Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol ...

Options
  • 26-06-2005 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

ya, ctyi has to be experienced to be believed. Its pure madness!! (smirnoff ice, wkd & bud:D)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

I remember the good ole days where people didn't drink at CTYI...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Lady penelopy

i dont remember(for obvious reasons), but personally i think its better without. not being much of a drinker myself i guess i cant really comment, but, i dont know, i just dont think its necessary. well, obv. its not, it never is, but its just...i dunno, someone help me out here...*looks at plunky expectantly*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

One of the large defining differences between CTYI and Irish College is the non-drinking thing about CTYI. Not ever having been to Irish College I can't comment from experience but from what I gather, there is... yeah, quite a bit of a difference between the two in that particular respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Really, really smart guys talking about drinking at CTYI on the CTYI board with the CTYI administrators reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Lady penelopy

oh please! the amount thats been discussed here already, theyre shocked as it is.

• Advertisement

Like what?Nothing has been discussed here and last year when they did discuss drinking they deleted it and banned people(the mods I mean).If you want to make them all paranoid and strict you're going the right way about it.

Let them be what they want to be. And also, who's paranoid when you're the one who thinks the staff have time to read everything here!.. Life in general is more fun without alcohol, ESPECIALLY when it's ILLEGAL for you guys...
    Let Neil/Podge ban me if they want to, I'm sure we'll be able to discuss it as the reasonable adults we are and come to some arrangement, should it come to that. Just remember that Jono087 is the one who brought it up...

@Lady Penelopy - you're right, it's not necessary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Wrong Liam. Plunky is talking about the way that drinking didn't used to happen at CTYI. Everyone knows it happens now, a few people are expelled as a result. However, last time the discussion was to the tune of "Lads, I was so twisted at CTYI, omglol." Or, in your words
    >>>Liam<<< says:
    i did ye
    >>>Liam<<< says:
    not too much tho
    >>>Liam<<< says:
    i wasn't caught, put it that way

Now that kind of thing makes CTYI look bad and brings down modwrath[tm]. This is just harmless recollection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Real mature raph.

I never said any of that Raphael, you must have the wrong person.Completely agree with Lady Penelope and Plunky.Drinking isn't necessary at CTYI and hasn't really got a place there.

• Advertisement

Isnt it like anything? Theres always a few who'll drink/few who wont, few who'll enjoy it regardless/ few who'll enjoy it only with drink/ few who'll detest the alcohol/ blah blah blah.

Personally I never drank anything in CTYI (nothing worth mentioning anyway), but i see how it could have been better/ could have been worse with it. Its down to the person really, they know the risks, and this is a really really pointless argument as pretty much everyone is singing of the same hymnsheet and stating the obvious, esp me.

Ramble ramble ramble

On another note why do these threads even have topics anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Sorry Liam, but you did. Chat logs don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

ColHol wrote:
    On another note why do these threads even have topics anymore?
    'Cause you gotta start somewhere, I guess.

I never drank anything there, don't remember anyone I knew doing it either.('Cept for a bunch of people on the train on the way home my first year, but I was only 12.) I guess I wouldn't mind people doing it for a laugh, but I really don't like when people are like, 'Nothing's fun unless we drink!' Same with people who break the rules just for the sake of doing so, if you know what I mean.

LiamD wrote:
    I never said any of that Raphael, you must have the wrong person.Completely agree with Lady Penelope and Plunky.Drinking isn't necessary at CTYI and hasn't really got a place there.
    Someone trying to cover their asses?! Paranoid about these apparent all-seeing CTYIstaff?!
    If I remember correctly, and I do, Liam once tried to get me to get him vodka - i brought him into M&S knowing full well they're WAY too upmarket to stock it...

I've seen the chatlog Liam, you did say that...
    That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭GlitterB

Good man yourself raphael you bringing up somethin from ages ago has achieved what exactly?
    Drinking is everywhere now and there are always some that will drink and some that wont but I dont think drinking at CTYI totally degrades what its all about or anything like that but y'all probs shouldnt do it.........because it says so in the rule thingy

Ouch - my head hurts from the lack of punctuation in that comment!

Its achievements were twofold: 1) an(other) amusing display of Liam trying to deny something;
    2) It brought back a couple of good New Ross memories!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

GlitterB wrote:
    but y'all probs shouldnt do it.........because it says so in the rule thingy

Perhaps you shouldn't do it because it's illegal also?

What the hell is peoples obsession with alcohol? Seriously now. Is it "cool" to drink at a young age? Such an incredible waste of money. ... And people want to drink at CTYI? What are you trying to forget? Is CTYI now that bad? People of course have done it before and have, when caught, rightly been ejected from CTYI.

*falls to his knees in praise of Podge...*

Also, hope your finals went okay!

Ask me Thursday. :)

I've no problem with the discussion. Once it's not something stupid like "how to get away with getting smashed and having an orgy at CTYI". I think people have a little more sense than that - I might be a tad too hopeful though.

Anyway I guess "drinking" at CTYI isn't a new thing. Just something I care to ignore - there were people kicked off of the course before (and during, I think) my time at CTYI. I just never heard much of it and it was only the odd one or two at most.

For those who don't know me/haven't guessed I don't drink, at all, ever... A lot of my friends do, that's their business. A good number don't (which has surprised me a good bit lately). That's life.

Save it for your college years, if you must. There's no reason I can see for anyone underage getting drunk etc - I mean I can understand a drop of wine at a family dinner sorta thing but we all know how unrealistic a view of life that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

id have to agree with colhol (if you look at his name quickly, it almost looks like alcohol..) there, i can see how ctyi would be better sometimes with drink but worse sometimes without it.
    but it is completely unnecessary. you can have the time of your life there and the fools who drink so much that they actually get caught deserve whatever they get.

teens and drinking just go together nowadays though. out of my group of friends, i only know 2 who dont drink, out of about 30ish id generally hang out with. and thats a group of people from rich areas, poor areas, all kinds of opinions and personalitites etc etc.
    we've discussed it, and decided that we resort to drink because there's nothing else to do (of course its the whole childish "im not allowed so i must" thing but..) there really isnt much else to do... we go to the cinema alot, grand, but its expensive.. or go to the plex and get started on, or go to the green and get started on, or go to a house party and have fun.. hmm.
    and with places like lidl, drink isnt expensive anymore. 2 litre bottle of cider is €3.50, the same amount as 4 cans of bulmers for a third of the cost. its insane.
    drugs drink and smoking have just become a big part of a teenagers life now, and i dont see how the government will change it..

(o what has happened to the thread i started? how'd it go from excitement of upcoming ctyi to drink culture etc...)

• Advertisement

halenger wrote:
    What the hell is peoples obsession with alcohol?
    We were discussing it, where did obsession come into it?
    halenger wrote:
    Is it "cool" to drink at a young age?
    Who said that? Except the sort of assholes as seen in papers recently, but is that really an accurate reflection on youth today, coz i dont think so.
    halenger wrote:
    Such an incredible waste of money. ...
    This is subjective, "in your opinion" in other words, plus as was said it doesnt take a lot of money to get merry, tipsy, locked or ossified, if ya really wanna get technical.
    halenger wrote:
    And people want to drink at CTYI?
    *shock*horror*, call the police
    halenger wrote:
    What are you trying to forget?
    Who said theyre trying to forget anything?
    halenger wrote:
    Is CTYI now that bad?
    CTYI is CTYI, jus because a small minority drink, doesnt mean all of a sudden its like the wez or ever will be.
    halenger wrote:
    People of course have done it before and have, when caught, rightly been ejected from CTYI.
    Well, they know the risks, they havent a leg to stand on if caught (literally and metaphorically) What of the people who might have had a small amount and had a good time? Are they also the scourge of ctyi?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

ColHol wrote:
    CTYI is CTYI, jus because a small minority drink, doesnt mean all of a sudden its like the wez or ever will be.

Thank gods for small mercies...

Jeez, Colhol, seems like SOMEone reads the Sunday World... Pfft for tabloids! I work in Spar, so I'm allowed diss on crappy papers - i see the ****e they pull in as articles every day!..

See see you just picked up on so many of my comments so completely wrong. They were general comments/statements. Not all CTYI oriented.

And you're gonna tell me it's not a waste of money? I hope you're having a laugh. Maybe you or younger people are buying the cheap drink from Lidl etc but I know so many people (my/college age) who blow 100/200 in a night or half/all their weeks wages in a weekend of drinking. Is that the reason to get a part time job now - to fund getting hammered?

If you really want me to call the Gardaí I will, I don't mind. Then again it's a bit of a waste of credit.

Oh and the comment about forgetting. Yeah that's one that gets me a lot. People who go out to have a good night and get so smashed that they don't remember it, none of it. I really can't see the point in that. I mean my memory is dreadful as it is. I don't need to start forgetting more things.

And yes, of course this is all my opinion - except for the illegality and kicking out of CTYI etc - they're matters of law/history&rules and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

halenger wrote:
    Oh and the comment about forgetting. Yeah that's one that gets me a lot. People who go out to have a good night and get so smashed that they don't remember it, none of it. I really can't see the point in that. I mean my memory is dreadful as it is. I don't need to start forgetting more things.
    Yes, aargh. The general idea of a good night amongst a whole lot of people I know - "Aaaaaaaaah, lads, best fun ever! I was so langered I don't remember a thing!"
    I mean, what the hell? When I drink, it's to loosen me up a little so I can do things I like to look back on...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm all for people having a good time, and that includes drinking if that's what you're into and you feel it's necessary to enjoy yourself. But you should respect the rules that places like CTYI have. They're there for a reason, CTYI don't want to be getting sued by a parent whose little darling is rushed to hospital with alcohol poisoning as a result of consuming alcohol there. That could lead to discos being cancelled and tighter rules on RAs bringing us out to Euro Spar or whatever.

Oh, and don't let Aoibheann see this thread :p

halenger wrote:
    If you really want me to call the Gardaí I will, I don't mind. Then again it's a bit of a waste of credit.

if you could just wait about 8/9 days that'd be good. For Colm's sake. :D

And on the whole drinking thing, i drink (shoot me), and I go to CTYI, but i've never had the thought of putting the two of them together. I don't see how it would affect it in a good way. I usually have great nights on the nights that others would choose to drink on (discos). And would actually prefer to be sstone cold sober, and be able to remember everything vividly.

For me, there isn't room in my CTYI calendar for alcohol.

Kudos to you, and that's the way it should be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Fabulo

Piste wrote:
    Oh, and don't let Aoibheann see this thread :p

Dear lord, everyone hide!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭GlitterB

Is that becuase you're a commuter this year??hehe :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement