Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomadation UCD.

Options
  • 29-06-2005 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Btw before I start it might be a good idea to have a pinned thread on accomadation for the individual college forums.

Anyways just wondering what the student accomadation is like in UCD thats pretty much it.
    Anyone whoes stayed there,visited or whatever any info would be briil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

I'll be looking for accom soon no parents with me this year now that I am a big second yr I am all on my own. any advice would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Irishstudent

Hey

I stayed in the glenomena residences in UCD (for 4th yrs and postgrads only i think). they're okay if ur new up here like i was as everything is standard.No rent to pay to landlord every week (just pay it once or twice and get it over with).The only thing is that these types of student apartments like in every university are so standardised (like edward nortons apartment in fight club).Okay it really depends on ur housemates.if they are interesting im sure ull have a blast but can backfire when ur put in with 4 or 5 others.The real big plus i found is the free wireless if u have a computer.for educational purposes of course with an occaional (or daily) visit to the home and away websites.There are no ovens in these apartments anyway (not sure about others) but there are 4 hobs and a microwave.U can get a potable oven in power city or somewhere if every1 chips in 15 quid or so.apart from that, rooms are ensuite (its a little pod bathroom) but it does the job and has a decent shower.The launderette in glenomena is a disaster but its hope regularly anyway.Not sure what else to say, windows dont open much so its a bitch in summer and in winter the house is ****in freezin with al the windows in living room.freezers are small.couch is like a couple of cement blocks but ull get over it.so really my experience is 'i dont like the place' but given that im a cultie new to dublin i probably would have ended up in a dump if i didnt end up here.Its near to college and im lazy so thats a big plus and u have all the facilities u want nearby centra,pub,fields (for drinking on, not playing in, of course). So probably no help to u but maybe to anyone else on this thread.now back to study (yes downloading home and away screensavers on the wireless) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Glenomena has no ovens. Merville & Glenomena do. Don't know what the new residences (yet to be built) will have. Wireless rocks. No oven is a seriously big downer, especially when you get past the 1st year diet of tinned food. Centra open 8-8 and Laundrette beside it (usually half broken).

Glenomena is more spacious with en-suites and better sound-proofing. It's still only stocked with facilities for 4 people (couches, fridges, etc.) even though there are 6 rooms. It's really for postgrads but undergrads get in.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

When will the new residences be finished for, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 spikslow

don't know about better sound proofing in Glenomena, it's pretty communal, I can hear virtually everything that's said in the adjacent rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭secrecy_ie

Lived in Merville in 1st year, that was several years ago and I have graduated since over a year ago, but I liked it there. In Merville, there are four bedrooms in each apartment, two bathrooms, living room, kitchen and little dining area. Couches have hard arms and are certainly not comfy. There is no piped tv, so you only get Irish channels. Can be quite noisy sometimes, but you get over it, RA's can be very strict and I nearly got evicted once for having a party - all in all, never really met anyone who hated living there, but it depends completely on the flatmates you are given.
    Belgrove is very similar to Merville only apartments are smaller.
    Good luck with finding a place to live, and if you are anything like I was in 1st year you will not be spending much time in your flat - tell the lads in the student bar Emma says hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

spikslow wrote:
    don't know about better sound proofing in Glenomena, it's pretty communal, I can hear virtually everything that's said in the adjacent rooms.
    Bad luck! I only ever hear things through the rooms when there's no noise outside or in the communal areas. There's a 'fairly' sound-proof door into the kitchen and sitting room, so you can get some peace.
    We have the 4 Irish channels and a sketchy Sky News, BBC1&2 and ITV3.

All in all I'd never go near Merville or Belgrove (let alone Roebuck!) having lived in Glenomena.

Advertisement