Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question on Results

Options
  • 29-06-2005 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭

I just checked my results on Stuweb again and it states that the results are provisional and shouldn't be used as an Official Statement of Results.
    It says for a full interpretation of Results, I should consult the UCD Marks and Standards.

I have two questions for you.

Firstly, have any of you consulted the UCD Marks and Standards?

And secondly, is there a chance my results could be lower than what is stated in the provisional results? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

No

and

Very unlikely

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

yes and unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Unlikely? So it's possible?!

I think I will email them to see what the story is.

[rant] I was delighted to pass my exams despite not doing as much as I should have during the year. If some people are now gonna try deducting marks off me and ensuring that I fail, all hell will break loose! I will not take that crap lying down! [/end rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

1) Yes, and it was one of the most boring 160 page documents I ever read!

2) Technically they could but they won't - well not without a damn good reason. I've never, ever heard of anyones changing at all to tell you the truth, don't worry about it MNG, they're not going to change :)

• Advertisement

blondie83 wrote:
    2) Technically they could but they won't - well not without a damn good reason. I've never, ever heard of anyones changing at all to tell you the truth, don't worry about it MNG, they're not going to change :)

Thanks, that's kind of reassuring. I hope you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well I got a letter from the departments in the subjects I passed congratulating me and telling me that I got 2nd class honurs in the subjects. Have you not got any letter like this yet?

BTW: 25th best out of 360 1st year Geography students......... FCUK YEAH!

Well I got a letter from the departments in the subjects I passed congratulating me and telling me that I got 2nd class honurs in the subjects. Have you not got any letter like this yet?

No. :(

When did you get that?

ok seriously RELAX!

i gravely doubt that they are going to start "deducting marks and ensuring that you fail" :rolleyes:

i have never heard of it happening to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

well congrats. Does that encourage you after the turbulent year you've had?

• Advertisement

ok seriously RELAX!

i gravely doubt that they are going to start "deducting marks and ensuring that you fail" :rolleyes:

i have never heard of it happening to anyone.

Yeah but knowing my luck it probably would happen.

Yeah but knowing my luck it probably would happen.

it will not happen. Boards honour.

The provisional are set in stone. Excepting appeals - by the student rather than dept. The only reason they remain provisional is because they have to be ratified by a faculty level exam board which is remarkably slow in convening.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

ok seriously RELAX!

i gravely doubt that they are going to start "deducting marks and ensuring that you fail"

nobody's trying to fail you, put down the knife!
    in fact, they move heaven and earth trying to find ways to get people on the border between grade brackets to go UP, not DOWN! that's why, in some cases, they take into account work throughout the year, attendance, participation, i've even heard of extra-curriculars like involvement with departmenal societies, etc... being taken into account.

departments want a respectable pass rate, so that they can attract more students, so that they get more funding, which they can use to do research, so they can improve the standard of the department, so they can get more funding. see a common thread??

i've even heard of extra-curriculars like involvement with departmenal societies, etc... being taken into account.
    :o
    quiet you!!

OK thanks guys. I feel better now. I was just scared they would bump me down because of my shocking lack of essays and tutorial attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

i've even heard of extra-curriculars ... being taken into account.

I know a girl who extracurricular'ed* her way to a degree.

*actually, my innuendo should read ultra-curricular if we were to get pedantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

kasintahan wrote:
    I know a girl who extracurricular'ed* her way all the way to a degree.

*actually, my innuendo should read ultra-curricular if we were to get pedantic.

...explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

...explain.
    Well you see when a man meets a woman they sometimes *connect*

And when a lecturer meets a big busted teenage girl..

so it's all bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

YES*. Didnt you see the word "innuendo".

*Well, not BS, a joke - at least thats the way I took it up**

**Awaits more innuendo

• Advertisement

IN YORE ENDO!

and kevin, try not to take things so bloody literally all the time :rolleyes:

back on topic:

MrNiceGuy....if it says you passed then you passed. they arent going to turn around and say "oh actually, ya know what....since you missed a few tutorials and a few essays we've decided to fail you."

the mark you received has taken your essays into account and generally the department only consider your tutorial attendance if you are just under a pass and they are trying to bump up your mark.

and kevin, try not to take things so bloody literally all the time :rolleyes:

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

...explain.

Well okay, here's kas's 10 second pop Latin tutorial...

I used "extracurricular" as an adverb.
    "extra" used in such as sense means: To an exceptional extent or degree

Now, had I used it as an adjective "extra" assumes a far looser meaning of: More than or beyond what is usual, normal, expected, or necessary

But I didn't, so I had to use another, more grammatically faithful prefix.
    The one I chose was "ultra".

Ultra means: Far beyond the normal or proper degree of

Which gives a far better idea of the range and scope of the practical work she engaged in, in order to secure her qualification...

I may be misled, but I do not believe "ultra" can be used as an adverb.
    This rigour is probably what lends it it's precision.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

ROFL... F**king brilliant post there Kas :D

Advertisement