Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Readable" modern classics

Options
  • 29-06-2005 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

Looking to beef up my collection at home with abebooks.com, preferably with books that I would re-read. I would like to get some modern classics, rather than my usual disposable crime type of book. However, I don't really want to get any books that are hard work to get through.

I was thinking along the lines of:
    1984 - George Orwell
    Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

Any suggestions out there?

thanks,

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Catcher in the Rye
    Dubliners
    Slaughterhouse 5

I'll probably think of more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd definitely recommend 1984, a great book, as is Animal Farm.

Personally, I'm not a Catch-22 fan, I think it's obtuse, but I know lots of people will disagree with me.

Try some of Steinbeck's writing as well. He writes simply, yet captures a lot. Try "The Grapes of Wrath" or "Of Mice and Men"

Another personal favourite of mine is "The End of the Affair" by Graham Greene, and "Brighton Rock" is also worth a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=458915626

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=377348560

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=533544579

not... really like the two books you listed above, but they're all pretty short (and cheap on that website.. yikes), easy to get through (reading wise.. they can be pretty hard emotionally.. my mam wasn't happy with me when she finished reading "johnny got his gun", made me swear never to give her a book like that to read again) and I really, really loved them.

Flowers for Algernon is excellent, somehow I didn't even consider it as my copy is a part of the SF Masterworks series. It's a great book, very sad.

yeah, there was a movie made too.. also very good, but I can't find it anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks a million folks, I am not particularly looking for books in the style as the ones I mentioned, they are just ones that I have enjoyed reading before - all suggestions are more than welcome :)

have you read the Hitchikers guide to the galaxy? a trilogy of five books... five short books, you can prob pick them all up in one copy cheap enough..

really, really, REALLY funny

Mordeth wrote:
    have you read the Hitchikers guide to the galaxy? a trilogy of five books... five short books, you can prob pick them all up in one copy cheap enough..

really, really, REALLY funny

I knew I had forgotten some to add to the list - I have indeed read them - excellent and classic stuff! - good call Mordeth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Try some Graham Greene maybe ("Our Man In Havana" was one I really liked).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

animal farm and 1984,although animal farm takes about an hour to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

dudara wrote:
    Try some of Steinbeck's writing as well. He writes simply, yet captures a lot. Try "The Grapes of Wrath" or "Of Mice and Men"

Try East of Eden, fantastic book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kenshi

dudara wrote:
    I'd definitely recommend 1984, a great book, as is Animal Farm.

Personally, I'm not a Catch-22 fan, I think it's obtuse, but I know lots of people will disagree with me.

Another personal favourite of mine is "The End of the Affair" by Graham Greene, and "Brighton Rock" is also worth a look.
    Yeah. I have read some Steinbeck. He is excellent. You can see why he got a Nobel Prize. I am currently reading "The Grapes of Wrath". I like it so far. Read "Of Mice and Men for the Junior Cert and thought it was class". Also if you are into a light read by a classic order try the "Pearl". It's good. I must recommend Of Mice and Men. I intend to read "East of Eden" after "The Grapes of Wrath"

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Here's two titles that seem like the kinda thing you're after.

'Norwegian Wood' by Haruki Murakami and 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card.

Eh, I know they're sort of random choices but I've re-read both of them recently so they're fresh in my mind. Beh.

Here's two titles that seem like the kinda thing you're after.

'Norwegian Wood' by Haruki Murakami and 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card.

Eh, I know they're sort of random choices but I've re-read both of them recently so they're fresh in my mind. Beh.

Haven't read the first one, but loved Ender's game - another two for the list, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

Last Exit To Brooklyn - Hubert Selby Jr.

The Quiet American - Graham Greene

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

shuushh wrote:

The Quiet American - Graham Greene

Uh, I'm sorry but 'Last Exit to Brooklyn' is not what I'd describe as "Readable".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

bleh different strokes for different folks theres tons of book critics that would agree with you and tons that would agree with me, i think if anything its gotten more readable as time goes on as modern writers have been influenced by the way selby got rid of punctuation marks and "he said she said" etc and his general crazy rant style in that book

ive read it a few times now tis worth adding to your collection although i can understand how some people could find it tough to read

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey

would be another one looking up

shuushh wrote:

Not an easy read to start with, as it is written without punctuation etc, but it is a great book.

I also loved reading Trainspotting.

Advertisement