Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q on battery voltage

• 29-06-2005 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Thanks to your help in here I've finally got a reply from studentcomputers.co.uk. They tell me that although my particular battery number (289053-001) for my Presario 900 isn't listed, that http://www.studentcomputers.co.uk/laptop-battery/compaq-laptop-batteries/compaq-evo-n160-presario1700-17xl-series.htm is the right model.

Can anyone advise me independently if there will be a problem as:
    My old battery says 14.4V and 4.4AHr
    The new battery says 14.8 Volts, 4000 mAh?

I'm outa my depth when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

It states on the website that it is compatible with Compaq Presario 900, so bob's your uncle.
    As for the little difference in voltage and mAh. That shouldnt matter at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

D'oh. Sorry my mistake. I know what I did - I just searched immediatley for the matching part number.

Why does it not matter? Is it the fact the numbers are very close or something different? (interested to know).

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Well the "4000 mAh" has to do with the max amount of current that can be drawn from the battery for one hour. So the lower number just means that it can draw 4400mA from the old battery for one hour and 400mA less with the new one.
    That means that the older battery would last a little longer than the new one.

As for the 14.4V for the old battery and 14.8V for the new battery.
    This shouldn't matter as it's a little higher than the old battery voltage and their should be voltage supply circuit in the laptop, that would convert this voltage down to the required voltage of +5V,+12V,-12V,+3.3V.

Why the voltage being a little higher.
    Because if it was a little lower than the battery would not be able to supply enough voltage and therefore with Ohm's law *(R=V/I) the lower voltage(V) would be made up for with a decrease in current(I).

*Resistance = Voltage / Current. (Ohm's Law)

Hope that answers your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

That does indeed; even reminded me of a little L.C. physics while you were at it!

Much obliged, thanks to you I can quit hogging all the seats near plugs when I work :D Seriously though - thanks, this should make a big difference to my work.

+rep

Advertisement