Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what point is someone crossing the line

• 15-06-2001 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

At what point is someone crossing the line of haveing a argement and starts beening rude? what is a valid complant and what is not?
    what can or should be done about people that are more that just rude but insulting to others on the boards?
    banning, too hard ?
    admin haveing a word, will it make any diff ?

I would like to know what people + the Admins and mods think on this.
    I have seen a number of mods that i think that they might be hard but in the long run are better for there boards. Humanities, After Hours, Humour.

What do you think ?????

Coyote

You try to be smarter,
    And I will try to be nicer

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tuff Luv smile.gif

I hardly think Kharn is harsh on the humour boards.

They cross the line when they ruin someone elses enjoyment of the site. They get warned if its borderline and if they dont adjust or they lapse back pretty quickly then they get banned.

No ban is final remember, you can just sign up again and behave yourself and we wont know its the same person.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Do not thing that Kharn is Harsh in any way.
    I think he runs the board very well.
    It's to do with the way other people can get away with stuff on
    Some boards that would not be let happen on the rest of boards.ie
    People can be dam rude on some of the boards and the mods do not
    do any thing about it.

the point why i started this post is this one
    http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum3/HTML/002352.html
    now if someone dose not like what I say that's fine even if
    they do not like me that's up to them. But to insult me over a disability
    is in my eyes going too far. it's very well known that I'm dyslexic.
    I think that he was just plain rude and insulting.
    Now I know that at lease 2 of the mods had a look at what he and I said
    and not one of the said one thing about what he said.

But I think that some of the mods do not take an active
    role in the boards they mod.
    the things that he said to me had been talked about on
    the Humanities board and 99% of people disliked the type of
    Comments that he was making.

Coyote

You try to be smarter,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i dont think theres a right answer.
    crossing the line is based on an individual as people percieve things differently.
    mostly its easy to see, sometimes not.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I barely had to click an edit or delete button the first nine months or so of the Humanities boards exsistence. The last three months has been another story.

Any stupid or troll-like posts I just delete, gratuitous abuse or posts nitpicking spelling or grammar as an attempt to win an argument are edited or deleted. I lock anything thats either very boring or could be carried on via email e.g. that 'who would you fight?' thread.

I think insulting someone over a recognised disability is too far, personally. Most other situations are called as I see them, depending on what side of the bed I got out of that morning smile.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just to point out that I apologised for my comments about Coyote's spelling and grammer in that thread a short while ago, before I saw this thread. You can think what you want, and I agree that taking the mick out of someone with a disability is wrong, but although it may be well known that Coyote is dyslexic, I didn't know it - and let's be honest, I still don't know it for a fact.

In all honestly, I reckon I'm a pretty moral and ethical person, and I guess it's possible I shouldn't have done it in the first place, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure. There's an awful lot of bluff, blunder and noise on boards.ie, and you have to make judgements about users and post appropriately (or not at all). Political correctness is all well and good, but it can go too far sometimes.

I'd also like to state for the record that I still think Coyote is talking out his proverbial. Nothing to do with his spelling or grammer, but substance. Sorry Coyote, I guess we just have different beliefs and outlooks. And definitions of what consitutes defamation of character - if you called me a lying cheating scumbag I'd sue the behind off you. smile.gif

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<start thoughts>

Thing is there will always be some people who will comment on grammar and spelling.. its always going to be the way unfortunaly.

It wasn't put across in an exactly nice fashion in this case, in fact quite the opposite, resulting in the slightly hottempered and lengthened posts by both yourself and dahamasta.

It has to be said though that nowhere did dahamasta say "you are dyslexic, your opinions are invalid" or anything in that manner, in fact the disability wasn't mentioned until you brought it up yourself in which case he apologised, this is the only way people can change their habits, otherwise ignorance will reign (although thats no excuse imo, attacking spelling/grammar is a pretty low form of arguing a topic)

It would have been better after the first "you are posting gibberish" remark to mention this rather than retort to more flaming and insults: "dahamsta i do not give a flying Fuc*K what you think to be to tell the truth."

<end thoughts> smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Regardless if you knew or not, claiming that someones spelling or grammer sucks as a basis to win an argument is pretty lame.

Actually it's beyond lame as it shows you didn't understand what the other person tried to get across and are trying to claim your comments are better because the other person clearly hasn't had the same education as you.

dahamsta what do you think i have been doing setting up this great big plot for the last 3 years on the boards and all the people I have met in real life plus on IRC just ask anyone in #quake.ie or #fortress.ie just so I can use it in one argument against you.
    No I wish it were that easy. By the way I was diagnosed with Dyslexia 10 years ago. And you apologised after Devore dragged it up because I had posted to Admin board. This does not have any thing to do with Political correctness, it’s to do with manners and being polite to people. Even after all the things you said about me I never said one rude thing about you.
    It’s your right not to believe what I say, that’s your choice.

Kail the point I’m making is that he should not have been let get to the stage of saying things like that about anyone, Dyslexia or not. And I thing the mods could have at the leased posted that it was out of order when they read it. No one said any thing till I brought it up here.
    "dahamsta I do not give a flying Fuc*K what you think to be to tell the truth."
    That is not a insult it’s the truth I do not care what he thinks. It’s not running him down in anyway.

Hobbes your right about it being the worst way to win a argument.
    But it has not got any thing to do with education. I have a very good education.
    Dyslexia has not got any thing to do with education. It’s a difference way of the brain working. And I think you know that already Hobbes from other posts.

Coyote

You try to be smarter,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

heh Coyote man, i agree with you, but why bother.ppl will be ass's and sometime you may be one?.just let it slide.
    life is easier with zero confrontation.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

chernobyl in many ways your right this is not realy about that old post it's about trying to make sure that in the futher it does not happen again, that is what makes the boards better for everone in the long run.

Coyote

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And you apologised after Devore dragged it up because I had posted to Admin board.</font>

No I didn't. I posted my response on the tech board, and then I came into the Admin board and spotted this thread. If you don't believe me, ask an Administrator to check the logs. It's all there in ones and zeros.

As to making an argument based on spelling and grammer, I used it because Coyote was - in my opinion - bluffing about his knowledge of telecommunications, and I was under the impression that he was a teenager trying to be the big man. Read over the thread again and tell me there isn't a chance you might draw that conclusion.

As to your dysexia Coyote, like I said before, I don't know you from Adam. I'm not psychic.

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 16-06-2001).]

Advertisement