4x4's (especially with road tires on) will reach a point where they will simply not be able to follow a tracked vehicle like a digger, and will get stuck. Usually in a place where it is REALLY inconvenient and cumbersome to get it out again.

Keeping that in mind, the aforementioned Forester and a pair of wellies in the boot might be the best solution. It'll handle rough tracks much better than the Passat, be comfortable on the road and the wellies can take over when it comes to really difficult terrain :D

But the Forester still has a non ladder chassis, making it entirely possible that the good lady may twist the chassis while negotiating poor terrain.If she already bent the Passat, I wouldn't bet on the Forester holding up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If she bent the Passat I think she needs to take a look at her driving style. I find it hard to believe that you could bend a car like that by driving onto building sites. Unless you were travelling far too fast for the conditions.

Generally what wrecks the chassis is the twisting action caused by the left front and right rear (or similar) passing over large humps/rocks , you don't need to be going fast , it's just that most cars aren't designed for that kind of thing.
    I seem to recall that someone tested the freelander and a bunch of other 4x4 type vehicles by opening the boot and driving them across rough terrain, the freelanders boot wouldn't even shut after the test.

Axle articulation is the buzzword.
    Deep holes and/or big bumps is what you need it for.
    A ladder frame with solid axles is where you get it.

So the Vitara it is :D

• Advertisement

Thanks to those of you that offered your suggestions I have just spoken to them with the advice I have gotten thus far and safe to say I didnt even think of the Vitara. As for those who decided to complain about her driving style take it somewhere else its no appreciated by me or anyone else that was as kind as to offer their thoughts and opinions. The car is a 98 passat owned from near new as it was 6months old when purchased and has been in use every day since. Its falling appart as she has 3 kids to do the school run with and also her job taking clients to the sites often in the middle of no where down country lanes and muddied fields so a propper 4x4 is what she needs to do this with.

Once again thanks all, I somehow expect that I will be going car shopping in a few weeks! I would take the Vitara myself and will try pushing that one.

Advertisement