Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live at the Marquee

Options
  • 29-06-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

Anyone headed to any of the gigs? Managed to scalp tix for Nick Cave next week and Brian Wilson tomorrow, the only 2 i had any real interest in seeing to be honest, besides Al Green..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm off the see Nick Cave also. It will be my 3rd time seeing him live, the other times being in the Olympia and Vicar Street. The man is a living god.

None of the other acts really interested me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i'd love to see brian wilson tomorrow, but alas 60 euro is too big a dent in my studenty holiday savings/throw away in poker game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

ditto Nick Cave

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'll just open me back door and be able to hear it all...more or less, probably more less than more...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Yeah me too. Heard them all yesterday evening testing the sound system. Would like to go see Rufus Wainwright more than Brian Wilson but it is Rufus on his own and not with his band. I don't think that's worth €60 when I saw him in Vicar Street with the band for €30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Nick Cave and Christy Moore. Anyone know who the support is for Nick Cave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

my housemate managed to win a pair of tickets for Brian Wilson so im heading to that tonight...oh yeah free stuff!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Brian Wilson will be good, he just played Glastonbury and it was mostly Beach Boys stuff.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I have to bring a bunch of pre-teens to McFadden on Saturday night. How did I get to this point in my life? I wanna see Nick Cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Sounds like Rufus had his band with him. Bollox anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Yeah he did indeed have his band with him. Never listened to him before and was expecting a folksy, sixty year old type with that kind of name. Anyway I was pleasently surprised by him, he was very easy listening.

Brian Wilson was the man. The sound was a bit off for the first and second song and thought the whole thing was going to be a bit of a shambles. But then on came "And Then I Kissed Her" and he truly began to rock my socks off.

wilson put in a fantastic performance last night. he had everybody was out of their seats dancing in the aisles. he played mainly beach boys stuff and the crowd loved it...what a legend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CuriousGirl

Ya, Nick Cave alright. Opening the bedroom window will suffice for the rest!

We had a brief moment of madnes and looked at the web for prices for Nick Cave. Tickets were showing at around 55 each but with a whopping 11.70 service charge. This was for tickets from the promoters own site and had to be picked up at the Marquee.. sheesh what a ripoff.

I bought my 4 Nick Cave tickets from ticketmaster online by credit card. E55.50 each and then a E5.95 handling charge per ticket.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

sucks to me and my procrastinating attitude toward buying Brian Wilson tickets. Ah well, always next time(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I have my Nick Cave ticket... and like yourself Rhymus I regret not forking out the €75 for Brian Wilson when I had the chance, just thought at the time that it was too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Christy Moore Tickets Looking for two anyone gots any?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

pure nick cave tonight, anyone headed?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

ME! Can't wait!!!

• Advertisement

I'm off now to get ready for this. I'm truly excited! See you all there tonight

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Should be an interesting evening, see ye there.

so ... how was it???

He fúcking rocked! From the minute he came on stage and started with "West Country Girl", I knew it was going to be good. He played a decent amount of stuff off the new double album, but surprisingly didn't play either of the twp big songs from it "Nature Boy" and "There She Goes, My Beautiful World"

He played a good few Murder Ballads as well which definitely got the crowd going. His live version of Henry Lee where he mixes the lyrics with music from another song was excellent, and so was "The Mercy Seat" but by far and away the best was the version of "Stagger Lee" that he sang. He really slowed it down and sang it beautifully.

He had me in tears when he sang "Rock of Gibraltar". Apparently it's one of his favourite songs despite the fact that he acknowledges it's shít.

He was good for the first part but it got soooo much better when he played the two encores. People left their seats and stood up in front of the stage and he really responded. He even danced a little.

In short, in case my long reply doesn't get the message across, it was an excellent gig.

Excellent, excellent!!!!!

One petty annoyance though - all the folks with camera-fones and such-like spending half the night with their arms blocking the people behind them's view. ggrrrr! Got to the point where I was sorely tempted to ask the guy ahead of me for a copy of his pics, 'cause that camera saw more of the stage than I did. Still n all though, I went for the music and that was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Excellent gig alright.
    Everyone is armed to the teeth these days with camera phones and digital cameras trying to capture the moment. Its fair enough, i'm guilty of it too but it does get a bit ridiculous when you look around and everyone seems to be more interested in recording it than enjoying it.
    What about the guy who climbed on stage, there was no security up front, lucky for Nick Cave there were no demented knife wielding fans around.

I was in the second row and I got a really good view of that guy's arse cleavage. My eyes still burn.

Excellent, excellent!!!!!

One petty annoyance though - all the folks with camera-fones and such-like spending half the night with their arms blocking the people behind them's view. ggrrrr! Got to the point where I was sorely tempted to ask the guy ahead of me for a copy of his pics, 'cause that camera saw more of the stage than I did. Still n all though, I went for the music and that was brilliant.

Dear Weblog,

Tonoight I went down to the Shewgrounds to watch the Caver. Man was he good. As I said to James over a gin and tonton in the bar it was an excellent concert and I got loads of pics for my Blog. Camera phones sure are the best invention since the Ipod. Only problem is my phone seems to be faulty - everytime I took a picture I heard a loud "Tssk" from it. At one stage I thought it spoke to me - words like "if ya don't drop that bloody phone I'll brain ya" but Caroline assures me that I must have been hearing things as my doesn't have the voice module""

parsi wrote:
    Dear Weblog,

Tonoight I went down to the Shewgrounds to watch the Caver. Man was he good. As I said to James over a gin and tonton in the bar it was an excellent concert and I got loads of pics for my Blog. Camera phones sure are the best invention since the Ipod. Only problem is my phone seems to be faulty - everytime I took a picture I heard a loud "Tssk" from it. At one stage I thought it spoke to me - words like "if ya don't drop that bloody phone I'll brain ya" but Caroline assures me that I must have been hearing things as my doesn't have the voice module""

Well t'wasn't me anyway! Each to their own, etc.

I'd actually like to see whatever you or anyone else puts up, 'cause I had to contend with one of those pillar things that keep the roof up too, and I was never blessed with 20/20 in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

damn roof supports.. wouldnt the concert be so much better if they werent there?!?

Advertisement