Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holotropic Breathwork

• 29-06-2005 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has tried Holotropic Breathwork? It is basically the use of the breath and meditative music to enter an altered state, where much healing takes place. A friend of mine (also a Vipassana meditator) has tried this technique, and found it very powerful and quite helpful.

You can find more info here:
    http://www.breathwork.com/

and for Ireland:
    http://www.breathingtime.com/

I'm considering doing a workshop pretty soon, so if anyone has any advice or experience, it would be nice to discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I've wanted to do this for nearly two years now, and never got around to it. Finally took the plunge today and booked myself into a workshop this very weekend!!

Will let you know how it goes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cool, good luck.

A guy I lives with swears by the power of breathing. Not enough people really Breath aparently. He never really let's up as to what exactly he's on about though.

Let us know how it goes.

Yeah, the breath is pretty amazing. I've done a lot of ana-pana meditation, which is basically observation of the breath. At first it seems a simplistic and limited technique, but when you realise the power of it and what it can open up... you just go deeper and it becomes a more powerful tool. The mind becomes very concentrated and sharp, and with a lot of practice it can bring about the experience of non-ordinary states.

Back from my course... still quite spaced out, and feeling very "open" (probably shouldn't be online eh?).

Very powerful technique. When you go into the altered state your awareness increases, and the inner healer takes over to bring you on whatever journey is necessary for you at that time. My experience was very positive, a lot of energy was released in different ways (voice and physical movement mostly, no visual stuff). Connection to spirit feels strengthened, and I feel it helps meditation.

Would not recommend it to someone who hasn't done meditation or some sort of healing in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Surprised no one has added to this thread in 5 years. Quite simply I wouldn't be alive if I hadn't discovered Holotropic Breathwork under the watchful eye of Prof. Ivor Browne in the "church" in St. Brendan's Hospital in Grangegorman many years ago. ;)

• Advertisement

Dagon wrote: »
    You can find more info here:
    http://www.breathwork.com/
    and for Ireland:
    http://www.breathingtime.com/

The Breathingtime website which normally shows workshop dates run by Jean Farrell at her centre in Westport (normally once a month) and in Tullow is down at the moment. However here are the workshop dates that I'm aware of:

Westport:
    October 7th - 10th (three day workshop with two breathings per person)
    November 5th - 7th
    December 10th - 12th
    You can contact her at billjeanfarrell@eircom.net

Tullow:
    October 15th - 17th (I'm not 100% certain of this date but there is a workshop here in October)

Alternatively Martin Duffy runs holotropic breathwork weekends in Dunderry, Co. Meath about 3 times a year. Their next breathwork weekend is:

Dunderry, Co. Meath:
    November 5th - 7th Full details here.

James Cunnane runs one day workshops in Wicklow. Full details here.

Newcastle, Co. Wicklow:
    October 23rd
    December 6th

Alternatively if you wish to do a one to one workshop, Elisclare Lynch-O'Connor runs one to one sessions in Dun Laoghaire on Sundays. Contact her here.

If you wish to make contact with people in Ireland and worldwide you can join the holotropic breathwork community http://www.ahbi.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

I believe Shamanism Ireland @ Dunderry Park also does Holotropic Breathwork workshops...

I believe Shamanism Ireland @ Dunderry Park also does Holotropic Breathwork workshops...

Yes BardWest they are Martin Duffy's workshops which I have mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wholeness

Just come on to the site interested in hearing about others experience of holotropic breathwork.:):)

Welcome to the site wholeness. Send me a pm and I'll only be delighted to tell you of my experiences of holotropic breathwork :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HARNESS

Hey Lighthouse,

Found this thread when googling holotropic breathwork in Ireland. Anyway, attempting to find out some more information about experiences with holotropic breathwork on behalf of a friend of mine who's sadly non computer savvy so forums like this are out of his reach for now.

He has taken breathwork sessions before, has had some positive experiences but also negative ones.

At this stage I think he needs some people who will listen to him and understand and sympathise with him, maybe people who have undergone similar experiences to him before. A support network of some sort would be invaluable although that's just my opinion.

So any information would be very welcome and much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi,
    Is there any chance you could get your friend to send me a pm. I'd be delighted to answer any questions he might have. Check out www.ahbi.org where you can get in contact with other people who have undertaken this type of work.

lighthouse wrote: »
    James Cunnane runs one day workshops in Wicklow. Full details here.

Newcastle, Co. Wicklow:
    October 23rd
    December 6th

Actually the December workshop is on December 4th.
    Either there is something wrong with my eyesight or it was originally misprinted on the goldenspearshealing website.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ConnectDJs

Looks interesting alright. Am I right to think Stan Grof had something to do with developing these techniques?

Yes he's the man allright. He is still involved in the training eventhough he is around the 80 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wholeness

I was googling holotropic breathwork in Ireland and I came across this website http://www.holotropicbreathworkireland.com. Just wondering if anybody knows anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 excellence

wholeness wrote: »
    I was googling holotropic breathwork in Ireland and I came across this website http://www.holotropicbreathworkireland.com. Just wondering if anybody knows anything about it.

That is Jean Farrell's website. She used to use the breathingtime website but that is no longer being updated. Jean is probably the most experienced holotropic breathwork facilitator in Ireland having been facilitating holotropic breathwork sessions at her specially built centre in Westport near Croagh Patrick since the late 90s. She is also a practising psychotherapist and tutor on the Grof holotropic breathwork training modules. You can read more about her by clicking on the link below:
    http://www.holotropicbreathworkireland.com/Page400.htm

wholeness wrote: »
    Just come on to the site interested in hearing about others experience of holotropic breathwork.:):)
    HARNESS wrote: »
    Hey Lighthouse,

Found this thread when googling holotropic breathwork in Ireland. Anyway, attempting to find out some more information about experiences with holotropic breathwork on behalf of a friend of mine who's sadly non computer savvy so forums like this are out of his reach for now.

He has taken breathwork sessions before, has had some positive experiences but also negative ones.

At this stage I think he needs some people who will listen to him and understand and sympathise with him, maybe people who have undergone similar experiences to him before. A support network of some sort would be invaluable although that's just my opinion.

So any information would be very welcome and much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Holotropic breathwork is also discussed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Eoin Meegan

Hi, sorry if your quiery has gone up a while ago, only found it today. Holotrophic breathing was discovered by Stanislas Grof. It is deep circular breathing which can release past hurts and old wounds stored at the cellular level. It is also sometimes known as Rebirthing, or Consciousness Connected Breathing.

hope you got your workshop and that it went well. There is a series of indepth articles that goes into this subject in greater detail, which I think are worth checking out. You can find them at http://www.the-unscripted-self.com/breathwork.html

hope you got your workshop and that it went well. There is a series of indepth articles that goes into this subject in greater detail, which I think are worth checking out. You can find them at http://www.the-unscripted-self.com/breathwork.html

Eoin that article does not deal with holotropic breathwork if you read the first couple of lines in it.

• Advertisement

hi lighthouse,

you're right it focusses more on what is known as rebirthing, but having experienced both I now think they are pretty much the same. The breathing technique is the same, although as that article pointed out, there are some who claim they are totally different. :)

Eoin,
    I have never experienced re-birthing but from what I know of it, it is directed by the facilitator to a great deal. Holotropic breathwork of which I have considerable experience of, is very much client directed. That is, the client "scans" their mind (unconsciously of course) and the most emotionally charged aspects at a particular time come to the surface. It's strength lies in the belief that we can all heal ourselves, we have the inner mechanism to do it in a safe environment with proper facilitation. We are not relient on any skills as such in a facilitator.

thanks for replying,

actually rebirthing isnt really directed by the facilitator, that's may be a bit of a misconception. Even the word 'rebirthing' is misleading - I prefer to use Conscious Connected Breathing myself - as some think it's about reliving the birth process, which it's not. When I wrote that article first I also thought there was a huge difference between it and holotrophic breath work, but now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MorrisseyMc

I am going to do a holotropic breath weekend in Dunderry Park in Meath.
    I am looking forward, nervous anticipation maybe .
    Will feed back after.

Mx

Will feed back after.

Mx

Cool. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Will feed back after.

Mx

How did the weekend go for you MorrisseyMc?

Hi Lighthouse,
    I am delighted to say I really found it amazing. I am a trainee psychotherapist, and went to try and remove some blocks I cant seem to get past.

While its not for the fainthearted , i am very glad i did it, and also glad i have a therapist who knows me well and I could safely process the experience with her.

The place its self, and the weekend besides the breathwork was very enjoyable, and I felt I made some great connections with people i wouldnt meet in my everyday life. There is a huge emphasis on the power of nature , and you spend some time getting back in touch with the earth.

Also the food is fab, all vegetarian. Am happy to answer any more questions

Maria

Hi Lighthouse,
    I am delighted to say I really found it amazing. I am a trainee psychotherapist, and went to try and remove some blocks I cant seem to get past.

While its not for the fainthearted , i am very glad i did it, and also glad i have a therapist who knows me well and I could safely process the experience with her.

The place its self, and the weekend besides the breathwork was very enjoyable, and I felt I made some great connections with people i wouldnt meet in my everyday life. There is a huge emphasis on the power of nature , and you spend some time getting back in touch with the earth.

Also the food is fab, all vegetarian. Am happy to answer any more questions

Maria

Delighted to hear that Maria. I have considerable experience of holotropic breathwork and consider it a major factor in helping me overcoming severe depression. Not for the faint hearted alright as you said.
    How many people were on the workshop?

Lighthouse,
    I can see how it would be hugely beneficial for depression. There were around twenty at the workshop.
    Have you done many sessions ?
    Its something i will certainly do again.

M

• Advertisement

Yea, I have done a lot of it. I originally did it with Prof. Ivor Browne in St. Brendan's hospital in Dublin in the mid 90's. In recent years I have done a lot of it again.

Advertisement