Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red insects???

Options
  • 29-06-2005 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

What are those tiny wee red insects that look like mini spiders - they're all over my bedroom windowsill & they are freaking me out!

How can I get rid of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

We used to call them bloodsuckers but I'm sure they have a proper name. That I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

Bloodsuckers!! we used to squish them when we were little ew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Thanks for reminding me about these. I'm trying to find out what exactly they are. At the moment I'm thinking they're Velvet mites, from the family Trombidiidae. As far as I can tell, they're tiny parasitic spider type creatures. What exactly they feed on, on the walls etc. I'm not sure.

I also refer to them as bloodsuckers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

There is a spray to kill spiders/insects,go to your local diy shop and ask.Think they are called Blood Spiders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

You can get a spray that if you spray it on the window it'll repeal them and they won't come back. You can get similar stuff for dealing with ants and it really works :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

why do you want to get rid of them? they do no harm you're aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I want to paint my windowsills & would prefer to have nice white sills rather than pink/red splattered abominations!!!! Also Hubby HATES creepy-crawlies...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

leave it alone, they have as much right to live as anyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

lomb wrote:
    leave it alone, they have as much right to live as anyone...

True, but are they paying you rent to live on your property. Get them to agree a rental amount and sign a lease before you consider eviction (or murder)

Fredser

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Fredser wrote:
    True, but are they paying you rent to live on your property. Get them to agree a rental amount and sign a lease before you consider eviction (or murder)

Fredser

You've obviously never tried enforcing a contract with a bloodsucker. They always deny it was them and claim it was their evil twin cousin 14-times removed who signed. Of course the fact that they are all called Fred doesn't help either....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Spray (soak) the window sill with a mix of water, vinegar, and a drop of washing up liquid, they wont come back.

hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazy days

Poor little mites, I'm sure they're the friendlist little creatures minding they're own buisness on the wall they're probabally vegetarians, and look at us we stereo type them with the name blood suckers just cause their skin is red, we should all be ashamed, ashamed i tells ya.

Big ignorant apes

you should spare their short little lives i bet they've only life span of a few days anyway.

Advertisement