Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think wearing glasses makes a person less attractive?

• 29-06-2005 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Honestly?

I think: 35 votes

Glasses make a person appear less attractive
    0% 0 votes
    Glasses do not make a person appear less attractive
    100% 35 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭rideordie

less attractive...because of glasses??I don't think so..depends on the person of course but I think it's kind of sexy..I wouldn't mind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I supposed it depends on the person really. I have seen several people who wore glasses and they looked alot better for it. They are rather sexy on some women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

no, i know a lot of hirls who look more attractive wearing glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

mmmmm secretary ...............
    uh no way do they make a person look less attractive

no leave them on babe , leave em on................ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Depends on the person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Depends on the style, no more than the wrong clothes can make some one look bad and the right ones make you look good. Everybody has the style that suits them. Speaking as some one who has worn glasses or contacts for the last 33 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In and of themselves they don't make someone less attractive but bad glasses can take away from someone's looks, glasses that suit someone, however, can make them more attractive.

So, Atari Jaguar tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭guest31

Well whether or not glasses make people look less attractive, it has to be said that the majority of people must feel that glasses make them feel less attractive cos otherwise why would there be such a demand for contact lenses / corrective eye surgery ... and how come when you go out at night, so few people wear their glasses out compared to during the day ? It's a confidence thing, I think people feel more confident in themselves glasses free. In saying that, some people look great with glasses, but even these, tend to switch to lenses on a night out ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Interestingly there was a study done on this, and people without glasses were considsirably more likely to score. I'll see if I can find the study (think it was on bbc website - 5 mins please)

/edit

It was New Scientist...

I would imagine it's all about confidence though - for me it is. I'd never have any success when I wore glasses, but with my contacts I was far more extravert, and well... did better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Zulu wrote:
    Interestingly there was a study done on this, and people without glasses were considsirably more likely to score. I'll see if I can find the study (think it was on bbc website - 5 mins please)
    Hah yeah, I read that before aswell.

I think glasses can be good to disguise a big honker nose... but they suck ass if your eyes are one of your best features.

PS. I'm waiting for the OP to be banned for not posting this on "Fashion / Appearance" ... where's Trojan when you need him eh? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

guest31 wrote:
    It's a confidence thing, I think people feel more confident in themselves glasses free. In saying that, some people look great with glasses, but even these tend to switch to lenses on a night out ....

Some people who look good/sexy/alluring with glasses are damn goodlooking anyway!!

Like the case that guest31 cited, I'd pop in the lenses on a night out and bear the slight discomfort for the possible result of improving aesthetics. I'd wear contacts full-time if I didn't have to use VDUs for work and if I could obtain a pair that corrected my vision defect (astigmatism) optimally. In terms of choice of glasses, I go for pairs that have the least amount of frame and the most amount of visible eye structure.

But I hope it'll be a moot point, as I'm saving up for laser surgery late Autumn of this year, and am looking forward to never having to wipe or clean a synthetic lens ever again..... {Edit: not for another 10 years anyhow}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Zulu wrote:
    I would imagine it's all about confidence though - for me it is. I'd never have any success when I wore glasses, but with my contacts I was far more extravert, and well... did better.

Same here. I think it could have something to do with me not liking glasses in general (on me anyway). So now I wear my contacts all day everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Zulu wrote:
    It could also be on a deeper level. If a female is looking for a mate that will provide strong children they aren't going to pick someone that will most likely pass their myopia on to the children. And someone with myopia would make for a very poor hunter-gatherer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Depends on the person. And the glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Nah, you can be attractive with or without glasses. Just as long as they're not the Dennis Taylor type ;) One of those girls in All Saints looked really hot with glasses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Sifo

honestly i know how ya feel here, it varies from certain people. Some people (an i think im one of these people) can be a little conscious of wearing glasses. Its all about how ya feel yourself. ive been wearing glasses for about 12 years and just got used to wearing them but last year i got contacts aswell, i find contacts work better for me (Pulling Power wise)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

Theremin wrote:
    Honestly?
    As the rest said it depends on the individual they either do it for you or they dont!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Glasses can be waaay sexy on guys! I love it!!! :) Once they get the right type of glasses to suit their face. You ain't gonna think a pair of Deirdre from Corrie type glasses are sexy on someone!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

depends on the style of glasses and on the person, i've been using contacts for the past 3 years wore glasses for about 8 years before that. contacts are easier cos they dont steam up and you dont have to wipe them when it rains, but contacts can sometimes hurt your eyes and make you feel more tired than you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Depends on the glasses and the person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Read the wording of the poll - it's not "Do bad glasses make a person less attractive", it's just glasses in general.
    And with a sweeping generalising question like this surely the only answer can be No, glasses generally don't make a person less attractive. The answer depends upon to many things, like the style of the glasses, how the glasses really change the appearance of the person, most importantly how the glasses impact on the confidence of the person - I know I was very self-conscious about wearing glasses for about a year after I first got them (plus they were cr*ppy style as well, green frames...ugh).

But now I can't say it makes much of a difference tbh. Seems kinda uber-shallow to me, thinking that wearing glasses will have a detrimental impact on someone's looks, but meh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

all i'm going to say is Sexy Secretary!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I actually prefer women who wear glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

incisor71 wrote:
    Some people who look good/sexy/alluring with glasses are damn goodlooking anyway!!

Like the case that guest31 cited, I'd pop in the lenses on a night out and bear the slight discomfort for the possible result of improving aesthetics. I'd wear contacts full-time if I didn't have to use VDUs for work

aye, what he\she said.

After many different pairs, from truely horrendeous to not too bad, i can safely say i look better without glasses.
    That said, my gf got glasses recently and i think they make her look well sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've been wearing glasses for 10 years, the only time they ever pissed me off was when I was driving a motorbike on wet days - having them steam up inside a closed helmet is a bastard. Not an issue any more now that I'm on 4 wheels. Don't like contacts at all, i know I'd fall asleep with them in and then I'd be ****ed.

I think the right glasses look ultra sexy on the right girl :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

I like men with the right glasses, makes them look more intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

I agree ............ depends on the glasses and the person .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

women with glasses are dead sexy the whole office worker/librarian look, when i see a good lookin girl in glasses, makes me want to carelessly fling everything off a desk and bend her over it! :cool: ooooh baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

theres a girl that works in the bagel shop across the road and wears glasses....rraarrrrr!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Atari Jaguar

Totally depends on the person..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

guest31 wrote:
    Well whether or not glasses make people look less attractive, it has to be said that the majority of people must feel that glasses make them feel less attractive cos otherwise why would there be such a demand for contact lenses / corrective eye surgery ... and how come when you go out at night, so few people wear their glasses out compared to during the day ? It's a confidence thing, I think people feel more confident in themselves glasses free. In saying that, some people look great with glasses, but even these, tend to switch to lenses on a night out ....

I kinda do this although my main reason for wearing contacts out n about at night at the weekend etc is the fact that I lost and damaged my glassed a few times while out and pissed and whatnot. Also wearing my contacts during the day sometimes irritates my eyes so I prefer my glasses (or prescription sunglasses). I look equally good with or without glasses so that isn't an issue! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

I generally don't think people with glasses are less attractive than people without...but..

..I know a few people who wear contacts occassionally and I've noticed that contacts can give people a weird 'stare-y eye' effect! :eek:

Is this just their eyes getting used to wearing contacts...(or me thinking they look different with contacts?!)

Has anyone else noticed this?!

It could also be on a deeper level. If a female is looking for a mate that will provide strong children they aren't going to pick someone that will most likely pass their myopia on to the children. And someone with myopia would make for a very poor hunter-gatherer.

Hahaha ridiculous but funny! Especially considering (dunno if it's true or not) that I once read that short-sightedness is a sign of intelligence.

I generally don't think people with glasses are less attractive than people without...but..

..I know a few people who wear contacts occassionally and I've noticed that contacts can give people a weird 'stare-y eye' effect! :eek:

Is this just their eyes getting used to wearing contacts...(or me thinking they look different with contacts?!)

Has anyone else noticed this?!

They could be wearing tinted contacts or their eyes could just be a little irritated by them (it happens to all of contact-wearers at times!). At times I have noticed that my eyes can seem a little glassier when my lenses are in though so this may be it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Bit of a silly thread really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barryleonard

If they're gooch glasses then yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

me.... with my glasses on id say im not as handsome as without them :D

but i wouldnt say it makes girls less attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

no. the right kind of glasses can make a person hotter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭melancholymaidn

gotta say i have a major thing for guys with glasses!! they jus so sexy for some reason!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I always feel very self contious when I am wearing my glasses, so I say yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Feenikusu wrote:
    I like men with the right glasses, makes them look more intelligent.
    Sylvester Stallone in the film Nighthawks, he drops about 30 IQ points when he takes off the glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

To be honest, even though i wear glasses myself i can only say it's the shape of the face and style of frame the person wears that deems then good or bad looking.

For example, ladies love Johnny Depp, but he wears thick rimmed glasses most of the time. Or if any Alias fans are reading, Jennifer Garner don't look less beautiful when she's wearing specs for some scenes.

It's all about whether you are shallow enough to think someone uglier because they wear glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TailFeather

I love glasses on guys! It makes them look so damn hot! My boyfriend hates wearin his glasses but I'm always like NO.....leave them on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

If you're rather short-sighted (like me) the lenses on glasses make your eyes look very small and piggy. Or, if you're very longsighted, they can make you look like you've got a freakishly malproportioned face. Hence the booming contact lens/photorefractive surgery business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Depends on the glasses, if you got ugly glasses then your screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Confidence makes a person attractive. If someone feels more confident wearing lenses then they will come across as more confident when they do, and thus appear more attractive to others, and be more likely to have success. It's like the feast or famine effect in dating. If you have a gf/bf, you can get more attention than when you don't, because you appear as more (confident) attractive.

I'm amazed New Scientist bothered printing such rubbish research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Its really down to the person them selves.
    Some people look better in Glasses some dont.

I'm a fan of women wearing glasses it seems to give them a more mysterious look and appeal.
    i no a couple of women who wear glasses and they look even sweeter with there glasses on i.m.o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭guest31

"It's all about whether you are shallow enough to think someone uglier because they wear glasses."

It's not shallow to be honest, some people look so much better without glasses ... I've a friend who would experience lots of attention out at night with work crowd .. and then have one of them ask who she was during the day ... i.e. they didn't recognise her with her glasses on, this would knock anyone's confidence ... she got lasik, and it was only after this that people admitted glasses never suited her. For people with v bad eyesight, the styles and lens thickness aren't so flattering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It's all about whether you are shallow enough to think someone uglier because they wear glasses.
    So you wear glasses then...
    That's a ridiculous comment. We're talking about a person being attractive - and you bring shallowness into it. :rolleyes:

So, you don't find glasses attractive: you're shallow?
    You do find glasses attractive: you're not shallow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NikNik

Harry Potter glasses are the best tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement