Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you admin's / Moderators know???

Options
  • 14-06-2001 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Em just wondering what you guyz can change and/or see about the "average user".

I was just reading the karma post and saw that a guy there thinking you can edit our profiles,, when i edit my profile my password is on full view. Does this mean all moderators/administrators can see my password???

When the post says our ip has been logged, what does that mean????

do you guyz have a forum where you discuss us behind our backs???

Apart from the last question which is really just an aside;

I'm really concerned, cos if admin's and mod's can see our passwords, whats to say hackers could break an admin/mod password and find out really confidential stuff, not to mention the fact that i dont think you should have access to our passwords in the first place.

oh, and just so i dont havto make another post,, have you deleted joe22's username???

=====================
    \\
    Slydice
    //
    =====================

[This message has been edited by Slydice (edited 14-06-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

mod's can't do a great deal
    the can't see passwords or change profile details.
    they can edit post's on their boards and check the ip on each post.
    they can add news (see top left on webgames for an example)

the admin's on the other hand can prob get all details as they see fit or change them, but that why u have admins.
    hope that this helps

MiCr0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Actually knowing that admins can know your password isnt a great thing to know as the one i have is a password i use to protect a great deal of information frown.gif

thats all i could get from ur profile

Date Registered: 26-10-2000
    Total Posts: 388
    Current Email: sly_dice@hotmail.com
    Homepage:
    Interests:
    ICQ Number:
    Karma Rating: 0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ok, scratch Moderators from my em "worry" list, what about admins??? confused.gif

but thats the whole point of being an admin isn't it?
    its not a good idea also to tell ppl that you use one passwd for many things either.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Admins cannot directly see passwords.

We *could* hack the files and look at your password.

I've never done that in 2.5 years of looking after boards.

Other then that we can edit your posts but we CANT delete the fact that we edited it (its automatically appended to the post when we submit).

I was a founding member of the EFF in Ireland (EFI) and the head of Amnesty International in Trinity so right to freedom of speech and privacy are high on my list.

You might find that hard to fit my occasionally unrelenting vengence on muppets who abuse these boards but its a wider issue.

If we DONT take a stand against muppets we'll drown in them and all the signal that boards is great at will be lost in a sea of noise.

All noise means NOONE gets the right to freedom of speech because I can tell you there are few websites that will allow the freedom of expression boards has. We dont just allow it, we welcome it.

The funny/angry/true **** that the boards users constantly surprise us with is what makes us dedicate our evenings and weekends and cash to running this.

If you come here to abuse these boards, to ruin what we have going on here, then you accept my (and evidently many other people's) emnity. I once (over-dramatically smile.gif )used the phrase "you want a fight I'll give you a fncking WAR" because thats how I feel. And I fight dirty. smile.gif

As for your password? They will prise it from my dead clammy hands. However I recommend you do as I do and create several passwords. I have at least three types of passwords:
    1. Public, used for sites I dont know or are non-commercial.
    2. Public, used for sites I know/trust and commercial sites.
    3. Private, used for Spinsol stuff and network login etc.

by the way, obviously we are talking about your Boards.ie password here, not your mail account password!

Anyway, trust us *grin*.

DeVore

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hmm, what do we know?

1. We know your IP address (if you post on a forum we moderate)
    2. We know your profile.
    3. We know you were intrested in Dreamweaver
    4. We know you play too much Counter Strike
    5. We know you like your meat
    6. We know you make fun of Hobbes posts in the humour board.
    7. We know you have a tendancy to troll a litte.
    8. We know you can speak Irish.
    9. We know you are an United fan.
    10. We know that United suck.

So we really don't know all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lets be honest, what "hacker" is gona spend their time to get into your password database so they can post up fake posts which will be deleted very quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Some people use the same password for a few things.

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

We know that during the college year what lab you use, so behave! wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We do have an area the admins talk about users, new upgrades, abuses etc.

It this board smile.gif

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Admins can actually get peoples passwords very easily.

Each member created on the boards has a .cgi file with all your info etc in it. The file is called something like 00000002.cgi in the members directory.

If you have to do is open up the cgi file in word and on the 2nd line is the users password.

This only works if you open the file on the server etc... won't work in every case if you open the cgi file over the net.

I would go into it in more detail... but I don't think the admins would like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    And I fight dirty. smile.gif
    </font>

He does you know, He once pulled my hair, and then to add insult to injury, stole my combe. *sob*

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Good example of an Administrator Edit here.

[This message has been edited by Lucutus (edited 15-06-2001).]

[Bard]: Urgh... that's never happened to me before... I feel so... soiled...

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 15-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Some of us are Evil though

mu-hu-hu-ha-ha-haaa!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I like cake

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

my cats breath smells of cat food.

Bubbles, yes we can open them on the server but there are 4000 people registered or something. I have better things to do with my time *boggle*

DeV.

Yeah - Finding somesones account is a pain in the ass, u'd have to go try a fair amount of them to get what your looking for.

But isn't thier some irish law regarding something that each person has a legal right to know and to obtain any information you have on me.

One of these days I'll get my solicitor on to you requesting all information on me. I know it would be pointless, but it will take one of you a few hours to go tru all the accounts to find all mine etc... would be really annyong smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

You think I wouldn't, i've done worse things smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

No matter what system your on theres always someone who has access to your details, anything from passwords to logs of every command you type etc..

Bottom line is, use systems where you trust the admins if your worried about your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bubbles:
    But isn't thier some irish law regarding something that each person has a legal right to know and to obtain any information you have on me.</font>

Well Mr Muppet, it's called the Data Protection Act. I suggest you go read up on it. For starters you have to pay boards.ie a fee (which may be refundable) and they have up to 30 days in which to give you all the information, which will probably be the information which you already have access to. Btw, it's a pretty sketchy law. They are only required to give you what is on computer file. AFAIR Emails and some other stuff aren't covered.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

he could maybe accept your fee, 12 click your candy ass, and then say.. sorry.. we don't seem to have anyone here by that name tongue.gif

Licksy... you read my mind lol.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Licksy, be quite, do some work and go away to america, you ruin everyone's master plans :P

Plus you robbed me of £50 wink.gif Actually I take that one back

John

Dammit Licksy !! Taking all my fun away smile.gif

And I couldn't stop laughing when hobbes called me mr. muppet smile.gif

Mr. 5300+ posts and most of them american dribble :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    For starters you have to pay boards.ie a fee (which may be refundable) and they have up to 30 days in which to give you all the information, which will probably be the information which you already have access to. </font>

Ah, but only about five pounds.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    They are only required to give you what is on computer file. AFAIR Emails and some other stuff aren't covered.</font>

No, you have to provide everything than contains the information on computer, provided it is identifiable. In theory this might include all the posts (or links to those posts), that a person has made and are currently accessible by an Admin. This might even include the tape back-up of something that ended up in Trolls (not that you would do a tape back-up of something that ended up in Trolls).

Hard copies that are not readily searchible are not covered (e.g. a full school record wouldn't be covered, your personal school file could). This applies much more with public (and publicly funded) organisations than with private or commercial organisations (i.e. inlcuding boards.ie)

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slydice:
    Actually knowing that admins can know your password isnt a great thing to know as the one i have is a password i use to protect a great deal of information frown.gif</font>
    Paul, Paul; basic computer security... have different passwords for different security levels.

I have one for boards.ie: insecure word for insecure connection
    I have one for telnet connections: about as secure as boards.ie, plain text passwords all the way! smile.gif
    For SSH connections: random streams of gobbledygoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I have one for webgames i play, one for boards, and one for email. Mainly my email one is different because they required 'letters and numbers'... grr...

Not that any of them would be any use to anyone - i dont keep any secrets online smile.gif

A

Advertisement