Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

photoshop vs paintshop pro vs photopaint

Options
  • 29-06-2005 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Which of these programs is best for web-graphics i am new to the design scene not to computers, have trials of all 3 cant decide which on i want to get into, any advice please. I know at the end of the day they all do the same thing.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Photoshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I trust you are factoring in the cost of each of these applications as a part of your decision?

What skill level are you at?

What do you want to do with it? Something like Photoshop is going to be overkill if all you want is simple line art.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

not my area of expertise TBH, but I have heard people remark that the open source app GIMP is pretty good and free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

it depends on what you want to do. for simple image manipulation - cutting pictures up, resizing, cutting bits out, making logos and such - I prefer paintshop pro. not least because it loads faster than photoshop!
    when it comes to heavy-duty things like high-res cg'ing though, photoshop is your only friend. I've played about with photopaint and I can't say I liked it all that much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

others have replied on your other thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=273687

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

It is a matter of opinions - Despite photoshop being more powerful doesnt mean you have to use it.
    I was in a similar predicament not so long ago that I was using Jasc Paintshop. It is a very user friendly , easy programme which I managed to teach myself how to use (as proof of how friendly it is) However after some time I decided to start using Photoshop and tried a couple of tuts. I got on well enough doing effects in Photoshop and cutting etc... them in Paintshop but I have now slowly phased Paintshop out of operation all together.
    And the quality if my sigs/art work has really rose since - The back ground of my sig was made from scratch in Photoshop.
    So really , if you havent got the ttime to learn go Paintshop but If you have the time and want that extra power go Photoshop. It's up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Just out of curiosity--

Does PaintShop Pro do layers, like good ol' Photoshop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

modular wrote:
    Does PaintShop Pro do layers, like good ol' Photoshop?
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

surprised no one has mentioned macromedia fireworks

a lot of people would say its number one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 WKD

If your just starting out, I think you'd be etter with Paint Shop Pro. I've used it for years now and still find tons of things to do with it. Although the latest version of PSP is becoming more and more like Photoshop.
    Photoshop is for the more experienced graphic designer, and after all my years on PSP I've finally started using Photoshop and am quite please with the results.

I remeber using GIMP when I first started and it was WKD too, plus it's free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

If you are starting out, go straight to photoshop.
    For economic reasons I choose paint shop pro, I know have photoshop but cant find the time to learn to use it *properly*.

There is no doubt that photoshop is better, and since you'll probably want to move onto it sooner or later, why waste time on paintshop pro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Photopaint is my weapon of choice. Corel even realised a free version of Photopaint 9 for Linux but then they discontinued it. You can still get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I use Paint Shop Pro 8. I'd love to use Photoshop, but the price! The GIMP is good, but I havent had the time to make anything decent on it yet. If you're serious about graphics then get Photoshop, but if you're just looking for a casual design tool, go for Paint Shop Pro. I made my sig from scratch on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

tbh I don't see the big deal about photoshop... I've tried it a few times, but just thought - "****, if I was using PSP I'd be finished by now"... I haven't seen anything photoshop can do that PSP can't.
    I'd be genuinly interested to hear what's so special about it, beyond the usual "oh, it's just better" or "looky all the plugins!" (which PSP can use anyway).
    The only thing I really noticed was the support for more colour formats, which is probably why it's so popular with printed media, etc.
    I've been using PSP7 for years now, it's like an extension of my arm at this stage... sitting down infront of photoshop and trying to re-adjust to a new interface is too much of a pain in the nuts unless there are clear advantages to doing so... I'd like to be convinced, but I still haven't been converted... maybe someone with experience of both packages can shed some light on this.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

There's a couple of things I've found are easier to do *generalises* in Photoshop, but I prefer to use PSP as I really don't see any great advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"I'd like to be convinced, but I still haven't been converted... maybe someone with experience of both packages can shed some light on this.

Oh, it's just better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

mm, I find photoshop's tools are just... plain better than psp. for instance the dodge and burn tools(which I used to use wayy too much) are much more subtle in photoshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Adviser

Photshop without a doubt, oh and if your interested in 3D stuff give Bryce a try....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Photoshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Galway22

I would say photoshop cs, as u can get many brushes, and make some very good brushes. I did start to use psp9 but found photoshop was better for my indivaul needs. When it comes down to it, it is what you perfer yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

i need help with PSP7..i wanna start making sigs but need help...if anyone has links to tuorials and stuff..pls tell me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

If it's for web design and web graphics then macromedia fireworks is yer only man. I'm too surprised that no-one else has noticed it.

Advertisement