Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eminent domain.. backfires?

Options
  • 30-06-2005 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45029

Short jist of it is the judge that ruled people would be kicked out of their house to make way for Private company to build on the land, has now had another developer asked for him to be kicked out so they can build a hotel where his house is.

Doubt its going to happen though, just funny.
    According to a statement from Clements, the proposed development, called "The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Café" and include a museum, open to the public, "featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America." Instead of a Gideon's Bible in each room, guests will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged," the statement said.

Clements says the hotel must be built on this particular piece of land because it is a unique site – "being the home of someone largely responsible for destroying property rights for all Americans."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I'm not all that familiar with the situation. I do know that this already goes on quite a bit anyway. I assume that this just sets a precedent in law?
    An nice neighborhood adjacent to the one I grew up in in Fort Worth, Texas was victim to this use of eminent domain.
    Basically a 50 yo neighborhood (k thats old by American standards) was demolished to make way for 10 to 20 "box" stores and malls in the late 90's. The place is full of McDonalds and KFC's now as well. It looks horrible, the traffic is gridlock and there is a nice haze hanging over the area now. It was a nice middle class neighborhood before.
    The "jobs" it created are mostly minimum wage.
    The city council sidelined any public debate about the project as well as forced out those that didn't want to sell their property.
    [sarcasm]Thank Allah we've got those "leftists" or "liberals" out their fighting for us. [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

Hobbes wrote:
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45029

Doubt its going to happen though, just funny.

Here's the local take:
    http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=57048
    It sounds like a typical county weasel is going to sandbag the permits.

I'd to see all of the Fab Five under threat of eminent domain. I'd bet they all have some VERY choice realestate.

Ginsberg's official residence is in Brookland, so it would pretty much take Trump's pull to get the City to move on her (and he is on her team). I would imagine she also has a house in Georgetown...and anyone who's been to Geogetown knows they need a Walmart. A Hooters, at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

xm15e3 wrote:
    Here's the local take:

I'd to see all of the Fab Five under threat of eminent domain. I'd bet they all have some VERY choice realestate.

Yea lets demolish their mansions and put in some community housing...I'll volunteer my time to the project...what about you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

sovtek wrote:
    Yea lets demolish their mansions and put in some community housing...I'll volunteer my time to the project...what about you? :D

Abso-freakin'-lutely. Although I would rather take pay (even insignificant amounts) just to make the point clear that their land was taken for a someone elses private, for-profit, business. Wouldn't want it to look Constitutional or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Cojofl

Hilarious.

Honestly, this is utilitarianism gone mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭frootfancy

Believe it or not this type of law has existed in the UK for a number of years now. Its called a compulsary purchase order. Its recently been used in Smethwick to buy private properties that were run down. The council pays a pitance for the housing (ie £22k for an £90k house). You either accept the money and move or get turfed out and lose your house. Its scary :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

frootfancy wrote:
    Believe it or not this type of law has existed in the UK for a number of years now. Its called a compulsary purchase order.

AFAIK Ireland has/had (?) it too, but last time I heard it used was a road near crumlin. All the houses on the street became pretty much worthless as you couldn't sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭frootfancy

This has been used extensively in Smethwick lately. There have been upwards of 50 houses bout and demolished to make room for a new shopping complex and for new apartments. They got paid £22k for their house. Seems a bit harsh to me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hobbes wrote:
    AFAIK Ireland has/had (?) it too, but last time I heard it used was a road near crumlin. All the houses on the street became pretty much worthless as you couldn't sell them.

In Ireland's case, however, it is, AFAIK, at least in theory restricted to infrastructure and essential state works.

Advertisement