Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fizzle sticks wanted

Options
  • 29-06-2005 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

any one know if its possible to get fizzle sticks anywhere ??????
    or do you have a friend in the sweet industry that would bring them back , i would make it worth their while lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Local pound shop here in Galway has them, afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jayjaybell

I have been looking for these for the past 15 years now, they are nowhere to be found, i have had people searching every cash and carry in Britain.
    I can't even find the company that made them anywhere on the internet.
    I would kill for them.
    Do they really still have them in Galway?
    If so, i will book a flight immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Anyone come across Fizzle Sticks anywhere yet?
    Online....Other side of the world?
    Even a recipe?

Redman

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Are they the same as fiddle sticks. They came in loads of colours and looked like sticks of chalk. Maybe i am totally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

what exactly are they? im imagining something along the lines of fizzy cola bottles, only a more fruity taste, and in stick shape...

• Advertisement

Efioanaes wrote:
    Are they the same as fiddle sticks. They came in loads of colours and looked like sticks of chalk. Maybe i am totally wrong

You have described the same things, but I always knew them as fizzle sticks. They had a tangy, fizzy taste and were soft when fresh and went hard when old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Me too!!! I've been looking for them for ages too.

Not even www.aquarterof.com has 'em :(

I loved them fresh and soft AND old and hard! Yellow and pink and green and orange... yummmmmmmm!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DINMAKER50

Fizzle sticks-ah best sweet sticks ever made. I used to buy them in boxes of 100 at a time. Made by Festoon confectionary as I remember. There must be a recipe somewhwere. Can anybody help us!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

What I would give for a box of fizzle sticks right now!!! Absolutely loved them!! They were the Holy Grail of sweets imo!! Please, somebody bring them back!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Oh my God, I was beginning to think these were a figment of my imagination - no one I know remembers them, I can still taste them, and it must be a good 25 years since I had one...............yummy yummy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 erinlegends

I would travel the earth to find fizzle sticks again. i can only remember my mum buying them for me a a kid from the shop in birmingham hospital where see worked. we have talked about them loads over the years and id love to find them again, with the hugh sweet industry in Ireland and england some company must produce them.

they were 3" chalk like sticks of different light colours (pink, yellow, green, etc) and were soft when fress but hardened and tasted fizzly and sweeT together.

THEY MUST BE BROUGHT BACK!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.jamesvillas.co.uk/regions/Ireland/news/Take-a-sweet-trip-to-Ireland-18900426.cfm
    In Cork tourists can find Linehan's Handmade Sweets, one of the county's oldest businesses which has been open since 1929 to make and sell old-school confectionary.

The shop is run by Danny Linehan and his son Tony who use traditional methods to make their products surrounded by vintage memorabilia and pictures which give the experience an authentic feel.

Children will no doubt love the selection of Fizzle Sticks, Bullseyes and Cloverocks on offer, while adults may find they remember a sweet or two from their own childhood.
    hmmmm, maybe try and contact them. Wonder how similar they are to the old ones. I reckon they might be going under a different name in the US or somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dingleye

Oh my my, we were looking for these everywhere about 7 years ago but sadly they were nowhere to be found... but they are still out there?!?!? :eek: No way... I'm there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LadyZ

So has anyone found the fizzlesticks? Oh please please please let us know where.

http://www.jamesvillas.co.uk/regions/Ireland/news/Take-a-sweet-trip-to-Ireland-18900426.cfm

In Cork tourists can find Linehan's Handmade Sweets, one of the county's oldest businesses which has been open since 1929 to make and sell old-school confectionary.

The shop is run by Danny Linehan and his son Tony who use traditional methods to make their products surrounded by vintage memorabilia and pictures which give the experience an authentic feel.

Children will no doubt love the selection of Fizzle Sticks, Bullseyes and Cloverocks on offer, while adults may find they remember a sweet or two from their own childhood.

I tried looking for a website for Linehan's but it doesn't seem to exist????

• Registered Users Posts: 23 chelleflife

Ok I HAVE to join this thread in case somebody somewhere posts a website where I can buy them!!

Seriously - everyone I mention them to thinks Ive lost it!! So happy Im not alone. Think a Facebook group would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

there's a facebook group called 'bring back fizzle sticks'........it needs celeb backing though like the Wispa campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Ray D'arcy is looking for them as well.

good!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thanks for the link! I'd love to try 'em, but the damn postage to Ireland is £16stg! I've written to ask them if they can reduce that (since they've included Ireland with the rest of the world).

In the meantime - would anyone like to share a shipment?! A minimum chip in of €20 each, plus a share of postage. Pay me in advance with Paypal, I'll make the order, and then come collect from me in Dublin 2. I'll be making an order in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fitzfans37

edanto wrote: »
    Thanks for the link! I'd love to try 'em, but the damn postage to Ireland is £16stg! I've written to ask them if they can reduce that (since they've included Ireland with the rest of the world).

In the meantime - would anyone like to share a shipment?! A minimum chip in of €20 each, plus a share of postage. Pay me in advance with Paypal, I'll make the order, and then come collect from me in Dublin 2. I'll be making an order in the next few days.
    Ok I've ordered 10 of them, I couldn't help it. They came to €12.31 EUR including delivery, I'll let you know if they are the same as the ones from the late 70's early 80's. They don't look the same in the picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

crookesa wrote: »

They're not Fizzle Sticks, doubt they taste like them either. :(

I just bought them too! Couldn't resist! :o

.......will let ye know if they are anything like Fizzle Sticks! :D

You're right. I got mine just now. They are nothing like Fizzle sticks apart from the colour. These are more like sticks of chalk, hard and dangerous to teeth! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

They are unfortunately not made anymore, the company was sold they took the machine apart to move it to a new factory and it never worked properly again.

The closest thing still made is called edinburugh rock, still not close.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

apparently the Ray D'Arcy show found Pat Murphy from Scrumdiddlyumptious in Clonmel who has them, or something that tastes exactly like them... check out their Media Player. http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/Blog.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

So this Scrumdiddlyumptious guy from Clonmel was on Ray D'arcy today. He doesn't have an online shop, but he said you could go to their facebook page and perhaps order some stuff from there.

But I can't find the facebook page? Anyone have a working link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

this is a link to the Irish facebook group anyway. Still looking for Scrumdiddlyumptious themselves..
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scrumdiddlyumptious/63746767033#!/pages/bring-back-FIZZLE-STICKS/372924736559

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

ginoc wrote: »
    I don't think what the guy has are fizzle sticks but coltsfoot rock as posted above. I have ran a traditional sweet shop for many years now have not come across The famous Fizzle stick! I do however buy from a company based in dublin called Alderwood confectionery.

Or Edingurgh rock. :)

Still no luck with this Clonmel guy. I'll check out Alderwood too, thanks!

• Advertisement

Loveless wrote: »
    apparently the Ray D'Arcy show found Pat Murphy from Scrumdiddlyumptious in Clonmel who has them, or something that tastes exactly like them... check out their Media Player. http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/Blog.aspx

I clicked on your link and scrolled down to the chopped up fizzlesticks.... :)

Then I scrolled a bit further down to the most disgusting big toe I have ever seen. PUKE! :eek:

Advertisement