Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian Wilson in Vicar Street?

• 29-06-2005 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I know he is only performing as I type but would love to get feedback ahead of going to see him in Cork tomorrow night.
    Personally I prefer the old Beach Boys numbers to Smile and hope he does a number of the old favourites.
    His website states that in the US & Australian legs of his tour he will perform Smile in its entirity but that in Europe it will be more of the hits.
    Am curious if that proves to be the case.
    Considering how fast Vicar Street was sold out I'm really amazed that tickets are still available for Cork gig the night before he takes to the stage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I saw him in the point a coupla years ago and he was a mindless shambling drooling vegetable - it was embarassing quite frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭logonapr

I saw him in the point a coupla years ago and he was a mindless shambling drooling vegetable - it was embarassing quite frankly.

He was regarded as one of the star acts in Glastonbury at the weekend.

If necessary I can close my eyes & just listen to his music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

he was savage at glasto.

played a fair few track from Pet Sounds and 2/3 from Smile, then he did a lot of surfer songs, ****ing brilliant. I'd imagine it would be quite different outside of glasto, but with the great vibe, the sun, the doob and the really hot girls beside us chomping on some mushies, man it was heaven,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Just back from it. Twas a bit short (90 mins) but hey, when it's 90 minutes of that quality you'd be happy with 10 minutes. Granted, he's not quite as mentally agile as he used to be but he hits the notes, wrote the tunes and has one of the finest bands you're ever going to see. They did the acapella bit from the beginning of Smile and, ****, it was simply incredible. Amazing ****ing band.

Sounds great.

Did they do many of the hits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

He didn't do much of his recent solo stuff, every song was a classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

This is the general set list give or take

Then i Kissed her,
    dance dance dance,
    Sloop john b,
    Hawaii,
    heroes and Villanis,
    Surfer girl,
    Dont worry baby,
    Cigarette lighter joke -Jeff counted 0 then 7,
    All Smmer long,
    wendy,
    in my room,
    Smoke on the water (I’ll explain later)
    Breakaway,
    When i grow upm
    Be good to my baby,
    add some music,
    llittle irl i once knew,
    Row row row,
    California girls,
    please let me wonder,
    I get around,
    wouldn’t it be nice,
    good only knows,
    be my baby,
    you’re so good to me,
    sail on sailor,
    marcella,
    Good vibrations,
    Do it again,
    help me rhonda,
    Barbra ann,
    surfin usa,
    Fun fun fun,
    Love and Mercy

So you should be happy enough! :)

Thanks for the playlist.

Thought he was really outstanding tonight and way, way above my expectations. Have to put it my top few gigs ever.
    Really got the crowd going.

Only thing that really surprised me tonight was the fact that around 75% of the audience were men.
    Does his music not appeal as much to women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'd say it has something to do with the fact that 'Brian Wilson' is renowned for stuff like 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile', whereas to the general public, 'The Beach Boys' take credit for the surfy popular stuff. With that in mind, you get a lot of musos at Brian Wilson gigs.. musos and ex-band/musicians.. the majority of whom are men..

Just a thought..

K.
    (PS - I was a tad disapointed that there wasn't more from Smile at the Vicar St. gig)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Went to the Cork gig on Thursday and it was wonderful. Everybody abandoned the seating plan mid way through. Had a gas time dancing around to Good Vibrations at the front, just meters away from the man himself.

Had a quick look at the Brian Wilson message board just now and the band said it was the best gig of the tour so far. There was a pretty young crowd (many of which knew all the words) so the atmosphere was excellent.

The man himself was in pretty good form. He was grinning and gesturing at different people in the front who were trying to get his attention. His voice was in fantastic shape as well. The sound in general was excellent considering the gig was in a marquee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement