Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Network Problems

• 30-06-2005 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

There are 3 computers on the LAN at home. One which is connected to the broadband connection and the others connect to it through a hub. Now everything is fine, all computers are able to access the internet fine. But my problem is that in 'network places', i'm not able to see the other computers. When i click on 'view workgroup computers' nothing is there?? why is that?
    I want to share files from one computer to another thats why i want this fixed and too be able to see and access the other computers. Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

do they have the same workgroup name?,

can you ping each pc from another?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

gordonnet wrote:
    do they have the same workgroup name?,

can you ping each pc from another?

Yeah they all have the same workgroup name.

How do i ping each PC again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

start - run - cmd (assuming it's xp/2k)
    ping machinename
    ping ip-address

check that it can do both :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I don't know but sometimes i have this problem. If you type the ip address in the address bar with a \\ before it. eg \\192.168.0.3
    Try that, you can always place shortcuts on the desktops if it gets annoying. Could be a temporary solution?

yeah i can't ping either of the 2 other pc's either. this is really annoying? any other ideas? i'll try the address bar thing now

that dosn't work either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Firewalls block pings and file sharing.

If you aren't behind a hardware firewall then you must leave a firewall running on windows. You could try an ftp program to share files.

workgroups are a real pain sometimes, like nothing visible if nothing shared or if no machine is the master browser or if they continually fight over who is the master browser ( windows 95 used to think it ranked higher than servers :rolleyes: ) again if you haven't shared anything then there won't be anything to see, but use an ftp program instead to be on the safe side.

try
    ping 192.168.0.255 ( the first three numbers of your network and .255)
    arp -a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What are the IP addresses & Subnet maks of the three machines and the internal IP of your router?

^ Yes. Can you list these. Perhaps they are out of range or such but then again they all communicate with the router. Probably is a firewall issue

Yeah well i'm running 'ZoneAlarm' on my machine and one other one. The 3rd one i think is running Nortan Firewall. Could this be a problem?

Easy to know, disable them both and see if you can network then

• Advertisement

Firewalls block pings and file sharing.

If you aren't behind a hardware firewall then you must leave a firewall running on windows. You could try an ftp program to share files.

workgroups are a real pain sometimes, like nothing visible if nothing shared or if no machine is the master browser or if they continually fight over who is the master browser ( windows 95 used to think it ranked higher than servers :rolleyes: ) again if you haven't shared anything then there won't be anything to see, but use an ftp program instead to be on the safe side.

try
    ping 192.168.0.255 ( the first three numbers of your network and .255)
    arp -a

How does a ftp program work? ive never used one.

First of all have you tried disabling both firewalls. This will count out firewalls. Do this before going into unnecessary troubleshooting

Advertisement