Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suing due to a sports injury

Options
  • 29-06-2005 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

A friend off mine got injured playing football and is now planning on suing the person who did the damage.

Any stories about this happening in your neck of the woods?

what was the outcome?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Number of factors to consider. If they're both members of the same club there's a thorny legal issue there. Even if not, there's a requirement to prove maliciousness (for punitive damages) or reckless endangerment (for medical and future expenses).

Best advice I can give is to go see a solicitor - most of them give a free consultation. (S)He can tell him better what the options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

A friend of mine in college got a punch off a guy in a football match. Fncked up his eye so he's nearly blind in it. He wouldn't be the type of person who would sue anyone on a whimb, but hes sueing the club of the player who punched him. Too right though, hes had to visit the hospital a load of times so i'm sure the bills are mounting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

yup sure is a grey area
    nice to have any pics or any video cameras there on the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved from PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

You'll have to show clear intent to injure and definite maliciousness in the tackle. He would also have show that it's outside the rules of the game(a boxer can't sue for being punched in the face). The problem is that people get (badly) hurt all the time out of sports but in most cases it isn't deliberate so I hope he's very sure of what he is doing.

I'd hate to see the situation whereby an injury from a mistimed tackle could be lawsuit as it would ruin sport for everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement