Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling everything with eircom

• 29-06-2005 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭

I signed up to eircom on the 29th March for 2 months free BB, the existing line was not connected so they connected it. The 2 months free trial is up in about 10 days. I want to cancel absouletly everything. They have sent us a bill of €218 for our usage so far. When we connected we were told that we could cancel everything once the free trial was over and that everything was going to be free.

The bill breaks down as follows:

4 months line rental with talktime €120
    broadband connection fee that is supposed to be free ~€50
    one month broadband subscription €40
    and then vat on top of that.

It took them about 6 weeks to send out the modem so that meant that we end up having to pay an extra 2 months line rental.

Is there any way that we could get of with just paying the first 2 months line rental or what are our options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Why would you even pay them 2 months? Free means free. If they dont get the router out to you thats their problem. Send them an email back, refusing to pay, as per agreement. If they argue with you (and do this on your second email to them, not your 4th or 5th where you're still arguing with them), tell them that you're not going to be bullied and that you are going to lodge a complaint with Comreg and the ASAI about them.

People will say that Comreg is crap, which is true to a certain extent, but they can help you with a problem like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

get rid of the BB within the trial period, confirm its done and deactivate the line itslelf

you then owe Eircom €0 BB and some excess line rental as you see it.

Where were you told about the free line rental , we would all love to see that one in writing :) !!!!! There would have been a free line reconnection around March but free line rental from Eircom I have never heard the like of it in all my life !. Eircom do not do free line rental and never will .

I make it 4 x line rental months incl talktime and 1 x line disconnect charge , = (4 x €30) + (1 x €30) or €150 total (+ calls)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Pack their sh!t back into the box and send it back to the given FREEPOST address.

As long as you know you ordered when there was a free trial and have been connected for less than 2 months you should be fine.

Ericom term the type of bill you got as "advanced billing" and make it out to be a great service for their customers!!!
    They tried the same scam on me before my free trial was up at christmas...sent their crap back straight away after being billed the second time for it and before the 2 month trial was up.

Got BT Broadband fairly soon after that ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like they're trying to rob you, so nothing new there then. On the whole free trial thing, as long as you cancel within the trial (up till the last day and in writing of course) they shouldn't charge you anything, right? But after a contract ends you need to give 30 days notice of cancellation. I assume what they are trying to do is charge you for this 30 day notice period, even though they shouldn't be. Naughty naughty Eircom, don't let them away with it.

There shouldn't be a connection fee either as you only get charged that after you start the contract. Which is a little strange I think. Waving the connection fee could be used as an incentive for people to keep the BB connection, instead the fee is one of the major reasons for cancelling after a trial.

The line rental you're stuck with though, unless you complain loud enough and they decide to write you off as a bad debt. Very unlikely though.

Advertisement