Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cinderella Man

• 30-06-2005 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Why did this film flop in the U.S.? It's really not fair when films like The Longest Yard make more money than it. I don't want to get into a review, but the professional reviews have been really, really good. I thought this film was sure to make tons and tons of money. Its a guarantee that it will be picking up a few Oscars anyway.

Also, I wanted to ask, why is this film released in June in America, and in September here? Do they do it on purpose? The only reason I can think of is that they see that time of year as a better time to release that film over here. But I can see no reason for that, the only other reason would be that it physically takes them three months to get the film over to Europe. That cant be right, because some films come out everywhere on the same day. Whats the reason?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The movie reels are shared. World wide release dates are to help combat piracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Maybe because of bad publicity, Russel Crowe threw that telephone at one of the hotel staff. Timing would be a big factor in the flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

That actually makes sense, they released the film earlier in the US, because they enjoy their film being pirated. Now, Cinderella Man wasnt pirated very well, but had it been a hit, which they expected it to be, it would of been pirated like crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well from what i can see its not as well distributed as longest yard and other films. In the part of new york i'm at (central manhatten) i've only seen 2 cinema's showing cinderella man and only one of them is making a big deal of it. The longest Yard had huge posters up at every cinema it played in.

so i put it down to mainly advertising.

But its a great film, amazing cinematography and Crowe is good in it. But Raging Bull is still the better boxing film. (its better then Ali though.)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well in a bid to encourage Americans to go see it, one of the US chains is offering a money back guarantee if you don't like it - and no, I'm not making this up.

As to releases - it depends on who is behind a picture. Reels are very expensive so to do a worldwide release, you generally have to be a big name movie - Batman Begins or 'War of the Worlds' and so forth. Otherwise you wait a bit and send off the reels to others. There's also advertising campaign costs, etc. So this movie doesn't really have a lot of big explosions, and so on, so it's less likely to have been thrown into a large release.

• Advertisement
Advertisement