Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lines Of Code In MSWord?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Visual Studio has some really annoying quirks which i've already run into despite only having been programming in it for 3 weeks.

I've noticed that all events in items such as datagrids and dropdowns can get reset if you cut and paste the item. Also i've had problems with my datagrid losing its event associations when i moved it into a freshly made HTML table. So, when i went to reorganise my work into tables (which i should have done at the start of my project, but as i've only been programming C# and ASP.net for 3 weeks, i can be forgiven) i ended up having to spend a good 20+ minutes wondering why the feck my procedures weren't being called, and then when i realised it, i had to go through and reassociate about 30 events!
    Yes, PITA but you get used to it. Supposed to be fixed in VS .NET 2005
    Also, i can't format the HTML in my page the way i want. If i reorganise the open/close tags to make it more readable for me, VS just moves em all back to where they used to be. That made my life hell earlier when i was trying to read through the HTML to tweak it to perfection.
    It happens, but I use Dreamweaver or notepad2 to tweak the HTML outside of VS.NET after I'm sure the page won't need to be worked on again.
    Out of interest, is it a stripped down linux OS?
    Wow, MYOB will be so insulted! It's BeOS IIRC ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

WizZard wrote:
    Yes, PITA but you get used to it. Supposed to be fixed in VS .NET 2005
    Oh, so they want us to upgrade to the latest and greatest VS.NET instead of fixing the bug in 2003? Bastids, all of em! Its a bug, not a feature, they should fix it, not force us to upgrade to make it work right. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

... Its a bug, not a feature, they should fix it, not force us to upgrade to make it work right. :mad:
    Yrue, but maybe it's an undocumented feature! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

WizZard wrote:
    One really, really long one...

I've seen code like that.. no seriously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm not "tweaking" the text, i just like it formatted in a more readable manner. When i write my C# code all my line spacings, indents and suchlike are all perserved. VS doesn't go rearranging my c# code removing excess empty lines, or reformatting the layout of my comments, but it does this for the HTML code. Which is rediculous! Theres no reason whatsoever for it to rearrange my HTML code. It doesnt do it for c#, so why should it do it for the HTML. It was really annoying me last friday because i had to wade through the HTML tags fixing a few errors, and finding closing/opening tags was a pain due to the fact VS kept moving em on me.
    I think the reason it does it for the html and not for the C# is that it views the C# as 'your' code but the html belongs to it. It wants you to design the page visually and it creates the html code from what you do in the designer window. Because it has to generate the designer window from the html code it tries to keep it in a form it can parse easily. Just a guess, I've only payed with ASP.Net little bit, but I've come across other similar issues with other IDEs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hobbes wrote:
    I've seen code like that.. no seriously.

Check out some of the stuff on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I've been using it a little bit and I haven't had these problems. But that said I don't use the design window for layout, we use CSS and XML froms for that. Usually its closing tags as part of the intellisense. Theres a bunch of shortcut keys for intellisense that allow you accept or ignore what it suggests.

Personally I find it a great IDE coming from VB. The only problems I've experienced is people trying to bend it to their way of working rather than going along with .Net Framework. We've had a few minor issues with sourcesafe and .net though.

Advertisement