Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intersting anandtech article on next gen consoles performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'm impressed, I can't wait now for all this new spangly stuff that's coming out. Pity about the CPU's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

grimloch wrote:
    I'm impressed, I can't wait now for all this new spangly stuff that's coming out. Pity about the CPU's though.

Developers will work around it, they'll have to :-)

At least the gpu's are dacent. That will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

uberpixie wrote:
    Developers will work around it, they'll have to :-)

At least the gpu's are dacent. That will help.

I have no doubt whatsoever that it won't be great, don't get me wrong. It's just a pity it didn't work out like they intended.

HD lighting on the cards too, very nice.
    By far the biggest upgrade these new consoles will offer, from a graphics standpoint, is the ability to support HD resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Anand is biased anyway, to the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

great read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

anybody got the article text handy?

link no work now :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's been reposted here, not sure if it's the full article or not. Seems hugely biased alright, their main argument seems to be 'look at the core, it's tiny'

ty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm confused by this. I was always under the impression, from various sources and since long before all the details of these consoles came out, that IBMs PPC core was far better than x86 CPUs. I was under the impression that x86 CPUs have been crippled for a long time by legacy issues and inefficiency. I thought that was why Intel released the Itanium for example. But x86 has just survived based on it's huge software library.

But that article seems to make out exactly the opposite, that x86 processors are the best most efficient CPUs you can get. I don't know enough about the details but that just seems to be at odds with everything I've read about these CPUs up till now. Strange.

wow.

very good read indeed. Nothing between them at all. Both cpu's are overhyped.
    ps3 gpu
    It looks like the RSX will basically be a 90nm G70 with Turbo Cache running at 550MHz, and the performance will be quite good.
    360gpu
    ATI's Xenos GPU is also looking pretty good and most are expecting performance to be very similar to the RSX, but real world support for this won't be ready for another couple of months

360 > ps3 for developing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

A well thought-out rebuttal from an equally, if not more, credible source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050629-5054.html

Anand's article seemed to be pandering to his mostly PC-centric audience..his motives were truly relieved in the closing statements about how PC games would bring the true revolution we are looking for etc. etc.

That said, a couple of devs on another board have confirmed that he's not a million miles from the truth with regard to the specific details mentioned of X360's CPU. As for Cell, he seems to hand it advantages seemingly without even knowing it. He talks about its SPEs only being useful for a handful of tasks, chief among them physics acceleration, but doesn't seem to realise that such a handful takes up a very high proportion of CPU time - thus it is a big win if it can be accelerated. Even if the ONLY things the SPEs could be used for was physics, it would have been worthwhile. Physics is a massive CPU hog, it's the reason why we're seeing dedicated chips in the PC space. And Epic et al have been making very favourable rumblings regarding Cell's physics performance vs those dedicated chips (and have also said that most of the tasks the SPEs aren't useful for only take a small percentage of CPU time anyway, and could run pretty handily on its PPE).

Advertisement