Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone line problem

Options
  • 29-06-2005 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi BBS

Moved in last week and trying to get me head around the telephone wiring. Found the POE that had an eircom plug on. This plug comes in two parts. If I take the first plate off there are no wires attched. On the back there is what looks like an RJ45 connection which I presume is for the that plug to work when you push it back onto the rest of the plate. So when I take the second part of the plate off I see the wires connected from the out side.

Now the house is wired with five additional lines + the one on the POE. Behind the scond plate there are 5 cables but they are not connected. So can some one tell me what I need to do to conncet the rest of the house.

1 do I just wire the rest to the POE terminals in the same colour order?
    2 or on the back of the first plate there are a number of puch down and screw in connectors.

White punch down connectors
    Pink connector
    Black screw in connectors

Do I use these and in what order do I use them ?

thanks for any help

Garyh3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is the line into the house live yet?

Normally eircom connect the line outside the house in the plastic box. If the line is connected one of the five wires should be live.

On the back of the phone box there are screw terminals, If there were only a couple of cables to join you would connect them directly into the terminals, However five cables would be very tricky. Join the correct pair from each wire together including a pair from the phone socket so you should have six joined together, Put them into block connectors and screw tight and be carefull with the cables as they can break quite easily if bent. So you should then have a single cable wired into the socket and a connection with six cables.

Stick to the same colours everywhere normally its the blues, Have a look in the box outside your house and see what colours the line is connected in on. The main line into the box from the road is normally a black wire. This is normally joined to a white wire which goes into your phone socket inside so its very importent to get the connection colours correct.

Also open up another phone socket and see what colours are used to be sure of you connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

i think the connection is probably an rj11 rather than rj45.

if you intend that all the phone points are going to use the same telephone line, then all you need to do is connect each core on each of the 5 cables to its equivalent on the eircom box (hopefully, the same colours are used to make it easier). you can use a junction box for this, or just some screw in terminal block (chocolate block). whatever you use, make sure a good contact is made, to ensure quality sound/data transmission.

i'm not sure what the punch down connectors and screw in connectors are for. this may be a junction box, in which case the punch down connectors are possibly for the input from the eircom side, and the screw in ones are to allow you to connect your multiple output cables. if u post a pic, it might help.

rj11 normally has 6 connectors, and 6 core cable, but only 2-5 are actually needed. you could have 4 core, 6 core or even 8 core cable (in the unlikely event that it's cat5 cable)

if you don't have any luck with the good folk here, your best bet is to google for how to connect up rj11 connectors, wrt colours etc. i think there may be a crossover element to the wiring too, to allow for transmit/receive, similar to rj45 crossover cabling. this may be already done in the socket wiring.

hope this helps a little

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi guys

thanks for the reply, however it deff. looks like a Male RJ45 this is on the inside of the plate (to big for an RJ11) and connects to the 2nd part of the box. The RJ11 is on the outside of this piece, so I think that just makes that RJ11 live when you connect it back to the other plate.

I will take a pic tomorrow and post
    Eircom has said that its live
    I will open up the box outside and have a look tonight
    I think they installed only 4 core as there is only one cable with 4 wires.

Garyh3

Hi all
    Here are the pictures of the eircom connections (both parts)

Can someone explain what the connections are used for and how I would connect up the 5 other lines in the house (cables already at the POE)

thanks

Garyh3

if i'm not mistaken, the screw in terminals marked s1, s2, l1 and l2 are the ones you need. now you just need to figure out which colours to connect to which terminals.

• Advertisement

Hi patrido

Does that mean that I just have to connect the 1 pair of all the five cables to the S1 and S2 and then I connect the other pair of the five cables to the I1 and I2 to make all the 5 connections in my house active.

thanks

Garyh3

yep, when u find out which colours go to which terminals -
    - take one wire of a particular colour from each of the 5 cables;
    - strip back the insulating sheath exposing about 10mm of the core (if that's not already done. use a proper wire stripper, as a knife will break some of the strands);
    - twist the cores around each other to get a good connections;
    - stick the twisted cores into the terminal (if they'll fit), and screw to secure them (not too tightly as its pretty weak cable);
    - repeat for each of the other 3 cores/terminals.

this should make all 5 sockets live.

Thanks patrido

@ard builder didnt label anything up so I dont know which is which in the house .

pot luck I suppose as I dont have a line tested

Garyh3

Hi garyh3,

This is what you do, I do it alot in work.

1. Open another socket in the house and see what colours are wired into the socket.

2. Strip back the five wires and strip the pair that you know is used at each socket around the house, The coloured pair should be the same for each socket.

3. If the colours are blue and white lets say, Join all the blues together and then also join all the whites together.

4. Get a small section of cable about 8"long and also join the blue from that to the blue on the bunch of blues and do the same for the white.

5. Now join the other end of the small piece if cable onto where the orange and white in connected at the back of the socket, It doesnt matter what colours you join onto, Blue to orange or blue to white.

6. You should now have two bunches of cables with six in each. Put a connector block on each bunch and tighten.

7. Push your connectors into the wall and screw on the back of the socket the screw on the front plate and bobs your uncle.

PS. Before screwing everything together make sure you have a line everywhere to save you undoing everything.

*double post*

• Advertisement
Advertisement