Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN Weekend!

• 29-06-2005 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

For anyone who is interested Clan on Dominic street are organising a lan weekend in the Clan na Mara Hotel in Spiddle. A few of us regulars have already signed up. There is approx 20 spots and afaik the deal includes 2 nights bed and breakfast .. a residents bar open 24/7. All you have to do is bring your own PC and 100 euro. Give the shop a ring for more details.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

www.galwaylan.net

Like Corn Flakes, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What games are doing the rounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Robbo wrote:
    www.galwaylan.net

Like Corn Flakes, I'd imagine.

Someone should update the gl_waiver.pdf, tbh.
    RELEASE:
    The individual signing below (“Registrant”) does hereby RELEASE AND WAIVE any and all causes of action, claims, losses
    and damages, whether such causes of action, claims, losses and damages are known or unknown, whether such causes of
    action, claims, losses, and damages existing in law or in equity, and whether such causes of action, claims, losses, and
    damages exist under contract, tort, strict liability or other theory, owned by Registrant, arising out of, relating to or in
    connection with the Event and/or the Tournament (collectively, the “CLAIMS”). Registrant FOREVER DISCHARGES both
    GalwayLAN Administrators and Menlo Primary School, Galway and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents and
    representatives from all Claims.
    The highlighted bit may be out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

What games are doing the rounds?

Battlefield 2, counterstike source (obviously) half life 2 etc etc etc. all major games at the minute and no doubt a few classics. and the date and time is from 4pm friday the 8th right through to 8pm on Sunday the 10th and come on 24/7 bar hard to beat

ring clan on 091588710 or e-mail them at clanvideo2@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

pfft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cool.

Post the dates/times etc.

Also, Lan Parties Board and Room101.org might attract more people :)

the_syco: I know, haven't had time to change it

ummm sorry SyxPak it seems to have been postponed for the time being if it changes i'll let ya know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

100euro for a BYOC LAN? Fair enough with the bed and breakfast but 2 good breakfasts should add up to less than 15e and most junkies are happy to sleep on the floor...quite the ripoff imho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Fobia wrote:
    100euro for a BYOC LAN? Fair enough with the bed and breakfast but 2 good breakfasts should add up to less than 15e and most junkies are happy to sleep on the floor...quite the ripoff imho...

Maybe I wasnt quite clear ... For a 100 euro you get to stay in a hotel for the weekend .. get breakfast .. have 24 bar ... get to play lan games all weekend in the hotel. If you think that is a ripoff then get ur headchecked m8 .. hotels are not cheap esp in the middle of summer. Also u have to be over 18 to attend. But as Dannie said it is postponed for the moment.

Look at it from a good gamer's prospective. Take the next galwaylan for example. 30 euro for 3 days lan'ing, there is a bar and you can kip on the floor (most people prefer cheapness to luxury). Let's add in the price of breakfast each morning and you have about 50 euro. So you get 3 days for half of the price, the only difference being that you don't get sleep on the floor rather than a bed.

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

and i wasnt informed about this Playboy :( well i never, im one of your biggest people that hang around in clan :P i prob wont go tho, 100E for a weekedn for a BYOC no offensise but tis a tad expesive and also so close to GL....

will talk to yea later about it :) but like i said tis a bit over priced...

btw danny i solved the Du-doku :P

Fobia wrote:
    Look at it from a good gamer's prospective. Take the next galwaylan for example. 30 euro for 3 days lan'ing, there is a bar and you can kip on the floor (most people prefer cheapness to luxury). Let's add in the price of breakfast each morning and you have about 50 euro. So you get 3 days for half of the price, the only difference being that you don't get sleep on the floor rather than a bed.

Am I missing something?

omg are u retarded or something? Staying in a hotel costs money so therefore its going to cost extra. Its not a ripoff when u pay for the comfort of a bed. If you want to sleep on the floor of some hall then fine .. Im really happy for u ... but some of us can afford a 100 euro and would prefer to stay in a hotel for the weekend and drink 24/7 in a residents bar. Just because you prefer to do something on the cheap doesnt mean we all have to or want to, and it doesnt mean its a ripoff. And tbh if you are not interested in going why dont u keep ur finanacial expertise to urself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

no you're right phobia, got to look out for the kids :p , they dont got no cash :p
    fair point.
    seriously though, gamers should sleep rough, it's like the whole gaming junkie vibe XD

toxick wrote:
    and i wasnt informed about this Playboy :( well i never, im one of your biggest people that hang around in clan :P i prob wont go tho, 100E for a weekedn for a BYOC no offensise but tis a tad expesive and also so close to GL....

ok guys seriously it isn't that expensive. break it all down. yo are staying in a feckin top hotel for 2 nights with a 24/7 bar and a full restaurant. it works out at €25 a night. pesonally i'd pay it.

and off topic yeah i finished it 2 toxick. they are simple done one today in 4mins 30!

toxick wrote:

colm u cant go anyway .. you have to be over 18 ;)

Playboy wrote:
    colm u cant go anyway .. you have to be over 18 ;)

yeah nadir take note of that 2. this isn't aimed at "kids" hence the 18+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

shhhh :P well it might be a good laugh for you lot :P hope it goes grand, and dose that mean dave/donal aint going ether :P

Playboy wrote:
    omg are u retarded or something?

Is that an insult?
    nadir wrote:
    seriously though, gamers should sleep rough, it's like the whole gaming junkie vibe XD
    Exactly, that's what LANs are all about!
    Playboy wrote:
    Just because you prefer to do something on the cheap doesnt mean we all have to or want to, and it doesnt mean its a ripoff. And tbh if you are not interested in going why dont u keep ur finanacial expertise to urself.

Nono, I think it's a ripoff because I think it's overpriced, I couldn't care any less what you want to do. I'm voicing my opinions because you posted on a public bulletin board and as such I'm trying to stop people new to the LAN/gaming scene from going to this thinking that it's a fantastic deal.
    danniemcq wrote:

Actually, I think you'll find that the majority of people who'd be interested in this sort of thing (ie college students) would find it harder to get that cash than underrage kids as they have their parents to ask.

Good luck with it and I hope ye enjoy yerselves.

Fobia wrote:
    Is that an insult?

No its a very relevant question

Fobia wrote:
    Exactly, that's what LANs are all about!

For u maybe .. I think you are far from an authority on what a lan is. If you think lan gaming is all about students and teenage kids sleeping rough in a hall then you are either very stupid or very disillusioned
    Fobia wrote:
    Nono, I think it's a ripoff because I think it's overpriced, I couldn't care any less what you want to do. I'm voicing my opinions because you posted on a public bulletin board and as such I'm trying to stop people new to the LAN/gaming scene from going to this thinking that it's a fantastic deal.

Again I would refer you to my first question
    Playboy wrote:
    Are you a retard?

If you think 3 days of gaming and 2 nights stay in a hotel with breakfast and a 24hr residents bar is a ripoff at 100 euro then you must be a retard. Go and check how much a hotel room in Galway in July costs and then get back to me with some more of your amazing financial insight.
    Fobia wrote:
    Actually, I think you'll find that the majority of people who'd be interested in this sort of thing (ie college students) would find it harder to get that cash than underrage kids as they have their parents to ask.

If you think that the only people interested in lan gaming are students and teenage kids then I will ask that question again.
    Playboy wrote:
    Are you a retard?

I play in a lan every day and I can tell you that the above categories of people do not make up the majority of lan and internet gamers. I play several online mmo's and I can tell you that the majority of people that play do not fall into the above categories either.
    Fobia wrote:
    Good luck with it and I hope ye enjoy yerselves.

You obviously dont wish us good luck as you have twice stated that the whole thing is a ripoff. As I said b4 if you are not interested and obviously dont have a clue what you are talking about then why dont u keep ur idiotic opinions to urself. :)

Playboy wrote:
    If you think 3 days of gaming and 2 nights stay in a hotel with breakfast and a 24hr residents bar is a ripoff at 100 euro then you must be a retard. Go and check how much a hotel room in Galway in July costs and then get back to me with some more of your amazing financial insight.

Ok, let's start with this one. I'm not debating whether the cost of the hotel is overpriced. I'm debating that the LAN is overpriced. LAN != hotel. Also, this lan appears to be planned for Spiddal which isn't exaclty in the city so people pay for transport also.
    Playboy wrote:
    For u maybe .. I think you are far from an authority on what a lan is. If you think lan gaming is all about students and teenage kids sleeping rough in a hall then you are either very stupid or very disillusioned

A LAN is a local area network, generally consisting of several computer linked up to each other via Cat5 cable and a switch, I think can say that without much arguement. Am I far from an authority to say what a LAN party is? I've been to a good few in several different locations, so I'd have to disagree with you on that one.
    Playboy wrote:
    I play in a lan every day

Perhaps, but I doubt you play in LAN parties everyday. Netcafe != LAN party unless the LAN party is being held in a netcafe.

As to your comments on the people you know. Remember this, LAN parties shouldn't be concentrated on MMORPG's (in fact, at all big irish LANs wont see anyone playing an MMORPG), so your points are irrelevent. The people who attend LAN parties are people who want to play genres such as FPS and RTS. I think if you look into it you'll see that most of the attendee's of big LAN parties do indeed fall into the age group of 18-26 or so.
    Playboy wrote:
    You obviously dont wish us good luck as you have twice stated that the whole thing is a ripoff. As I said b4 if you are not interested and obviously dont have a clue what you are talking about then why dont u keep ur idiotic opinions to urself. :)

I think I get to decide whether I wish you good luck or not. Yes I think it's a ripoff. But I think GalwayLANs can be a bit of a ripoff yet I usually really enjoy them. I do have a clue, I think it is you that doesn't. Can you explain how my opinions are idiotic without complaining about the cost of a hotel?

P.S. Learn to quote. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

You guys are totally killing my buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

LOL !
    Heh, I heard youd been hangin round the youth disco's again nadir :p

At least your age aint showing :D

those girls are all legal .... In Japan :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

And FFS as well I'm not 18 for another month...ah well, no fear.

I for one, though, would rather sleep in a bed rather then in a group on the floor after a hard days gaming. The smell might be a bit overpowering when you wake up :)

I thought it was boys and the like these days.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

:eek:

homo jaremasen

those are just your rampant gay fantasies acting up again, when will you ever come out?

gay fantasies
    eh?
    at the age's your talking there's a whole other word for it....

I for one, though, would rather sleep in a bed rather then in a group on the floor after a hard days gaming. The smell might be a bit overpowering when you wake up :)

The idea is that you don't sleep if possible (to get as much gaming as possible), and if you do you don't do it in a group like :) .

"Let's go to sleep gang!"

Nadir has a twisted mind and it's too late for him to be "fixed" :( .

• Advertisement

Nadir has a twisted mind and it's too late for him to be "fixed"
    we could get him neutered :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement