Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shell meets Boards.ie - a protest? (naive rant herewithin)

Options
  • 30-06-2005 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Boards.ie - Ireland's largest online community. Do we have a purpose beyond meeting for beer, giving computer advice and selling mobile phones to each other?

At the time of writing this there are about 400 other people on the site. This will go up and down as the day goes on.

5 men were jailed last night for contempt of court, by blocking a shell gas pipeline going through their land in Mayo. This is an outrage. I won't go into how the government has decided to hand over our natural resources to this big multinational - without looking for royalties. I won't go into Shell's past abuses, or how these people have genuine concerns over the risk at running this pipeline through their community. Once more in Ireland, the almighty dollar rules the roost and we the public carry on with or daily lives - not really giving a toss. It doesn't directly affect us - so why bother?

If boards.ie can have one purpose, bigger than itself - this is it. We have a powerful resource if we choose to use it. With our network, I propose we could block every shell garage in Dublin and beyond. I propose in concert we take our cars, motorbikes, bicycles and ourselves to our local garages. We obstruct the pumps and the entrances to the garages. A simple A4 sheet in solidarity with the 5 men will get the message across.

After all - this is our country... for now at least... we can have a say... if we WANT to. It remains to be seen if the public in general (or this niche community) really cares beyond themselves.

RE*AC*TOR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

it was contempt of court which means they ignored a court order. for them to have ignored a court order they would have had to have been in court before to present their case. Just because they arent happy with the result of a court case doesnt mean they can flout the court order.

I could run over a tot in my car and get banned from driving but just because I wasnt happy with the ban does that mean I can drive.

These 5 are free to leave jail as soon as they purge their contempt, so they could be out this morning if they so desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ah yes, the old God asking Abraham to kill his son Isaac.

Just as Abraham should have told God to sod off, these men are correct in standing up for their principle. Their contempt is justified.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case, I'm with Nuttzz on this one. I've always maintained that contempt of court should be considered one of the most serious offences there is; if it were not, what authority do courts have?
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I won't go into how the government has decided to hand over our natural resources to this big multinational - without looking for royalties. I won't go into Shell's past abuses, or how these people have genuine concerns over the risk at running this pipeline through their community.
    That's where I think you're going wrong. You're directing your ire in the wrong direction, as so often happens in these cases. Remember, these men are not in jail because they don't want the pipeline through their land, they're in jail because they're in contempt of court. All they have to do to get out is to agree to pursue their concerns in a legal manner. It shouldn't be a lot to ask.

For the record, I agree with you: the government sold the country - and Mayo in particular - down the river where this gas is concerned.

oscarBravo wrote:
    Remember, these men are not in jail because they don't want the pipeline through their land, they're in jail because they're in contempt of court. All they have to do to get out is to agree to pursue their concerns in a legal manner. It shouldn't be a lot to ask.

Pursuing their concerns in a legal manner won't necessarily stop this pipeline from being built through their land. However, obstructing it will.

When the courts are wrong contempt is healthy. And let me remind you, judges are only human. They make bad decisions like everyone else.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Pursuing their concerns in a legal manner won't necessarily stop this pipeline from being built through their land. However, obstructing it will.
    ...which is precisely why there's a court order preventing them from obstructing it. Which is why they're in jail, not obstructing it - in other words the construction will go ahead in their absence. It's not merely illegal, it's counter-productive.

Lest anyone be under any illusions that it's a case of Ireland versus Shell, there's a lot of controversy in Mayo over this pipeline. There are at least as many supporters as opponents.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    When the courts are wrong contempt is healthy. And let me remind you, judges are only human. They make bad decisions like everyone else.
    That's what higher courts are for. Taking the law into your own hands simply can't be tolerated in a civilised society.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

fine, but where does it stop? Who decides the court is wrong? Higher courts. Just because you dont like the decision doesnt mean you cant flout it. Can I physically block the establishment of pay and display parking outside my house, can I physically block the introduction of a new QBC on my road because I object to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

oscarBravo wrote:
    Remember, these men are not in jail because they don't want the pipeline through their land, they're in jail because they're in contempt of court. All they have to do to get out is to agree to pursue their concerns in a legal manner. It shouldn't be a lot to ask.
    Yerp. This has nothing to do with how Shell are a big evil corporation, and these guys are just salt-of-the-earth farmers, trying to make a living even though they're awful poor and just decent guys. :rolleyes:

They broke the law, they were jailed. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

havent had enough time to read up on this in detail as i've been prety busy, but it seems to me it's just another case of N.I.M.B.Y. and blaming the oil companies for everything.

Nuttzz wrote:
    fine, but where does it stop? Who decides the court is wrong? Higher courts. Just because you dont like the decision doesnt mean you cant flout it. Can I physically block the establishment of pay and display parking outside my house, can I physically block the introduction of a new QBC on my road because I object to them.
    yes, yes you can. Its called Civil Disobediance. Its how things used to get done before people's lives were filled with inane distractions.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    yes, yes you can. Its called Civil Disobediance. Its how things used to get done before people's lives were filled with inane distractions.

but if i engage in civil disobediance I have to take responsibility for the consequences of my actions, which would probably eventually land me in the clink, and who could I blame? big business? oppressive government? perhaps but really the reason i'd be inside would be because of my own actions.

As I said earlier they could be out this morning if they so desired

• Advertisement

Nuttzz wrote:
    As I said earlier they could be out this morning if they so desired

and instead they choose to stand by their convictions... the bastards! :rolleyes:

my point is - this is our country - we have the power to change it when the system fails. The system HAS failed in this case. These men shouldn't have to curtsy to shell. We (as a society) should care, and when we see an injustice - we should act.

However, we will instead hide behind our seemingly set-in-stone laws that are always right and say boohoo to anyone inconvenienced (as long as its not us).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    It remains to be seen if the public in general (or this niche community) really cares beyond themselves.
    Its perfectly clear from the responses here already that people dont care beyond themselves. Anyone who opposes the government allowing corporations to built on their land is a criminal, a whingebag or a NIMBY.

Very few people will give a toss, until perhaps it comes to their turn, and then no-one will give a toss about them in turn.

You might as well give up before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Pursuing their concerns in a legal manner won't necessarily stop this pipeline from being built through their land.
    Correct. It will only do so if they can eventually convince the court that the government acted inappropriately in relation to Irish law in how they have built this pipe.
    However, obstructing it will.
    How do you make that out?

They tried obstructing it, and got thrown in jail. Their being in jail is at least a factor in why you started this thread, cause the pipeline nor the case itself is new....just these guys getting jailed.

So how will these men being in jail stop the pipeline being built? How will it even offer a greater chance of the pipeline being stopped, compared to the possibility that the legal avenue could offer.

jc

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0630/mayo.html
    who are objecting to the pipeline for health and safety reasons.

the age old cry of the NIMBY...

This is very doable...

Shell
    Irish Air Corps
    IRL - BALDONNELL

Parnell Self-Service (distance: 1.2 mi)
    Parnell Road
    IRL - Dublin 12 D6

Kilmainham Self Serve (distance: 1.4 mi)
    "S C R, Kilmainham"
    IRL - Dublin 8 D8

East Link Self Serve (distance: 1.8 mi)
    East Wall Road
    IRL - Dublin 1 D1
    Tel: 353

Friarsland Filling Station (distance: 2.2 mi)
    "Roebuck Rd, Clonskeagh"
    IRL - Dublin 14 D14

Donnybrook Self Serve (distance: 2.4 mi)
    Donnybrook
    IRL - Dublin 4 D4

Taney Service Station (distance: 2.4 mi)
    "Taney Rd, Dundrum"
    IRL - Dublin 14 D14

Mulhuddart Self Serve (distance: 2.5 mi)
    "Navan Rd, Mulhuddart"
    IRL - Dublin 15 D15

Glasnevin Service Station (distance: 2.5 mi)
    "Finglas Rd, Glasnevin"
    IRL - Dublin 11 D11

Clontarf Road
    IRL - Dublin 3 D3

CiaranC wrote:
    Its perfectly clear from the responses here already that people dont care beyond themselves.

How is only looking after oneself to say that first and foremost, one needs to respect the law in order to expect sympathy in getting the law to help in one's cause ? Because thats what most people are saying here.
    Anyone who opposes the government allowing corporations to built on their land is a criminal, a whingebag or a NIMBY.
    There's been one comment along those lines. The rest have been that anyone who breaks the law is a criminal, and that they don't believe that breaking the law is the right way to fight this fight. But if you'd prefer to cast those who don't fully agree with you in such a negative light...please...don't let me stop you from trying to convince others that your side is right because you'll just insult those who disagree.
    Very few people will give a toss, until perhaps it comes to their turn, and then no-one will give a toss about them in turn.

You might as well give up before you start.

It is notable that there hadn't been any discussion about the pipeline, the objections, or any of it in here until these guys got thrown in jail. The people looking to drum up support for the opposition of this pipeline didn't see fit to raise the issue in here.....but now its our fault because we're not interested enough to suddenly side with them when someone comes all enraged that people who broke the law got jailed for it.

If thats the right way to approach garnering support in your book, then I'd agree - you really might as well give up before you start.

I would have thought a logical presentation on why the pipeline should be opposed, as well as some discourse perhaps on explaining why these men felt they had no option but to risk incarceration would be a minimum precursor to expecting anyone to support such a cause...because they need to know where the cause is coming from....but what do I know.

jc

bonkey wrote:
    Correct. It will only do so if they can eventually convince the court that the government acted inappropriately in relation to Irish law in how they have built this pipe.

eventually... when its built.

bonkey wrote:
    How do you make that out?

They tried obstructing it, and got thrown in jail. Their being in jail is at least a factor in why you started this thread, cause the pipeline nor the case itself is new....just these guys getting jailed.

So how will these men being in jail stop the pipeline being built? How will it even offer a greater chance of the pipeline being stopped, compared to the possibility that the legal avenue could offer.

jc

They used the tools at their disposal. The legal avenue in reality would not have prevented the pipeline being built. Perhaps being martyred for their cause may have the desired effect in the long run. Either way - it has highlighted this case in a way that filing an appeal could never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Shell got compulsory purchase orders for the farmers land!!!!!

A private company company having the right to come in and take the land?
    This has never been granted in the history of the state.
    I smell huge wads "WADS" of cash.

If the state has interests here this changes the perspective.
    But the state have a big fat 0 to make out of this - it's all shell profit.

Disgrace Disgrace Disgrace
    But unsupprising in our current regime

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Either way - it has highlighted this case in a way that filing an appeal could never do.

i agree, i hadn't heard about it til now. the main issue of contention seems to be that some of the locals want the terminal built offshore but shell say that offshore weather conditions would endanger workers safety and so have decided to build inland.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    This is very doable...

Shell
    Irish Air Corps
    IRL - BALDONNELL

Clontarf Road
    IRL - Dublin 3 D3

Your going to picket a military installation? What will that do?

Clontraf roads has been closed for a while now and in any case shell will be gone in a few weeks (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=273587)
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    and instead they choose to stand by their convictions... the bastards!

fair play to them, but if it lands them in prision that the decision they make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

'The system HAS failed in this case. These men shouldn't have to curtsy to shell. We (as a society) should care, and when we see an injustice - we should act.'

Reactor ... this is a very strong statement and I would appriciate if you could substantiate it.

I havn't been privy to the intriciate details of the case but I believe that all over the world there are gas pipes feeding to peoples homes and businesses.

Contempt of court is next to treason as far as I am concerned, there are very atainable judicial structures in place for anyone with an appeal to a district or circurt court judge, even as far as europe.

What sickened me last night was listening to the sensationalism of the press describing the 'prisioners' as Fathers and bread winning husbands etc .. there a many husbands and father in prision all over the country .. and these have the luxury of being in a position to return to their bread winning and father of the year status with a simple promise.

whippet wrote:
    'The system HAS failed in this case. These men shouldn't have to curtsy to shell. We (as a society) should care, and when we see an injustice - we should act.'

Reactor ... this is a very strong statement and I would appriciate if you could substantiate it.

The system of government we currently have including the Dáil and the judiciary has failed in this circumstance. It has failed in the respect of TRUE justice. Once the court order was given - and the men disobeyed it - there was nothing that could be done. However, this all started with a very bad decision by the government to hand over one of our natural resources to a private interest for nothing. This is a failure of the system. All subsequent failures arose from this.

To a large extent laws will always fail. However, laws can be changed and when they are shown to be wrong they should and need to be changed. However, in times of ambivalence and self-serving attitudes our society is choosing to turn a blind eye to this need.

Is that clear?

whippet wrote:
    I havn't been privy to the intriciate details of the case but I believe that all over the world there are gas pipes feeding to peoples homes and businesses.

Contempt of court is next to treason as far as I am concerned, there are very atainable judicial structures in place for anyone with an appeal to a district or circurt court judge, even as far as europe.

Contempt of court is a valid and necessary part of our govenrment system. However, as I have said in the presence of failure of the system - contempt is justified. This is my opinion.
    whippet wrote:
    What sickened me last night was listening to the sensationalism of the press describing the 'prisioners' as Fathers and bread winning husbands etc .. there a many husbands and father in prision all over the country .. and these have the luxury of being in a position to return to their bread winning and father of the year status with a simple promise.

and to give up their principles... I'm amazed that people find this so extraordinary. They must be crazy - all they have to do is geneflect at the alter of money and they can carry on with their lives. Where do I sign up? Can i do it now?

Nuttzz wrote:
    Your going to picket a military installation? What will that do?

Clontraf roads has been closed for a while now and in any case shell will be gone in a few weeks (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=273587)

What will any protest do? It will highlight further the injustice (as I see it).
    Shell forecourts might be gone in a few weeks, but shell (it appears) will be here for a long time.

Nuttzz wrote:
    fair play to them, but if it lands them in prision that the decision they make.

That was the decision they made. However, in respect of this I believe that the true injustice has been dealt to them (an us as a larger society) for all the reasons outlined above.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    The system of government we currently have including the Dáil and the judiciary has failed in this circumstance. It has failed in the respect of TRUE justice. Once the court order was given - and the men disobeyed it - there was nothing that could be done. However, this all started with a very bad decision by the government to hand over one of our natural resources to a private interest for nothing. This is a failure of the system. All subsequent failures arose from this.

To a large extent laws will always fail. However, laws can be changed and when they are shown to be wrong they should and need to be changed. However, in times of ambivalence and self-serving attitudes our society is choosing to turn a blind eye to this need.

Is that clear?

Actually it is not clear at all, could you please articulate why the Gas Line should not run though these particular streches of land?

As with any CPO there has to be a reason for it, I would like to hear the argument against it, so far all I can get is NIMBY and Big Business rules ! Rubbish, who else will extract the gas .. Duchas? or maybe the crowd running the Aquatic Centre. Public opinion is very much favourable towards letting Private enterprise to take on large tasks as our public sector is far to prone to massive cost over runs.

whippet wrote:
    Actually it is not clear at all, could you please articulate why the Gas Line should not run though these particular streches of land?

the number one reason (in my view) [from indymedia]:
    From 1975 for oil and gas companies there was a tax rate of 50%, an automatic 50% state stake in any commercial well, and royalties of 6 %– 7%.

In 1987, after lobbying by the companies, Ray Burke got rid of the 50% state stake and removed royalties.

In 1992 after further lobbying Bobby Molloy reduced the tax rate to 25% and 100% tax write offs were introduced, meaning that the companies can subtract their costs from their tax bill.

We (ireland) are essentially handing Shell money.

Safety concerns:
    This is an unprecedented development, normally up stream pipelines of untreated gas do not go over land.
    The gas pipeline also has adjoining pipelines carrying hydraulic fluid, cleansing acids, and a waste pipe.
    There will also be electric cables.
    This is a high pressure pipeline, 345 bar pressure for the gas, 610 bar pressure for the acids and hydraulic fluid.
    It is untreated, that is, odourless, without the added smell for detecting leaks.
    This is not the normal run of the mill gas pipeline.
    In Kinsale the gas is refined at sea, piped ashore at a much lower pressure and odorised.
    The biggest Bord Gais pipelines, in the so-called Transmission network, bringing the gas cross-country or overseas, run at 16 – 70 bar pressure.
    This development is so unprecedented the relevant legislation and regulations assumes its non-existence, that is, it applies to off shore upstream pipelines and to on land ones of around the levels of pressure used by Bord Gais.
    The large pressure is necessary as the pipeline is actually pumping the gas straight out of the field, normally this process takes place completely at sea.
    This pipeline will pass by peoples’ houses and by villages.
    It is being built through a bog where there have been landslides.

reactor ... I would probably agree with the issue of tax cuts, however if the tax saving were not there shell would have no interest and the gas would never be moved, or give enployment to the area.. similar to the IT companies.

With regards to the list that you have given .. I still can't see where the risks are, you have quoted pressures and the like which mean nothing to most people. I am fully confident that shell are quite capable of mining and refining gas safely and securely and that their engineers are best placed to ensure that no explosions or leaks occur.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    They used the tools at their disposal.
    No, they used some of the tools at their disposal. They could have taken a legal avenue, but chose not to.

They were not out of legal options, they just made the decision - rightly or wrongly - that even if the law backed them up it would be too late.

Of course, tehy traded that uncertainty for - as you yourself admit - nothing but an aspiration that their "martyrdom" would make a difference.

So they traded the legal-but-uncertain avenue for the illegal-but-uncertain avenue. Why should I respect this?

More importantly, look at how you started the thread :
    5 men were jailed last night for contempt of court, by blocking a shell gas pipeline going through their land in Mayo. This is an outrage.
    It is nto outrageous that anyone is thrown in jail for being in contempt of court. It may be outrageous that the mandatory purchase orders were agreed to, or that the injunction was ever granted, but it was not outrageous that they be thrown in jail for carrying out a protest which they knew in advance would be illegal.

It would have been even more outrageous had they not been imprisoned. There is a clear distinction between the decisions of our government and the fucntioning of our legal system. Our government may have made a bad decision wrt this pipeline (I don't know...its such a "big" deal, I've seen nothing about it and heard nothing about it before this thread), but the remedy to that is not to suggest that our legal system be run in just as slip-shod a manner and that we ignore flouting of the law because an unknown percentage of the mob are making noises about how wrong it is.

At the end of the day, I've still to see a single reference to information - just people offering their take on what has happened, and there's already disagreement there. From that perspective, the rights or wrongs wrt: Shell and whether or not they should have had this contract is not something I feel in a position to comment on. You can insist its wrong, unjust, scandalous, criminal, or whatever you like, but while all I have is your outrage, I think I'll stay where I am on the fence regarding who's right and wrong on that one.

However, regarding the "poor" farmers. They should have been treated exactly as they were. The law must be upheld, or punishment for breaking it accepted, even when arguing against the policy that the law is enforcing. Policy and law are entirely seperate issues, and suggesting one should be ignored because the other is failing is only going to serve to bring us the lowest common denominator.

jc

whippet wrote:
    reactor ... I would probably agree with the issue of tax cuts, however if the tax saving were not there shell would have no interest and the gas would never be moved, or give enployment to the area.. similar to the IT companies.

With regards to the list that you have given .. I still can't see where the risks are, you have quoted pressures and the like which mean nothing to most people. I am fully confident that shell are quite capable of mining and refining gas safely and securely and that their engineers are best placed to ensure that no explosions or leaks occur.

High pressure means if there's a problem there is a potential for high explosion. i think most people understand that simple principle. What are you basing your confidence of Shell on? They have a long history of leaks, contamination of land, damaging the environment. All you have to do is check google - there are plenty of stories.

I don't want to get personal - but like your previous comment...

"As with any CPO there has to be a reason for it"

....it is clear you have you head firmly in the sand on this one. There is no state interest in this development. Some politicians made some nice money in the past and sold us out. Yes some jobs will be created. That is about the only bonus. However, Shell, Statoil and Marathon Oil have a history of not employing Irish rig workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Is that clear?

Contempt of court is a valid and necessary part of our govenrment system. However, as I have said in the presence of failure of the system - contempt is justified. This is my opinion.

so, by your logic, if the law fails to agree with your opinion, the law is obviously wrong and you are then justified in breaking the laws of the state in pursuing an illegal protest against their decision and if you are punished by that state for that protest this only enforces your opinion that the state was wrong in the first place becuase it is wrong again in punishing you??!!

hmmm, i see...

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote:
    No, they used some of the tools at their disposal. They could have taken a legal avenue, but chose not to.

ok now you are being pedantic. IMO they used the best tools for the job. Why pursue action through the same system that has basically told them to go f*ck off? The civil disobedience route has brought them greater exposure and probably will give them the best chance of having obtaining some sort of real justice, at the expense for now of their liberty.

bonkey wrote:
    More importantly, look at how you started the thread :

bonkey wrote:
    It is nto outrageous that anyone is thrown in jail for being in contempt of court. It may be outrageous that the mandatory purchase orders were agreed to, or that the injunction was ever granted, but it was not outrageous that they be thrown in jail for carrying out a protest which they knew in advance would be illegal.

It would have been even more outrageous had they not been imprisoned.

I agree with your point - however, I did mean that the whole process up to then had been and outrage - the act of sending them to jail for contempt in itslef was largely inevitable and therefore not outrageous - true.
    bonkey wrote:
    There is a clear distinction between the decisions of our government and the fucntioning of our legal system.

who makes the laws?

bonkey wrote:
    Our government may have made a bad decision wrt this pipeline (I don't know...its such a "big" deal, I've seen nothing about it and heard nothing about it before this thread), but the remedy to that is not to suggest that our legal system be run in just as slip-shod a manner and that we ignore flouting of the law because an unknown percentage of the mob are making noises about how wrong it is.

my point is - the rest of us should also be making noise. Laws do change, and ultimately it is we (the people) who make them. Laws regarding public safety and sale (or giving away) of state assets need to be looked at.

Advertisement