Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which course? Please help!!

Options
  • 28-06-2005 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey, im having trouble picking between the undenominated engineering courses at trinity and ucd. I havent got a clue which course is better, iv heard some reports that the trinity course is bad and vice-versa! I think as of now i might want to get into radio/film producing through electronic engineering, but im doing undenominated because im not sure. Anybody got any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

where do see a link between electronic engineering and film producing?

engineering being the science of design and problem solving and all, maybe some sort of media course would put you in a better postion to get into Tv/radio/film work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Dont give the poor guy ****e advice u tosser.are u seriously suggesting he should do a media studies course instead of doing an electronic engineering degree.jobs in film/TV are very volatile and at least with a decent degree he will be able to be guaranteed a job.mias do E&E engineering in UCD or trinity,they are both good courses.dont restrict yourslf to some ****e degree because it incorporates the words "production" or "media".they generally attract leaving cert students of lower calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

DJDC wrote:
    Dont give the poor guy ****e advice u tosser.are u seriously suggesting he should do a media studies course instead of doing an electronic engineering degree.jobs in film/TV are very volatile and at least with a decent degree he will be able to be guaranteed a job.mias do E&E engineering in UCD or trinity,they are both good courses.dont restrict yourslf to some ****e degree because it incorporates the words "production" or "media".they generally attract leaving cert students of lower calibre.

He does need to do some better research, that's evident enough though.
    For Radio/Television production, should it not be something like sound engineering?

Electronic Engineering is going to be a ****e degree to start if he quits after a year or two or ends up in a job he hates.

Doing a course with "students of lower calibre" - bad at the leavin doesn't mean bad at everything else.

Of what you're thinking of I'd pick UCD.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yeah, think a bit more about what you want to do, maybe
    the undenominated one is the way to go.then (as I did it myself)
    would say UCD has a better rep as a course although it is very theory based
    and will be tough if you aren't **** hot at maths.
    and of course you have a lot more choice about what to go into in UCD, so
    if you realise during first year that you love chem eng, at least you can do it
    in UCD.

having said all that although trinity's rep hasn't been great it is known now
    for producing decent eng's, especially in electronics and the network research
    group is well know and they have new links with the bell labs research groups.

as for radio/film producing, don't see the link unless you mean more on the technical
    side of things rather than as a program producer? if so electonic is the way to go, can move into the likes of rte or bbc from there although neither are great places to start a career from...

but basically take stock of what you want to do and then make a choice, if you want to produce film/radio programs engineering prob isn't the course for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

DJDC wrote:

Talk about over reacting! I don't see how it was "shíte" advice as you so eloquently put it.

OP if you could clarify how you're linking Engineering to Media then we would probably we able to help you out alot better. As it stands I can't imagine how Electrical Engineering would open up doors for you in the film/tv industry, unless you plan on doing some prerequisite media course after your degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Everyone should just ignore djdc. This sums up his knowledge of anything

thanks for the back up folks.

Since DJDC is obviously a student who has just been introduced to engineering and is still full of youthful excitement he isnt aware that Elec Eng graduates as recently as 2000/2001/2002 couldnt get employment in this country and its only in the past two to three years that jobs in this area have picked up again.

Whats that rubbish about "lc students of a lower caliber" ? Media Courses attract people who want Media jobs. Eng courses attract people who want eng jobs. In all fairness, I doubt theres much between the pay scale of an RTE producer and an engineer.

Elec eng would be the most suitable of the engineering courses to head for as daveym said , basically some people do head off and do completely different stuff to eng. after they have their degrees as they are considered to be a good technical background. But I'd imagine you'd have to look at doing a post grad of some sort to get into media as you would be competing for jobs with people who have these qualifications - and for a media/production job an Eng degree probabaly wont cut it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

''Elec Eng graduates as recently as 2000/2001/2002 couldnt get employment in this country and its only in the past two to three years that jobs in this area have picked up again.''
    there was expected to be round 70 in my class and there is 20 between elec and elec&comp. some of these are dropping out too....i suppose jobs will be handy when i graduate i hope :)

Not to worry, theres work available now alright, some of my friends who did msc or phd cause of the job shortages are picking up work now again/have gotten jobs in the past couple of years. Just dried up a bit for a while!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I just graduated from UCD elec eng, and there's jobs about alright (i don't have one yet, but i'm not worried).

I think you could do worse than elec eng for moving into radio/film production, since the course will give a fundamental understanding of all the concepts involved, especially Digital Signal Processing. I think it would be easy to move from an elec degree to a diploma or cert in the audio/visual area (if necessary) to get a very strong qualification.

It must be said though that an Elec Eng degree is hard work, and maybe too fundamental (e.g. less hands-on/applied). It may be hard to do the time if you're not really looking for an electronic career.

I'm interested in audio/video manipulation on a strictly amateur/nothing-else-to-do basis, and I find understanding concepts such as filters helps when using complicated packages.

Hope that's constructive advice, and not waffle :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I did Electronic Eng. at CIT and by my third year (2002) the jobs market appeared very gloomy for graduates for the coming years.
    Half my class went all over Europe(spent mine in Germany) for the co-op and a quarter never even got co-op!!!

Its easier to get jobs now...but suggesting you can just walk into one...no no!

Advertisement