Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine in UCD

Options
  • 29-06-2005 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Anyone doing medicine in ucd, would love some feedback on the course.

:)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

you'd best ask panda100 but i haven't seen her round here for a while. First year is very easy, only 12 hours a week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Think she's off in Limerick for the Summer or something, but she'll prob come online at some stage and reply to this. As RedAlert said 1st year is easy enough - basically just getting your level of science up and that sort of thing - it has some visiting of patients as well I think. The later years are difficult though (well from what I've heard), and require a lot, lot, lot of work. I'd say go for it if you really want it, but make sure its what you want ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

my sister did medicine in UCD few years ago. I didn't see her without a book for 6 years. Paid off though, She's a consultant in infectious disease now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Thanks guys, i appreciate the feedback!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hey-yep am in fourth year in ucd medcine!if i was doing it all again id definatly go to cork-no questions asked!Theres no pre med there-pre med is the most stupid year ever-you have to do the sciences again and computers-it;s pointless as you will never use it again and everyone just spends the year getting pissed-which i spose was pretty fun!the good thing about ucd med is that the training hospitals are vincents and the mater which are the two biggest hospitals in ireland nearly so u get to see everything!i defo wouldnt go to trinity cos they only have james as there training hospital which isnt the best place to train.The overall course is well laid out but generally the staff are unhelpful except a few nice lecturers.The only other bad bit bout ucd med is the majority of ur classmates will all come from the institute-a big feeder school where d4's repeat to get the points for medicine-therefore medicine in ucd is v.segregated-there is the institute bunch who all know each other-the culchie bunch-v.v.v small minority but best craic and friendliest!then most of the class are the malaysians and the pharmacy postgrads1A lot of my friends went to cork to do medicine and they all give it thumbs up!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 spikslow

i recognise that voice!

!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I hereby diagnose myself with excessive exclamation mark usage syndrome mr paul!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

panda100 wrote:
    Hey-yep am in fourth year in ucd medcine!if i was doing it all again id definatly go to cork-no questions asked!Theres no pre med there-pre med is the most stupid year ever-you have to do the sciences again and computers-it;s pointless as you will never use it again and everyone just spends the year getting pissed-which i spose was pretty fun!the good thing about ucd med is that the training hospitals are vincents and the mater which are the two biggest hospitals in ireland nearly so u get to see everything!i defo wouldnt go to trinity cos they only have james as there training hospital which isnt the best place to train.The overall course is well laid out but generally the staff are unhelpful except a few nice lecturers.The only other bad bit bout ucd med is the majority of ur classmates will all come from the institute-a big feeder school where d4's repeat to get the points for medicine-therefore medicine in ucd is v.segregated-there is the institute bunch who all know each other-the culchie bunch-v.v.v small minority but best craic and friendliest!then most of the class are the malaysians and the pharmacy postgrads1A lot of my friends went to cork to do medicine and they all give it thumbs up!!

training in james isnt that bad (im in the school of OT there, and we'v a brand new multi million facility/ student and med centre out there beside the hospital opened just 2/3 years ago, we're also the home of molecular medicine), TCD med students have all their placements in dublin and don;t have to travel out side the city ulike those in UCD(i think Drindy, is a med grad in tcd if you want to know more).
    TCD also has a big contingent from the institute, which is similarily the case in my year and with the physios (about 10-20% i think), Med also gets alot of international students although i think the number is higher in RCSI.

Advertisement