Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rule Of Four

Options
  • 28-06-2005 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hey anybody heard of/read the book "The Rule Of Four"? Tis unbelieveably good, far better than the Da Vinci Code...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

By who? (I'ma gues Dan Browne since you mentioned The Da Vinci Code, but yeah.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

actually no...... it's co-written by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason

Ah, ceart go leor. Haven't read it, what's it about?

am dunno, not finished yet. tis a lot like the Da Vinci Code, but way better.... it's like the Da Vinci Code fore adults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

the quote on the back sums it up :-

"The DaVinci Code for people with brains"

• Advertisement

the quote on the back sums it up :-

i'm finding that to be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

Ooh, that book! Picked it up the other day but didn't buy it. With so many different DaVinci codes spoofs out there I try not to read any books that have that title on the book without it actually being the code...
    Actually come to think of it, the only reason I read that book was because Brona and Cathlyn loved it so much last year...Will "The Rule of Four' be the new Nerd book of the summer??? We'll find out in two weeks and counting (!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

A intelligent dull thriller with a intelligently predictable and formulaic plot with intelligent historically inaccurate informaton and an intelligent poor command of prose?

don't get me started on that book.

still entertaining though.... granted it's not actually intellectually challenging, but need it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yes. If the book is claiming to be for people with brains then it probably should be intellectually challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

you can really tell that this is a fecking nerd site without some of the attitudes here. A good book is a book which you individually like and not anything thats challenging or fecking has big words that most people never heard of never mind understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

/\ true

Same goes for people who go out of there way to find "alternative" music, and completely write off anything which can be deemed popular. WELL DONE, YOU ARE UNIQUE, I STILL DONT CARE. Sorry for that little rant, but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

jono087 wrote:
    still entertaining though.... granted it's not actually intellectually challenging, but need it be?
    Actually what underdog said is fair - Dan browne goes to great lengths to link everything back to the lowest common demoninator, which is a bit irritating the umpteenth time. i mean i dont expect a book to require a huge amount of knowledge going in, but dumbing it down to that extent is ridiculous.

Just to clarify, I was ranting about DaVinci code, not Rule of Four. Might try it though.
    you can really tell that this is a fecking nerd site without some of the attitudes here. A good book is a book which you individually like and not anything thats challenging or fecking has big words that most people never heard of never mind understand!

Was that aimed at me? I said it's badly written, but the history stuff is fairly interesting and it's a fun read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Raphael wrote:
    Yes. If the book is claiming to be for people with brains then it probably should be intellectually challenging.
    I think it's aimed at that.

I think it might be an indication as to your intellectual standard that you profess all intelligent conversation to be "nerdish"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

jono087 wrote:
    I think it might be an indication as to your intellectual standard that you profess all intelligent conversation to be "nerdish"...
    You're not doing yourself any favours with that comment mate.He never professed all intelligent conversation to be nerdish.He said you can tell it's a nerd site with some of the attitudes here, which frankly I agree with after Raphael's comment.You said the book was entertaining, but not actually intellectually challenging and you asked did it need to be.Raphael then said it did, however Forde backed YOU up by saying it's whatever people like thats important, not how challenging it was.Does that make it a bit clearer for you?

Now now children, play nice. Jono just wanted to know if anyone'd read the book, let's not have it turn into another pointless argument. The alcohol thread should be enough to tide the forum over on that count for a few months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

i concur completely with billiam. haven't read the rule of four yet. it's sitting at home waiting for me, tho. i've heard pretty good thngs about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Lady penelopy

JenLorigan wrote:
    Now now children, play nice. Jono just wanted to know if anyone'd read the book, let's not have it turn into another pointless argument. The alcohol thread should be enough to tide the forum over on that count for a few months...

yup yup. i think people are bored and are poking at any proverbial beehive they can get near with a stick...

...please dont yell at me for that

• Advertisement

yup yup. i think people are bored and are poking at any proverbial beehive they can get near with a stick...

...please dont yell at me for that
    <INSERT RANDOM INCOHERENT SHOUTING>

Oh, and apologies for my last statement. I'd misunderstood the line about "the DaVinci code for clever people", I thought it was a claim the writers were making.

Why poke at proverbial beehives when you can poke real ones?

Proverbial stings are for wussies!

Be a man! SMOKE BEES!

I like my coffee like I like my women....COVERED IN BEES!

Raphael wrote:
    I like my coffee like I like my women....COVERED IN BEES!

I'm sure there's a valid enough reason for that... :o

...and so, the thread slowly but surely turned into bee appreciation.

Hurrah for bees!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

... And this is why I adore CTYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

''You could be standing there, and then you realise, I'M COVERED IN BEES!''

Ah good ol' Eddie Izzard.

Yeah, that happens to me a lot more than you'd think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This bee thing is a good reminder that I badly need to get a refill of Anti-histamines for my incect bite allergy thing before ctyi....see? Random topics have their uses....

Advertisement