Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenroyal gym

Options
  • 29-06-2005 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Very expensive isn't it? 750 a year plus a 200 euro joining fee.....so basically a grand before you even touch the place. Is it that amazing??? I heard there's a decent and affordable one in Blanch, the one Ben Dunne advertises....anyone know the name of it?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

it's either west side or crunch fitness, these could possibly be the same thing but not too sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Maynooth wrote:
    I heard there's a decent and affordable one in Blanch, the one Ben Dunne advertises....anyone know the name of it?
    Westpoint gym, It's the one I'm goin to now. It's 425 up front for 15months membership :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

That Westpoint place sounds good but it's no good to someone like me, I need a gym that's walking distance. Grand if you have a car.

Anyway, my first day in the Glenroyal gym today and who did I bump in to? My ex!! The first person I see is him. One of my main reasons for joining was to have something new to occupy my mind with and to stop thinking about him.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh damnit!!!!! DAMNIT!!!! :mad:

So apart from that it's a cool gym and the staff are lovely.....Maynooth, it's only 420 for a student and no joining fee, they didn't even ask to see my student card.

Oooh and lots of boys :D (even if one of them is my ex! DAMNIT!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Is the gym in the college rubbish then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

it's a grand gym, not super, but has all the facilities you'd want if you're training for explosive power(rugby).

Altough there could be a lot more equipment.
    Glenroyal just offers more in terms of jacuzzi, pool etc in the one place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Well I've joined the Glen now....looks like the ratio of men to women is about 30:1....goes to show you how lazy women are ;)

Been going every single day, very good so I am. I'm going to keep it up too, if I miss one day I know I'll get in to a bad habit.

As for the ratio....yes, it's very good....very good indeed....makes a nice change from NUIM! :D

The dressing rooms are in bad need of air conditioning! You're sweating the second you step inside them, they really need to sort it out. It's unreal, especially in this heat!

Maynooth wrote:
    The dressing rooms are in bad need of air conditioning! You're sweating the second you step inside them, they really need to sort it out. It's unreal, especially in this heat!

True. I think it's because of the showers. Sometimes it's not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

i just stand outside and laugh at all the body builder types going in and out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Maynooth wrote:
    Well I've joined the Glen now....looks like the ratio of men to women is about 30:1....goes to show you how lazy women are ;)

Lots o' chicks in college gym. Glenroyal is a lot cheaper if you're a student.

Gael wrote:
    Glenroyal is a lot cheaper if you're a student.

Yep, it's only 420.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 -Sparkle

So are you guys (girls I should say) going cos of the men in there? I was a member before they've done it up but didn't extend my membership. No money and no motivation. Good way of meeting new people though, and keeping fit of course... I don't like the staff, some of them are nice but they're all a bit posh and stuck up their a**** I hate the way you can't go in for one day only, unless you pay €12 and go with a member... Anyone tried the Ealu spa in there?

what's the ealu spa? whatever it is i think i need something like that right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

Sorry is this is a stupid question or the wrong place to ask it but what kind of facilites are in the Maynooth gym? Is there a pool or not? What are the changing rooms etc like (I'm male)? Is it always busy, are there quieter times to go etc. Any info/help appreciated..
    edit: just found the linkage on the college site (check out that official NUI msg board, very helpful) http://www.nuim.ie/sports/facilities/index.html
    Wouldn't mind any first hand comments though, these websites obviously can't say "The showers are a bit whiffy" ;)

is it the college gym you're asking about or the proper glenroyal gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

I'll be joining Glenroyal rather than using the college gym. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the college gym, its more the fact that I've never used a gym before and so wanna get some decent advice and training in.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 GiuseppeConlon

Maynooth wrote:
    Very expensive isn't it? 750 a year plus a 200 euro joining fee.....so basically a grand before you even touch the place. Is it that amazing??? I heard there's a decent and affordable one in Blanch, the one Ben Dunne advertises....anyone know the name of it?

There are 2 in blanch, Crunch is the better of the two, the Benn Dunne one at the shopping centre is over subscribed, and they are fighting for space. Westmanstown (crunch) is the better of the 2; 200 metre indoor running track, pool all that jazz, plus it's got a funky fitlinks system that helps track your progress, also they assign a personal fitness instructor who will work out a training plan for you monitor your progress and call you if you haven't been in a few weeks to make you feel guilty.

and call you if you haven't been in a few weeks to make you feel guilty.

are you serious? ha ha ha brilliant. they sound like psychos! :D

-Sparkle wrote:
    So are you guys (girls I should say) going cos of the men in there?

No!!!!! (yes)

-Sparkle wrote:
    I don't like the staff, some of them are nice but they're all a bit posh and stuck up their a****

They seem nice enough to me....well the guys working there are lovely, really chatty and funny.....some of the girls are tits alright I admit.

• Advertisement

Heard there's a new one going up in the Manor Mill complex? I wonder if it'll be cheaper, Glenroyal is very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭merritt

The NUIM gym is fine if you want a no-frills experience. There are about 10 treadmills, 4 cross-trainers, 4 rowing machines, several cycling machines and then about 15 weights machines and free weights. There's now a small weights room downstairs.

There is no steam room, spa, televisons (thank goodness) etc etc.

There's a pool on campus, but I've never been in it. It's on the south campus miles away from the gym.

There are four changing rooms for guys (and two more outdoor ones I think). Probablly the same for lasses.

During term time it seems to be at peak business between 5 and 7, but it's unusual to have to wait more than a few minutes to get a machine.

Overall it's bright, clean and functional. The staff are always helpful and friendly. And it's cheap as chips! Indeed, it's free if you're a student.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Was thinking of joining Glen gym but 750 is waaaay too expensive. Think I'll wait and see if the new one in Manor Mill is a bit more affordable.

Was thinking of joining Glen gym but 750 is waaaay too expensive. Think I'll wait and see if the new one in Manor Mill is a bit more affordable.

Adult membership to the NUIM Fitness Centre is 320 (or 350, can't remember) for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

ClareBear wrote:
    Adult membership to the NUIM Fitness Centre is 320 (or 350, can't remember) for a year.

Definitely makes much more fiscal sense!

yeah nuim advertised on the front page of the kildare times this month.

Advertisement