Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pps numbers

Options
  • 29-06-2005 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

hiya

wanting to go on a family holiday to spain. my 7yr old does not currently have a passport so am applying via swiftpost. It asks for a pps number but i do not have one for him. I dont think i was ever sent this ( i may be wrong) Does anyone know where I would get this information. Would it be from the inland revenue or social welfare? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

It's the Department Of Social Welfare that allocate the numbers - give your local office a ring. Note that you should have already gotten one as everybody born in the state after 1971 should have been issued one - more info here.

I'd say the Social Welfare office will be able to tell your childs number is - they should have a record of it

HTH

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

Thanks so much for that info. I will ring immediatly. You are the best. I must say this is my first time visiting this section and am so glad i got such a quick response. I will defo return to this section again. Thanks ever so much :D

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

You're welcome - let us know how you get on ;)

systems are down at the mo but they said ring back tomorrow and they can do it. thanks a mill for your help ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Got a passport for my little guy last month, and I dont recall even seeing that question, Ive no idea if he has a number or not, but it wasnt an issue. Usually the person in the post office will be able to find out if it is required at all.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's on the form alright...in the last 4 or 5 years the PSS was sent out as soon as you applied for child benefit..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I know this from 3 seperate forms I have had to fill out in the last three years. The mother's pps number is the same as the childs until they reach 16.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Shabadu wrote:
    I know this from 3 seperate forms I have had to fill out in the last three years. The mother's pps number is the same as the childs until they reach 16.

I think you may be wrong there - my 3 kids have three different PPS and the same mother. PSS is a unique identifier - even when women had their husbands PRSI number they still had a "W" flag which made the number unique.

Edit: see http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/starting_work/personal_public_service_number.html?search=pps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Maybe it's if you have one child or something, but I have been told this personally by the passport office, the gardaí, and the children's allowance people, and have always used my pps number for my son. *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

don't know if things have changed but a few years back, i think when the children were about 11/12 the dept issued a white card (credit card type) with their details on it, some places used the number for exams etc.
    But as already stated the dept will supply the PPS number and yes it's a unique number for everyone in the state as far as i'm aware.

• Advertisement

Hiya Lads, sorry for late reply. Rang social welfare and they gave me his pps number. Its different to my own. Just so ye know :D

Advertisement