Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom-Limerick-And Me .

• 30-06-2005 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

How to make a long story short , and not use the kinda language that will get it deleted and me banned ?

Right , back some time in March as the upgrade was on the way , I started to experience high ( read in the thousands ) latency in the evenings . I am on the Roches street exchange and there were a few others mumbling about it aswell so I thought , take it easy John , give em a bit of time to get it right . The upgrade came and went and I was still having this problem but was going with the , I need to format , I need to try this , that the other .

By May , the eircom support guys and I had done a bit of talking , I had got my point accross to them ( I think ) and we were trying several fixes .............

I have .....
    reformatted , and installed win xp pro , fully updated .
    used my zyxel modem , bought a netopia 3341 here on boards , been given a new netopia 3347 from eircom .
    tried multiple firewall and firewall settings , in the end going back to the hardware one in the netopia
    Had the support guys talk me through several different settings
    had an engineer out here ( which I feel was a bit pointless as all he did was line test , never checked any of the sockets or anything )
    run everykind of spyware catcher , MS , spybot , adaware ,hijackthis , all updated .
    Last but not least , had eircom change my port within the exchange ( this seemed to work over the weekend and I even told the Eircom guy handling My problem that I thought it might be solved ( this was on tuesday morning )

After all that , and I know in writing it doesn't sound much , but it went on and on and on , I am still in the same position . It seems to be intermitient , which has me pulling my hair out . Ingame ,using f6 I get a constant ping update ( I play a mod of unreal tournement ) , and while playing I use teamspeak . Because of the nature of it , it will at times seem that if I come out of game and turn , on/off TS , on/off firewall it makes a difference , but then it can go straight back up again , last night for instance , I stopped playing the game , there was a small interval , and I went on to play BF2 with a ping , when I checked , of 20-30 , but then I went back into the UT game and the ping seemed fine aswell , I know the netcode in a game that old wouldn't be great but still , pings climbing into the thousands ? .

I have a few questions , that some of the more knowledgable people here might try and answer for me .
    Is it possible that it is the game ?, I can play it fine during the day and later on at night , but not during peak hours on some nights .I have seen it in COD aswell but it doesn't seem to be in the same extent .
    I know it at times seems like contention , but a: the eircom guys say they are no where near saturation and have oceans of bandwidth and b: I don't hear anyone else on the roches street exchange complaining .
    I have a second pc that I can hook up to the network and have it do ping -t 's and tracerts , with nothing else running , while I am ingame in the main pc and it is comming back with results like
    Tracing route to www.ireland.com [195.7.33.37]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254

2 96 ms 123 ms 148 ms b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.24]

3 848 ms 1050 ms 1499 ms 83.71.114.97

4 1856 ms 2732 ms 3090 ms 159.134.125.45

5 33 ms 40 ms 60 ms 159.134.203.179

6 96 ms 121 ms 103 ms www.ireland.com [195.7.33.37]

Trace complete.

Tracing route to www.ireland.com [195.7.33.37]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254

2 40 ms 33 ms 27 ms b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.24]

3 20 ms 26 ms 33 ms 83.71.114.97

4 61 ms 63 ms 114 ms 159.134.125.45

5 37 ms 47 ms 73 ms 159.134.203.179

6 52 ms 88 ms 93 ms www.ireland.com [195.7.33.37]

Trace complete.

It also at times seems like I can do one thing online , but not more than one , ie game or teamspeak but not both . I have also tried different versions of TS and unstalling the game and reinstalling it .
    Also around the same time there was work done on the pole outside my house , just thought I would throw that in .

Well thats about it , I know it is a bit all over the place but I am at a complete loss here and at this stage will to try anything within reason and listen to any comments suggestions , especially on the likelyhood of it being a problem with the game , does that seem possible ? would it not be like that all the time ?

Sorry for the rambling nature of the post

John.

PS: maybe the mods could make this a " compulsory read thread " on the off chance that someone knows something somewhere , anything anywhere please God , put me out of my misery

Advertisement