Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sli question

Options
  • 30-06-2005 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Upgrade time coming want to get an SLI board for Nvidia and use different G cards hopefully one 6800 Ultra and another within budget.

Is there a standard for using Diff Gpus?

Or can they just be both PCI e?

Whats a decent board too before i go on my research mission, preferably AMD.
    I happy long time Abit user so the AN8 is top of the list atm. Is there a diff between the AN8 standard SLi and the fatality one (besides €60)

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

SLi must use identical boards. Even different BIOSes on the boards can cause problems. This is from someone who has experienced this! ;)

I would advise you to buy one board now and another, from the exact same manufacturer, in a while. It might work then...

There have been people who have gotten boards from diff manufacturers working together but this is by no means easy, nor recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

WizZard wrote:
    There have been people who have gotten boards from diff manufacturers working together but this is by no means easy, nor recommended.

Hrmmph the review i read had a 6800Gt with a 6600Gt my kind of budget but with an 6800 ultra. And then upgrade the 66 to a 68 by xmas

Must go researching more so :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ATI Crossfire tbh.

I'm just hoping it'll work on an NF4 SLI board eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Decent board : Asus an8 premium (this has a chipset heatpipe rather than the deluxe versions noisy fan + some software improvements)

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=18564

Some folks would go for the DFi nforce4 sli board as being the best overclocker, but it would be too much to tweak for me!!! (lazy fecker that i am)

@ syxpak
    Crossfire could be enabled on an nforce4 chip board?
    would this entail nvidia unlocking something or giving ATi permission and what motivation would nvidia have for assisting a compeditor i wonder

I ask because im itching to buy my new internals ,my new akasa case is sitting on a desk looking very empty! and I just can't argue against x800xl for about 300 bucks vs 6800gt for around 400 with the same performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

SyxPak wrote:
    ATI Crossfire tbh.

I'm just hoping it'll work on an NF4 SLI board eventually

Is there a likleyhood of that happening because i have an X850 Pro and an asus sli board. In time could i just buy the crossfire edition of the card and update the bios and that be that

• Advertisement
Advertisement