Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Pc Case

Options
  • 29-06-2005 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a Queit Enough Computer case for a Media Pc,
    Go Offered a 450 Watt Qtec Gold Dual-fan PSU
    And Similar to this https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=121478

I know Qtec arent the Best psu by any means but for noise purposes?

50Euro for Both of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Stay away from Qtec.

They often give out unstable voltages which will cause crashes and possible hardware death. Not worth it.

Most of the high quality PSU are considered quiet. My Tagan is near silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yeah i might just buy a Silent Psu Rather than buying new case.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get a nice-looking desktop/tower case, some silent fans, decent PSU and some sound insulation and you should be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

The Case i have isent the Worse the Fans are Fairly Silent, Could do with a New Silent CPU Cooler too. This is my Present Case: The PSU is a tad loud for my liking actually to loud, Its a [size=-1]EYE-T 450 SWITCHING PSU Dual Fan[/size]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Q-Tec PSU = The loudest thing EVER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Q-Tec PSU = "I don't really mind if my PC doesn't work sometimes, or blows up"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

arg, Thermaltake case, and you want to have that in your living room sitting beside your Hifi, DVD player and even the lowly Xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

SyxPak wrote:
    arg, Thermaltake case, and you want to have that in your living room sitting beside your Hifi, DVD player and even the lowly Xbox?

thats what i was thinking, u need a nice sleek looking case, with no plastic visible, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

if it's a quiet psu you're looking for get a seasonic one off www.koolnquiet.co.uk or www.xcase.co.uk. They're the quietest fan cooled psus you can get and pass the 80% efficiency test.

If you want a quiet case get one that takes 120mm fans and isn't aluminium. As it's a media pc, go with an athlon 64 cpu, underclock and undervolt it a bit and you'll be able to run it passively cooled with a decent heatsink such as the thermalright xp120 or the scythe ninja.

Quiet fan brands are nexus, papst, globe and panaflo. If you can't afford nexi get one of the other 3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i got a hiper type-r psu really silent it has 1* 120mm(instead of 2 80mm) fan 14dba to be exact 480w amd/p4

• Advertisement

just checked the specs for the fan used on the hiper type-r, 34dba at the standard 12v. I know it'll be running at lower rpm most of the time but i'd eat my hat if that fan ever makes less than 18dba of noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah, 14dbA is bull****. No way it's that quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

search for 19608 on http://www.jes.de/
    i have this and it is VERY quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jc94062

I'm assuming overclockers 12dBA Papst fan is also a tad off?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/zalman_fans.html

Papst 8412 NGL 80mm fan (4 pin) (FG-003-PA)

dBA = 12

Consider how hard it is to find Nexus fans in the UK (which are what, 17dBA at slow speeds?) I'd consider that one, but I doubt it can really be that quiet, can it?

jc94062 wrote:
    I'm assuming overclockers 12dBA Papst fan is also a tad off?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/zalman_fans.html

Papst 8412 NGL 80mm fan (4 pin) (FG-003-PA)

dBA = 12

Consider how hard it is to find Nexus fans in the UK (which are what, 17dBA at slow speeds?) I'd consider that one, but I doubt it can really be that quiet, can it?

It seems a bit low, but not too much, it only pushes under 20 cfm so it's naturally going to be very quiet. If you're going to use them you'd need to be sure if that's enough to cool your system though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jc94062

Good point, the current one in there tho (top of case) is so noisy (left over coolermaster that came with the case) that I've had to slow it to like 1200 RPM, given that I'd probably be able to run a new one at a faster speed I'm hoping it won't make too much difference.

Thanks for the feedback tho, good to know it probably isn't complete rubbish being that quiet and therefore worth a shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'm a stickler for noise, so I picked up this 80mm Papst fan to cool my Thermalright SLK948U CPU heat sink. Works a treat, nice a quiet too. In hindsight, I'd have gone for the 92mm version.

Advertisement