Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If nobody wants asylum seekers

Options
  • 30-06-2005 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

If nobody wants asylum seekers then therefore and ditto nobodys public representatives want asylum seekers either, as that would be a nonsence in a democracy.

Perhaps the next set of tribunals in our fair land should be addressing the level of bogus representation over the asylum racket and committing large numbers of our silent TD's, to slopping-out stretches in Mountjoy for misrepresentation and fraud and latterly theft.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Nevada wrote:
    If nobody wants asylum seekers then therefore and ditto nobodys public representatives want asylum seekers either, as that would be a nonsence in a democracy.

Perhaps the next set of tribunals in our fair land should be addressing the level of bogus representation over the asylum racket and committing large numbers of our silent TD's, to slopping-out stretches in Mountjoy for misrepresentation and fraud and latterly theft.

Hmmmmm, yaaaaaaa, that made perfect sense, there, Nevada!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nevada wrote:
    If nobody wants asylum seekers then therefore...
    Your argument depends on proving your initial case. Your inference might well be fine (or might not) and hence the conclusion but you haven't given any basis for assuming the initial premise. In the absence of that it's not worth my while discussing the topic though I'll see if anyone else does.

If this is an attempt to discuss asylum, the asylum process, asylum seekers or owt to do with these, you might be beest just proposing your opinion in a rational way. The way you've started this, you need to prove your initial case before anyone with any copon would take the time to reply. Your ball, your court, use your racket.

To answer your proposal about the tribunal though, it isn't the duty of politicians, even in a representative democracy, to represent the precise views of their constituents on many or any particular matter. If you don't like the way your representative protects and advances your views, you're perfectly free to come together with your peers and vote them out of a job. Or run as a candidate yourself. In recent years that opportunity has arisen slightly more often than every five years. If they don't vote the way you think (or even know) all their constituents wish, you don't get to put them in the dock for it. You get to put them in the local dole office. Tribunals have been set up substantially only for large-scale illegal or possible illegal activities. Failing to represent the views of your constituents is not illegal. Should you choose to make it illegal, it's rather a larger issue than that of simple asylum. At that point, given that you would be having a vote on every single issue to make sure your representative knows how his/her vote should go, you could get rid of the representative aspect of representative democracy altogether, though obviously as that's a rather large decision it may well be an issue for a dedicated distinct thread on the issue.

Back up your premise. You've got nothing without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Based on his history of posts I would say it is probably just wishful thinking. He may be referring to that poll done some time ago, has been discussed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not with 16 posts he's (she's?) not. ;)

possibly a very cunning troll. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Out of interest. If Ireland decided tomorrow that we're not taking in any asylum seekers/refugees ever again, I guess we'd have "unsign" ourselves from the United Nations Convention on the Status of Refugees. What would the other implications? I also assume we'd have to remove ourselves from other international agreements etc. as a result?
    I'm guessing it wouldn't be as simple as some people would imagine i.e. we can't just decide that this piece of international law doesn't appeal to us, but we'll take the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Oh we can generally decide to do such things alright, but they often don't make one too popular with the neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I might not WANT masses of asylum seekers but I would never object to granting refugee status to a genuine case. My only objection would be the shoddy manner in which the govt handles the matter.

Is it their "asylum seeker" status or their colour that truly bothers you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭axtradub12

We have to many already. Ireland is too small a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

axtradub12 wrote:
    We have to many already. Ireland is too small a country.

Ireland used to have a population of 8 million, with far more primitive food sources and accomodation than we have today. Ireland also exported many millions of our own refugees (largely economic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Only something like 3% of asylum seekers are recognised as genuine refugees. The problem is that they can leech off our system for the number of years it takes to make a decision.

I mean TBH - most of them want everything, claim this, claim that, entitled to this, etc. Man, ffs if I was "fleeing persecution" I'd be fcuking glad to sleep on the streets if it meant I was safe.

Biggest bunch of chancers on the planet, the massive majority of them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I must say I'm not seeing the huge, horrendous problems being caused by refugees. And there are many benefits in terms of increased work-force and cultural diversity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭axtradub12

rsynnott wrote:
    I must say I'm not seeing the huge, horrendous problems being caused by refugees. And there are many benefits in terms of increased work-force and cultural diversity.
    I say bring our own Irish back home from Britain & elsewhere.

axtradub12 wrote:
    I say bring our own Irish back home from Britain & elsewhere.

Ah, right, kicking and screaming, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ireland used to have a population of 8 million, with far more primitive food sources

We also lived in sub-standard accomodation and had to deal with a host of other problems at the time. It's not really a comparible situation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Only something like 3% of asylum seekers are recognised as genuine refugees. The problem is that they can leech off our system for the number of years it takes to make a decision.

:rolleyes:

Why do I bother...
    In 2004, a total of 1,132 individuals were recognised as refugees (430 at 'first instance' and 702 at the appeal stage). The recognition rate was 6% at first instance and 11% on appeal.

Source

I can't be bothered doing your research, so you can find out the preceeding years figures yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

BuffyBot wrote:
    We also lived in sub-standard accomodation and had to deal with a host of other problems at the time. It's not really a comparible situation

Compare it to say South Korea similar size to Ireland and has a population of 48 million. Also makes Ireland look like an overpriced third world country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

Your ball, your court, use your racket.

did you take this phrase from a self-help book or something ? :D

Compare it to say South Korea similar size to Ireland and has a population of 48 million.

Apart from the size, there is a whole world of difference between South Korea and Ireland!

BuffyBot wrote:
    Apart from the size, there is a whole world of difference between South Korea and Ireland!

So your worry about the whole thing is that the island can't sustain that many people, right? Well, that's silly. Another few Dublin-sized cities scattered around and you're done.

Another few Dublin-sized cities scattered around and you're done.

Great, another few Dublins. What a well planned success the original is...another few will make it much better...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Macmorris

Nevada wrote:

The Sunday Tribune carried out an IMS poll (http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0501/poll.html) that found that 80% of Irish people wanted tougher restrictions on immigration, and yet I don't think there is a single elected politician who would even come close to representing their views.

It's not just with immigration though. I remember watching that newsnight programme where they had a poll analysing people's views on the EU. Around 39% of Irish people said they would either be glad or indifferent if the EU were to fall apart tomorrow. But as with immigration, eurosceptic views are unfairly represented in the Irish media and in politics.

We need better politicians in this country. The problem is that most politicians tend to be career-oriented rather conviction-oriented. In a choice between the interests of the people they represent, the interests of their party and their public image, the former seems to come last.

As the media seems so interested in getting the opinions of the public, maybe they should do a poll where they get the opinions of our elected representatives and see how they match up. That way we might be better able to hold them to account. It would be interesting to know how Irish politicians would respond when asked how they would feel at the prospect of Irish people becoming a minority in this country in the next fifty years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Macmorris wrote:
    The Sunday Tribune carried out an IMS poll (http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0501/poll.html) that found that 80% of Irish people wanted tougher restrictions on immigration, and yet I don't think there is a single elected politician who would even come close to representing their views.
    Incorrect, the poll found that 80% of the population wants restrictions on immigration, and I don't think there's a single elected politician who doesn't represent that view.
    We need better politicians in this country.
    Everyone always blames the politicians, nobody ever blames the people who vote for them every election.
    It would be interesting to know how Irish politicians would respond when asked how they would feel at the prospect of Irish people becoming a minority in this country in the next fifty years.
    It certainly would be interesting, I hope none of them would take such unrealistic scaremongering seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭frootfancy

How simple can immigration be?

Zimbabwe. Hostile, run by a despotic little troll hell bent on killing anyone who doesn't say his anus produces gold. natural reaction to asylum seekers? Deport them.

Iraq- A free, new independant nation who needs its population to rebuild the peaceful, democratic future promised by the West. keep their asylum seekers here with no power to send them back.

We've gotten so bogged down in figures and opinion we've lost sight of what asylum stood for. Zimbabweans have a genuine need to come to the UK (Heath Streak and Andy Flower being the most high profile) Mugabe is torturing, killing, bulldozing and wearing cream trousers with dark blazers. Iraqis now have a free country in which to revel their lives. We've begun deporting Kosovans so why are we still accepting Iraqis?

I could narrow the application process to one question;

Are you in danger where you come from?

Yes / No

If the answer's No, then its big silver bird time.

frootfancy wrote:

Iraq- A free, new independant nation who needs its population to rebuild the peaceful, democratic future promised by the West. keep their asylum seekers here with no power to send them back.

Unless they happen to be a woman, in which case they're pretty much ****ed if they're expecting to go back and lead the same sort of life they used to lead.

Well we keep hearing about the new and free Iraq. Its time Iraqis everywhere should enjoy the opportunity we bestowed upon them. You have to look at the terms of asylum. Iraqi Kurds came to the UK because of persecution from Saddam. He's not going to be doing that anymore hence there is no need to stop in the UK.

frootfancy wrote:
    Well we keep hearing about the new and free Iraq. Its time Iraqis everywhere should enjoy the opportunity we bestowed upon them. You have to look at the terms of asylum. Iraqi Kurds came to the UK because of persecution from Saddam. He's not going to be doing that anymore hence there is no need to stop in the UK.

You're making the amazing leap of logic that because someone on the tv vaguely says that Iraq is "free", it is. Things have improved for some groups (male Kurds, fundamentalists, political opponents of Sadaam) and got worse for others (women). The thing is, by Middle East standards, Iraq was middle of the road. There is now a huge potential for it to turn into another Iran.

"You're making the amazing leap of logic that because someone on the tv vaguely says that Iraq is "free", it is"

Its part of the contribution. However as most Iraqis here are Kurds who fled Saddam, now he is removed surely their reason for asylum is gone too? I know its not quite that staight forward but its the only logical way to work the system. If you start tweaking things here and there, adding a ticky box for a certain group then you create the nightmare we have today.

People fled the former Yugoslavia because of persecution from Milosevic and the Serbs. Milosevic was removed, Croats/ Bosnians/ Croat Serbs/ Kosovans and various others were shipped out. You can't keep creating different tiers for different countries.

We keep being told the diplomatic Iraq is imminent so there surely can be no reason for Iraqis to be still claiming asylum.

frootfancy wrote:

We keep being told the diplomatic Iraq is imminent so there surely can be no reason for Iraqis to be still claiming asylum.

You keep being told that by a government that participated in a messy war, that wants to make the best of it that it can. Look a bit closer though, and Iraq becomes less of a democratic wonderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

I mean TBH - most of them want everything, claim this, claim that, entitled to this, etc. Man, ffs if I was "fleeing persecution" I'd be fcuking glad to sleep on the streets if it meant I was safe.

Biggest bunch of chancers on the planet, the massive majority of them :rolleyes:
    Couldn't agree more.

A friend of mine works in social welfare and has to give out checks to asylum seekers. He told me that the Nigerians in particular are a real pain. They complain that they are not getting enough and they usually go for luxury items like expensive buggies. The cheap buggies (they cost hundreds btw) are not good enough.

It makes you wonder. They come here seeking asylum but still want everything going and are only satisfied with luxury items.

• Advertisement

"You keep being told that by a government that participated in a messy war, that wants to make the best of it that it can. Look a bit closer though, and Iraq becomes less of a democratic wonderland."

Much like the former Yugoslavia. I am aware Iraq is made up of effectively several different cultures that all want their own way. Just like the Balkans. However ideal or not, we deported them when the war ended and in that premise there's no reason not to deport Iraqis. Don't worry about me believing what the coalition claim Iraq now is. All i'm saying is there's no need for further Iraqis to be let in and its time to start thinking about sending the ones here back. Kurds claimed oppression from Saddam to get into the country. That reason has now gone and a people appointed leader put in place.

If the continued terror attacks in Iraq are a reason to leave, why wasn't Scotland flooded with Northern Irish asylum seekers? Or how about Portugal being over-run with Spanish/ French people fleeing Eta?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement