Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ideas for comic book-films?

Options
  • 29-06-2005 1:54am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭

Read a magazine recently which was jumping on the band wagon of comics been turned to film. it mentioned three comics of which they thought one would be the next blockbuster to come from a graphic novel.
    just for fun, which comic would ye all like to see on the big screen next? personally, i agree with said magazine and put my vote in for Fables.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 baldi1212

I think if done properally Rogue Trooper would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Far as I know Watchmen (or The Watchmen, can't remember, does it matter? ......... sorry, I'm rambeling) is being made into a movie. It would be really cool but very difficult to do in one take, would need to be at least a two-part.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Info on the Watchmen movie

Info on the V For Vendetta movie

I think that 1602 could make a very good movie, except for Marvel's pronounced tendency to dumb down their films (which is unlikely to change, given their drive to maximise the profitability of their properties by expanding into mainstream popular culture and multimedia ventures).

Outside of that...Comics I'd be interested in as films, although they'd be heavily dependent on casting and direction:

100 Bullets
    Fables
    The tales of William Gravel (from warren ellis' Strange Kiss/Stranger Kisses/Strange Killings series)
    David Mack's Kabuki
    Sinister & Dexter
    Fragile (zombie apocalypse meets self-discovery romcom, with a different take on zombies to the usual interpretation)

Can't think of more right now, but when I get home and check my comics, I'll probably add to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Eternal Warrior, Nighthawk, the Comic Series "Give me Liberty" would also make a brilliant violent/semi-futuristic war/drama film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bifsniff

Ted McKeever's Metropol or Plastic Forks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Transmetropolitian would make a fantastic film I think, although it'd probably need to be split up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Doubtful Donkey

The Watchmen movie was cancelled wasn't it? That blows - because the cast sniffing around the script (Jude Law, Hilary Swank and Ron Perlmen) would have pretty much rocked together

Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Preacher, but that will never happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think it would be good to see more of Daniel Clowes work brought to the screen.

I enjoyed Ghost World and Art School Confidential should be good too when it comes out.

But 'David Boring' and 'Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron' would make great films. Especially if David Lynch directed 'Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron'.

Nemesis the Warlock was always one of my favourite 2000 AD comic strips and I think it could work as a film. Torquemada would certainly make an excellent villian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Watchmen movie being cancelled was great news as there is no way it could of being translated well to film. The bad guy wins and I cant see that being left in any Watchmen film.

V for vendetta looks good but the matrix style slow down and spinny camera gig appears ti have been used in all the fight scenes :(

Plastic Forks would be a very hard movie to make I would imagine due to how crazy the story is.

Ghost Rider is looking good so hopefully it wont be a cluster **** like FF was.

Rought Trooper would make a great series of movies and wasnt there talk a while back of some studio buying the rights?

Another 2 Judge Dredd movies were supposed to be in the works as well but seemed to have been shelved.

My Picks would be..................

Ro-Busters would be a very doable movie these days and has all the right elements. Robots + magor disasters + wacky Rojaws to play off Hammersteins straight man act :D

Also from 2000AD a Flesh movie would work I think. Time travel + dinos + dino rampage + gore + disaster for humans = fun fun fun :D

The Walking Dead would make a cool movie as well due to there being a huge following for zombie movies.

Both the 2000AD movies would require no prior knowledge of the comic unlike big american titles so no crap story about origins and basic plot for the first movie is needed :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There was talk of a Preacher movie, with what'sisname who played Cyclops in the X-men movies as Jesse (bloody awful choice of lead, but hey...), but that seems to have been canned.

I mailed Warren Ellis once to ask if he'd consider making a Transmet movie, and he said there had been several approaches about it, but that none of them had the right combination of director and lead actors to make him agree to sell on the rights.

A Watchmen movie would not really work in the current climate - since the conclusion is basically
    an apparent alien attack stops the world from going to nuclear war; the suggestion of carnage of that scale having an ultimately good outcome would be too uncomfortable for a big studio to stick with in the current Western political climate
    . Between that and a primary character who's more than a little bit fractured in the head (and apparently prone to outbursts of extreme violence), I can't see a movie of this being worth watching if you knew the original work.

Ultimately, I think indie books have a better chance of surviving the transition to the big screen, because their controversial aspects tend to be more character based than incident based. I'd be curious to see, say, something of Adrian Tomine's made into a film, or perhaps David B's "Epileptic". Mind you, they'd require a very good director - but then in my mind so does any decent film.

The Preacher movie did get planned, went into pre-production, casting started, a script was written, everything

Then it got ****canned. The problem was the script - written by two unknows apparantly staright out of film school who butchered the entire thing, remvoving every reference to the Grail and Starr (a role JK Simmons, from Oz and Spiderman had his eye on). The lead villain was to be Arseface's dad.

James Marsdens was indeed cast as Jesse Custer, although he was the fourth choice for the role.

In the Irish interest, no one was appraoached regarding the role of Cassidy, but it is assumed the script would have flung at Colin Farrell until he accepted.

The only thing that appears to have survived?

arseface.jpg

Hopes this small tidbit helps someone out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

WTF?

How in the name of Christ did those two retards possably think getting rid of Herr star was a good idea?

He was the best thing about the whole comic and a classic comic villian.

The thing is , I don't think Preacher could be properly adapted as a movie. The story is too involved to be trimmed down without losing characters or characterisation, and yet it wouldn't really be possible to change the storyline without screwing up what made it so good.

I'm still of the opinion that for a comic book film to appeal to everyone, it has to retain the style, characters, themes and feel of the comics while if possible telling new stories instead of just retreading old ground. Sin City is the best example of retaining the feel of the source material and it did this excellently well, but I can't escape the feeling that, had I read all the material before seeing the film, I'd have been left feeling rather meh about it. (In the same way as I feel rather meh now reading the comic-version stories that I've already seen in the film).

It's an awkward balance to strike, and just another reason that I think the original creators (or at the very least writers) should be on board any movie adaptation if it's going to be any good.

In other news, the Comic Book Resources Movie Wrap column informs me that Brian K Vaughan is going to be involved in a film version of Ex Machina. He's openly stated that he'll have to pretty much reinvent the story from the ground up to make it work as a film, so there's always a possibility that fans will be disappointed - but he's the original creator, so if anyone could reinvent it and get it right it's him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 biblo

bifsniff wrote:
    Ted McKeever's Metropol or Plastic Forks.

Yeah Metropol could be amazing. Eddy Current too.

I'd like to see a good JTHM movie. It could work as a claymation movie. But it'd be tricky to keep ot from being exactly like Nightmare Before Christmas.

Just thought I'd add to this - according to comicbookresources.com, the second Sin City flick will be based on A Dame To Kill For - Dwight's backstory. It's a good story, and I like Dwight's character anyway, but I'm wondering how they're going to extend a story that's shorter than "The Hard Goodbye" (Marv's tale in the first film) into a full-length flick....I'd suspect that Dwight is being kept on board as the "ongoing character" for all three films, so I'd imagine that Family Values will be used in the third film...anyway. I'm sure more will come to light later on, but still - anyone else care to speculate in the meantime?

Fysh wrote:
    Just thought I'd add to this - according to comicbookresources.com, the second Sin City flick will be based on A Dame To Kill For - Dwight's backstory. It's a good story, and I like Dwight's character anyway, but I'm wondering how they're going to extend a story that's shorter than "The Hard Goodbye" (Marv's tale in the first film) into a full-length flick....I'd suspect that Dwight is being kept on board as the "ongoing character" for all three films, so I'd imagine that Family Values will be used in the third film...anyway. I'm sure more will come to light later on, but still - anyone else care to speculate in the meantime?

Miller's already announced he's writing stuff stuff speficially for the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 biblo

Fysh wrote:

booze broads and bullets has some stories that can be used. also, they shortened the hard goodbyw down a bit for the film.

biblo wrote:
    booze broads and bullets has some stories that can be used. also, they shortened the hard goodbyw down a bit for the film.

Well, yeah, but the bits they trimmed out were things like Marv going to see his mum and get his gun, very little in terms of the story overall. (Apparentyl these scenes were all filmed and will be on the DVD). Booze broads and bullets has some stuff, yeah, just...I dunno, not enough to fill an hour and a half unless they expand them. Still, I'm very happy to hear about fresh material being used in the sequels. It fills my pants with glee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fysh wrote:
    Still, I'm very happy to hear about fresh material being used in the sequels. It fills my pants with glee :D
    I wouldn't mind seeing Hell And Back as one movie!

• Advertisement

Hell and Back would kick ass as a movie for anyone who hasn't already read it. But the thing is if you're adapting existing works directly, you have two concerns :

1)Making it accessible to non-fans so that they aren't alienated by too many in-jokes, obscure references or whatever

2)Making it worthwhile to fans who will recognize any bastardization of character, story or theme and likely be very unforgiving of it.

Now, having only read "The Hard Goodbye" before I watched the film, I really enjoyed the film. I find that subsequently reading That Yellow Bastard & The Big Fat Kill and then watching the film, I'm not quite as stunned as I was first time round. I still think the film is excellently done, but if the sequels are just highly stylised and well-made versions of material I've already read, I'll lose interest.

This is why I think that fresh material, keeping the same characters and themes as the source material but not merely rehashing an existing storyline, is the way to go - especially if the original writer and artist can be involved in the development process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Spideyman

There's been talk of an Iron Man movie for a while. Tom Cruise was attached at first but he dropped it (not sure how'd he'd be as Tony Stark but now well never know).

I heard they're going ahead with it with Oded Fehr (the good guy in the mummy films with tatoos on his face) but casting hasn't been announced.

Personally I have to agree with a comment made in The Ultimates comic, that Johnny Depp would be perfect and this was said before his recent, post-Pirates, popularity boost.

This is a good site for all comic related movie news and rumors by the way: http://www.superherohype.com/

Wasn't that goon Ryan Reynolds attached to an Iron Man film for a while, as well as a Flash movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Jade Chihuahua

Deadpool needs his own movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭turnback

they should make Preacher into a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Deadpool needs his own movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

Somehow I don't think they could get anyone to pull off the humour of deadpool.

One of the greatest mini series i've ever ready (purely for the humour) is Deadpools second mini series with Black Tom and the Juggernaut.

"You think i'm bad, you should see the other guy" LOL!!! You have had to read it to get it :D

But if it were done right it would be an instant cult classic film!!

Advertisement