Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shareholders Utd React badly to Glazier Sons

• 29-06-2005 11:15pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Breaking news on Sky News at the moment. Angry fans set up a barracade to try and stop them gaining entry to old trafford and it turned tasty.

Some terrible scenes between the police and some SHU people

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah,just seen it on sky.The Glazer brothers sped off in riot vans..Long way from Limos....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Its ridiculous. They hardly expect the Glaziers to go after going through all that trouble to get the club. The police were a bit rough though and made it look worse than it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Fair play to them i say,i can only imagine what it must be like for them watching their beloved club being taken over by a bunch of American bigwigs with no interest whatsover in the game.They will jack up ticket prices so the normal man will be priced out of the game,if you think Man United is bad now i can only imagine how bad it's going to become with the Glazers' in charge,it will all but cease to be a Football club in time,i feel sorry for the genuine Man United fans and i can totally undertstand their anger.

I remember when Celtic was going through a crisis in the 1990's with the board as i was there and it wasn't nice at all and i remember (before the Internet) reading in fanzines of letters from fans of other clubs pleding their support to Celtic fans, Man United fans amongst them, so i would most certainly pledge my support to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

just saw a quick clip of it. i can understand the reluctancy for this move but i think its really time to focus on the team because this just isnt going to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

jonny68 wrote:
    if you think Man United is bad now i can only imagine how bad it's going to become with the Glazers' in charge,it will all but cease to be a Football club in time,i feel sorry for the genuine Man United fans and i can totally undertstand their anger.

:rolleyes: This kind of uninformed scare-mongering is really starting to grate. Some people seem to think that the Glaziers bought United to deliberately eliminate it as a footballl club. Granted they are more interested in the United brand than anything else, but they are fully aware that without the football there IS no brand. Try to remember this before your next hysterical outburst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I thought the whole point of Malcolm's deal was that there wouldn't be any shareholders (bar himself) to unite?

I also have to agree with Devious. Glazer is a successful and astute business man and I doff my hat to him for the way he let Man U buy itself for him. He is not in the habit of buying businesses to run into the ground.

Also, I don't recall any such anti-capitalist, business is going to ruin the game hysteria from Man U fans when United went public or when Sky and the Premier League effectively privatised the game. All they saw then were the swollen coffers with which to expand the ground and snap up the Keanes, Rooneys and Ferdinands. Sorry to state the bleeding obvious but Manchester United put themselves in a position where this was possible and the success that position brought made it more likely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The only difference between Glaizer and the previous owners is that Glazier has put the club into huge debt.
    Thus I was initially opposed to the takeover, but now its done, and the only thing I want to happen if for Glazier to succedd, and these guys are minorly limiting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

It's their right to voice their opposition to his take over if they want as long as they do it peacefully. From the few news clips I saw the police were quite heavy handed, I saw some people who were sitting in peaceful protest being dragged to their feet and the police are not allowed t that as far as I know.

PHB, when you say 'The only difference between Glaizer and the previous owners is that Glazier has put the club into huge debt.', in a sense you're right but it's a BIG difference. I know if the profitable company I currently work for was taken over in the same sort way as United was I'd be worried for my long term future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The scenes last night were disgraceful and shameful, i'm opposed to the takeover, but i can not condone such violent, thugish, childish behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Thats a disgrace im all in favour what they are trying to do but why cant they give the glazers just a season we have all ready bought two new players which will be brilliant and the possibilty of getting michael owen they should just give him a chance like a majority of utd fans. The R.I.P crap really pist me off because utd will be bigger and better.
    GLORY GLORY MAN UTD!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I am not worried.
    Worst case scenario imo is:
    Glazier totally fails, and defaults on all his debt.
    He will in turn end up having to sell the club on for literally no money, so the club will be bought for free, as the debts will outweigh it.
    The banks won't want to asset strip since they can get more money if some rich person comes in to pay off all the debts.
    Many many sultans etc have been linked to buying United in the past, and I honastly believe that if Glazier does default, it will result in it being bought by some philantrophist.
    Either way, I don't think Glazier is going to fail. This guy has put nearly all of his self made wealth into this project, and I doubt this guy is goign to fail when looking at his record

I think he desreves a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Chubb76 wrote:
    I think he desreves a chance

Same here, everyone deserves a fair chance, he's not here to bring the club to ruins

Tauren wrote:
    The scenes last night were disgraceful and shameful, i'm opposed to the takeover, but i can not condone such violent, thugish, childish behavior.

What about the heavy handed approach the cops took?baton charging fans,some lads ended up in hospital :mad:

Chubb76 wrote:
    Thats a disgrace im all in favour what they are trying to do but why cant they give the glazers just a season we have all ready bought two new players which will be brilliant and the possibilty of getting michael owen they should just give him a chance like a majority of utd fans. The R.I.P crap really pist me off because utd will be bigger and better.
    GLORY GLORY MAN UTD!!!!!!

Yeah well the genuine United fans from Manchester wouldnt share your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jonny68 wrote:

How excactly are they genuine? also, what does the fact they are from manchester have anything to do with it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jonny68 wrote:
    ,it will all but cease to be a Football club in time.

WHat will it become? an american football team?

Genuine utd fans thats bull if you are one you will stick by them thick and thin even when the going gets tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

those idiots on the tv last night embarassed Manchester United imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

jonny68 wrote:

Theres United fans in Manchester ? :confused: , seriously though the 'fans' that were on tv were much worse thsn the police . I feel sorry for the fans who are sticking by the team instead of causing trouble over it .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Big Ears wrote:
    Theres United fans in Manchester ? :confused:
    Over half of Manchester is made up of United fans. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

So they want the Glazers to get out, then set up a barricade to stop them leaving? Makes sense.

Big Ears wrote:
    Theres United fans in Manchester ? :confused: , seriously though the 'fans' that were on tv were much worse thsn the police . I feel sorry for the fans who are sticking by the team instead of causing trouble over it .

Hey man dont feel sorry for us utd fans we just want are club bigger and better sure the glazers reassured sir bobby his job andd if we need more resources for on the pitch he would provide it.
    But thank you for feeling sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Chubb76 wrote:
    Hey man dont feel sorry for us utd fans we just want are club bigger and better sure the glazers reassured sir bobby his job andd if we need more resources for on the pitch he would provide it.
    But thank you for feeling sorry.

I feel sorry because you have asses who claim to be 'fans' of the club doing things like that not because Glazier is in charge . I would rather him to Freddie Shepard .

Its just a way for people to rebel etc.
    The people involved in FC United are not who I would consider of the highest integrity. The people involved in this are just trying to get their foot into the door of directorship of Man United, their long term goals being the ownership of the club with guess who in charge. A lot of them are worse than Glazier imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭madjack

jonny68 wrote:
    Fair play to them i say,i can only imagine what it must be like for them watching their beloved club being taken over by a bunch of American bigwigs with no interest whatsover in the game.
    are you serious?
    do you really think those guys would borrow hundreds of millions to buy a club if they had no interest in the game?

poppycock...

those Utd fans are idiots, the board of directors are idiots, the club brought it on itself by its IPO, leaving itself open to what has just happened. So good luck to the Glazers is what I say, they've brought the club back to private ownership and will be surely fighting for its interests singularly. Maybe they will get Utd back to being able to compete with the likes of Chelsea, Barca, and those nobodies who won the european cup ...hee! :D

Big Ears wrote:
    I feel sorry because you have asses who claim to be 'fans' of the club doing things like that not because Glazier is in charge . I would rather him to Freddie Shepard .

I dont mind glazer i think he could provide some quality injections to utd.

Advertisement