Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Station

Options
  • 29-06-2005 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Has anyone else heard there will be a TV Station at UCD next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

yeah, it's called RTE!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

C&ETV *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Cecilia

Its a student TV Station as far as I know, that will be broadcast around UCD. Anyone know how I could find information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Red Alert wrote:
    C&ETV *shudders*
    Oh dear god, please tell me you are joking about that :eek:

Think a TV station would be a good idea though, they could have it broadcasting in all the canteens across campus and all. Damn stupid people bringing these good ideas in after I leave :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I'm almost certain this isn't true.
    No college or SU TV station being prepared or even discussed at this point in time.

Probably a good idea though.

• Advertisement

They should stick with the radio - i don't see why it can't be piped into more of the public areas on campus like the canteens or the student centre.

Yeah that should be promoted a hell of a lot more than it is - especially with the new pan-university radio station idea that will pool the resources of BelfieldFM, GriffFM, TrinityFM, and I think DCU together on one frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hadn't heard about a TV station although I had heard they were shooting a remake of The Wizard of Oz. The sheer amount of oompa loompas made it an obvious choice.

No, in seriousness, I think a TV station this would end up giving the college a bad name if it was run by D4 heads:

"Roysh, hello and a fantastic welcome to UCD-lite, the new, hip, focking most excellent show in town! Stay around for a bit of chat and a bit of craic, and have a totally focking fab time! Just don't OD on the Hoyneiken loike!"

Hmm, I think I'll pass... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well I wouldn't mind a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly TV show roysh.

And the thought of a Pat Paterson Friday night chat show sounds focking exillerating to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

the radio station will hopefully be on way more next year and also will be piped into almost all the public areas on campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

I hadn't heard about a TV station although I had heard they were shooting a remake of The Wizard of Oz. The sheer amount of oompa loompas made it an obvious choice.

i don't mean to nitpick... (oh, who am i kidding) but the oompa loompas were in willy wonka and the chocolate factory, not wizard of oz

they're munchkins you're thinking of - which we had enough of in school, thank you very much (stupid blue uniform... grumble grumble...)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

SebtheBum wrote:
    Yeah that should be promoted a hell of a lot more than it is - especially with the new pan-university radio station idea that will pool the resources of BelfieldFM, GriffFM, TrinityFM, and I think DCU together on one frequency.
    That almost happened a good few years back. DCU, Trinity and UCD were going to apply for a single licence together. DCU actually had it's own Community of Interest licence with Dublin Weekend Radio at the time and gave it up to team up the other colleges, but the others pulled out at the 11th hour and DCU's station died as a result.

It was a good idea though and it would be nice if they can manage to pull it off this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

i don't mean to nitpick... (oh, who am i kidding) but the oompa loompas were in willy wonka and the chocolate factory, not wizard of oz

they're munchkins you're thinking of - which we had enough of in school, thank you very much (stupid blue uniform... grumble grumble...)

Right you are. How did I confuse them?

*puts beer can down*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

*looks at the J in his other hand*

It was a good idea though and it would be nice if they can manage to pull it off this time around.

I'm sure they will - they agreed it last year, and (I think) got the single licence no problem. It's a year long licence, and each of the colleges will share the time between em. I don't know all the details, I only know second hand from two people, one of whom worked in BelfieldFM last year (and again this year probably) and from one who worked in TrinityFM.

ok for this year things are as is, each college will apply for a temp licence indiviudally and will each have 30 days of broadcasts. As far as possible all stations will use the same freq probably 97.3 FM but at the moment we don't have a full time licence.
    Belfield FM have the greatest range of all the stations since the fm transmitter is on the water tower but the main problem is money to kit out studios bigger transmitters etc etc. They are currently moving towards trying to get a full time licence but its realistically prob a few years down the road. As for Belfield FM there will be more time on air and it will be heard in more places around campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

zap is correct, i assume hes part of belfield fm to some degree, as am i

what seb was talking about grifffm TFM and BFM etc is called the Dublin College Radio Forum. its a pipe dream in most respects but i'd like to see it take off. BCI isnt easy to convince of anything. the hope is to broadcast BFM to all the common areas in each building, since its hard enough to get broadcast in the student centre (which is only a few metres away ffs)

anyway, its unlikely there will be a Belfield TV station.

however, there is a fully operational tv and radio studio in the Audio Visual department in the Library, and guess what? students are forbid from using it. big ****ing suprise. bit like the music department not allowing bands to practice in their studio. and dont get me started on dramsoc and filmsoc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Man BefieldTV would be a great idea, we could have shows like cops set on campus!

They should start broadcasting via the net anyway - people would be able to tune in in all the computer rooms - just stick in a pair of headphones. I doubt very much computing services would have a big issue with it (maybe multicast it to reduce traffic). Sun 80's do that now since their transmitter got raided by the ODTR.

I dunno if u mean the BelfieldTV or BelfieldFM Red Alert, but BelfieldFM already does broadcast via the web. It did so v successfully last year, in both November and February (when they had their licence).

Only problem is, you need to download a plugin to listen to it... :rolleyes:
    And those f**king computers in the Daedalus and the LG's in the Arts Block won't allow you to download and install anythin - it's why we can't dwnload and install MSNmessenger any more - which really f**ks me off, I can tell u... :mad:

• Advertisement

its not a plugin its real player, its as simple as comp services installing real player and then anyone in the computer rooms can listen at any time, there will probably be more net broadcasts this year.

Advertisement