Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oxegen Survival kit

• 30-06-2005 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Any tips and tricks for surviving the camp site and general event?

My tip ... bring empty bottles ... when you get there you can fill em with water and keep them in your tent. That and wellies ... oh I got laughed at for my shiney red wellies before! But I had the last laugh ha ha ! :) if you are twisted it doesn't matter what you are wearing on your feet .. you will dance

eh what else... wine is not a festival drink ... even if it is in a sprite bottle

chewing gum, handy tissues and baby wips make you less like you are playing in mud.

Even if its lashing raining on the Friday ... bring sunscreen!

Anyone any ideas on what the weather will be like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

heatwave apparently bring as little clothing as possible..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Kingsize wrote:
    heatwave apparently bring as little clothing as possible..................

seriously? *I feel I'm bing gullable* .... Met Eireann only has for the next 3 days ... its difficult to tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Water proof stuff: I'm not wearing those horrible plastic rain covers they hand out this year!
    Contact lenses: If you're blind like me.
    Plenty of booze.
    A cheap old diskman and small speakers.
    A guitar.
    And get some printed t-shirts with a mad slogon on it for all your friends!
    And don't forget protection <wink, wink>, ya know, like sunscreen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

KlodaX wrote:
    seriously? *I feel I'm bing gullable* .... Met Eireann only has for the next 3 days ... its difficult to tell

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/03969.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

right so, Its a thong, a raincoat, country spring bottle full of wine and condoms with sunblock. I'm sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Bog roll
    Tent, Sleeping Bag, Groundmat (without the groundmat you'll get very cold)
    Sunscreen, Raincoat, Condoms, Travel First Aid kit
    Socks and underwear, if you're going home monday morning you may want to take a change of clothes too
    At least 1 2litre and 1 500ml bottle of water - you can carry the 500ml bottle with you so long as it's uncapped when you go thru security
    Alcohol in non-glass containers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Anyone else getting really excited about it yet?? Oooh the anticipation.

bring it on!

Bluetonic wrote:

that forecast is so random ... its like every three days it rains and on the second its sunny and the first overcast ... and it continues like this!

I really wish there was a heatwave forecasted. I probably just jinksed any chance of there being a heat wave.
    right so, Its a thong, a raincoat, country spring bottle full of wine and condoms with sunblock. I'm sorted.

lol

I wanted to bring water guns .. but not much point if it is going to rain! ... lollypops and glow in the dark bands ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Bring paracetemol for the mornings after. Also earplugs in case you've had enough but your neighbours haven't! And a torch for nightime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mynewusername

If you take 2 Aret tablets on the Friday night before Oxegen, you can avoid needing/taking a dump in the disgusting toilets all weekend.

• Advertisement

KlodaX wrote:
    that forecast is so random ... its like every three days it rains and on the second its sunny and the first overcast ... and it continues like this!

Have you seen the last few days weather??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Bring plenty of plastic bags
    Skins (they're a euro + or something inside)
    Suntan Lotion is a good idea too, despite the weather, It pissed rain last year and I still came back burnt ta fúck.

susanna wrote:
    Bring paracetemol for the mornings after. Also earplugs in case you've had enough but your neighbours haven't! And a torch for nightime

a tourch? I know my memories are hazy ... but its not that dark in the camp site is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

There are some spotlights, so you can make out bits and pieces. Its always freezing at night though.

Might see you there at some stage Klo. ;)

mr_angry wrote:
    There are some spotlights, so you can make out bits and pieces. Its always freezing at night though.

Might see you there at some stage Klo. ;)

excellent! what colours the hair now? I'll keep an eye out for you :)

not that many people going to oxegen from boards then I take it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I'll be there, really looking forward to Audioslave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

i'll be there too - just adding the finishing touch to the kit this week :)

bin bags and tape - used to patch tent/as rain jacket/as seat/etc
    crappy discman with mp3 support (see bargin thread) +speakers - burn about 10 albums onto each cd rather than brings original cds
    beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

If you take 2 Aret tablets on the Friday night before Oxegen, you can avoid needing/taking a dump in the disgusting toilets all weekend.

^^Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I'm bringing the girlfriend and her car so i can nip down to naas if i forget anything!

• Advertisement

Did anyone mention to bring your ticket? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Drumcondra red

I'll be there too, don't forget toilet roll!!! Rarely make it past Sunday morning with having to have a sit down, if you know what I mean...

I'm bringing the girlfriend and her car so i can nip down to naas if i forget anything!

speaking of bringing cars ... has anyone ever brought a car and got stuck in the mud? I wanna bring mine incase we get rained out of the campsite like Glastonbury ... don't want to get stuck in the muck though!

KlodaX wrote:
    speaking of bringing cars ... has anyone ever brought a car and got stuck in the mud? I wanna bring mine incase we get rained out of the campsite like Glastonbury ... don't want to get stuck in the muck though!
    I seriously wouldn't worry about your car getting stuck, it won't be that bad, and there'll be plenty of people to give you a push, if you do get stuck, I promise to get it out for you, ok?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

i wanna bring a guitar,is it safe?or will one of u gimme one?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

susanna wrote:
    And a torch for nightime
    Useful for inside tent at night.
    Tent, sleeping bag, plastic bags (to sit on & in case of tent leaks!), spare clothes (got totally soaked last yr), water, alcohol if ya want it, food that wont go off like crisps n biscuits, baby wipes are useful for stayin somewhat clean & not smelly, deodrant, suncream & some sort of rainproof jacket, torch, toilet roll, camera if u want 1, money and ticket!
    ive probably forgotten loads. ive a ticket but dont think i can go. got my ticket soooo long ago, im so disappointed :( (& ive already loads of ppl wanting my ticket)

I seriously wouldn't worry about your car getting stuck, it won't be that bad, and there'll be plenty of people to give you a push, if you do get stuck, I promise to get it out for you, ok?

Thats ok then. If I get stuck I'll look for the person wearing a t-shirt that says 'Drumcondra red' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Toilet roll essential, i'm gonna bring the lil boxes of kelloggs and eat them for brekkie, lunch and dinner. Never camped in Oxegen before, do they have food vans near the campsite or is it all in the main music area??

Anyone ever have anything nicked on them from their tent??

i wanna bring a guitar,is it safe?or will one of u gimme one?? :D

Cust camp next Zapho and you are sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Toilet roll essential, i'm gonna bring the lil boxes of kelloggs and eat them for brekkie, lunch and dinner. Never camped in Oxegen before, do they have food vans near the campsite or is it all in the main music area??

Anyone ever have anything nicked on them from their tent??

ye ther are chipper vans, a breakfast tent and general shops in the campsites. Most of them are rip offs so bring your own food. Im bringing down a sliced pan to make a load of chip sambos!! delicious!

oh, and no ive never had anything robbed from my tent but if you leave your drink lying around outside it WILL get swiped!! Well, thats in my experience anyway! If you see a blue tent with a lil ireland flag on top, stop in for a can!!
    even though there will prob be loads of them!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

KlodaX wrote:

My lift and a bunch of other cars had flat batteries come Monday (forgetting to turn off interior lights after going back to them drunk to charge phones and the like being the culprits it would seem). Luckily one person had jump leads and another was kind enough to get everyone going. Id highly recommend bringing jump leads. If you dont need them someone else will.

If the rain gets as bad as Glastonbury, depending on the geography of where you parked, the car parks will flood too (they did in Glastonbury anyway). Being stuck in the mud is a possibility so if you are just bringing the car as a shelter dont bother as you could be double stung. If you lose a tent to flooding just grab the bus after the bands play.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 GiuseppeConlon

Best code of practice for going anywhere is bring something practical and something for your feet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

KlodaX wrote:
    excellent! what colours the hair now? I'll keep an eye out for you :)
    Black, actually. :) Not quite as distinctive as before. We have 2 huge tents, so look out for the huge shadows being cast in the campsite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

If you can bring your car do. Last year on the sunday someone brought us into Naas to get lunch and more booze. It was a nice break from the campsite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

VIP pass to get into the comfy bar and use the nice clean toilets.

• Advertisement

KlodaX wrote:
    Thats ok then. If I get stuck I'll look for the person wearing a t-shirt that says 'Drumcondra red' ;)
    I think my Drumcondra Red t-shirt might be in the wash next weekend :mad: so you'll have to keep a look out for me, you'll know me when you see me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Bring a laptop and a dvd of The Shawshank Redemption. That way you can watch the following scene:

As before, an object is hauled up the side of the building by rope -- only this time, it's a cooler of beer and ice. RED (V.O.) And that's how it came to pass, that on the second-to-last day of the job, the convict crew that tarred the plate factory roof in the spring of '49... 60 EXT -- ROOF -- SHORTLY LATER (1949) 60 The cons are taking the sun and drinking beer. RED (V.O.) ...wound up sitting in a row at ten o'clock in the morning, drinking icy cold Black Label beer courtesy of the hardest screw that ever walked a turn at Shawshank State Prison. HADLEY Drink up, boys. While it's cold. RED (V.O.) The colossal prick even managed to sound magnanimous. Red knocks back another sip, enjoying the bitter cold on his tongue and the warm sun on face. RED (V.O.) We sat and drank with the sun on our shoulders, and felt like free men. We could'a been tarring the roof of one of our own houses. We were the Lords of all Creation. He glances over to Andy squatting apart from the others. RED (V.O.) As for Andy, he spent that break hunkered in the shade, a strange little smile on his face, watching us drink his beer. HEYWOOD (approaches with a beer) Here's a cold one, Andy. ANDY No thanks. I gave up drinking. Heywood drifts back to others, giving them a look. RED (V.O.) You could argue he'd done it to curry favor with the guards. Or maybe make a few friends among us cons. Me, I think he did it just to feel normal again...if only for a short while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Whatever you do, don't when the minibus stops off in Kildare on the way up go to the off licence and buy a bottle of blue aftershock and three cans of red bull and pour them into an empty sprite bottle and drink them on saturday morning and be grand for awhile but then pass out on the tarmacadam when the streets are playing and end up having to go back to the tent and sleeping in past the coral. just don't.

do bring a few plastic bags and towels, their handy to but muddy clothes in and to dry off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ShakyJ

The plastic bags can always be handy to go over the socks aswell is the rain really comes down and your not into the wearing the welly's thing!

Any of you with hayfever bring spray and tablets. Major wrecker when its starts and your eyes are in bits!

Inject oranges full of vodka and freeze the oranges. Bring them into the concert (security wont know a thing and they wont smell the vodka, you can see ive done this before!) and save on buying drink. You'll be wasted from eating oranges its class! Only probs is getting the needles without looking like a junky!

Put something on your tent to identify it, when you get back wasted and its dark you'll never find it. A good one is getting a glow stick, break it openand pour it onto your tent and spell something that you'll see!

cant think of anything else that wasnt already said at the moment!

gaf1983 wrote:
    Whatever you do, don't when the minibus stops off in Kildare on the way up go to the off licence and buy a bottle of blue aftershock and three cans of red bull and pour them into an empty sprite bottle and drink them on saturday morning and be grand for awhile but then pass out on the tarmacadam when the streets are playing and end up having to go back to the tent and sleeping in past the coral. just don't.

do bring a few plastic bags and towels, their handy to but muddy clothes in and to dry off with.

There must be something about sprite bottles containing alcohol on the saturday morning of Oxegen .... *see inital post* .... DO NOT DO THIS ... unless of course its sprite .. that might be ok. I wouldn't chance it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

im bringin 2 disposable cameras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Was at download a few weeks back, best thing ever for waking up in the morning i learnt off a guy i was staying with- buy a hot chocolate\coffee from a stall, then add some whiskey, so good!

Also nutella makes great sandwiches!

everything else i can think of has been said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

mr_angry wrote:
    Black, actually. :) Not quite as distinctive as before. We have 2 huge tents, so look out for the huge shadows being cast in the campsite!

Ah yes. Mega Tent Tower 1 and Mega Tent Tower 2.... Combine to make Mega Tent City.... :D

I heard a vicious rumour that Mega Tent 2 had some damage sustained from last year?

I will of course be a resident of Mega Tent City this year. My cebatical from witnness is now over and i am returning.....

Looking forward to it now. w00p w00p etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Best code of practice for going anywhere is bring something practical and something for your feet....

a foot spa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

So any of ye chancing wellies this year?

Is it possible to sneak alco-ma-hol in to oxegen in sprite bottles? and is it just sprite bottles....? :D

Also gonna try get a beer cap with a straw that can hold 2 cans!!!

:D:D WHOOOO OXEGEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

I'll bring myself!!

And eh, pegs for the damn tent!!

It nearly blew away last year on numerous occasions.

Gonna peg that mo-fo down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I'm one of the lucky people who have to clean up after all of ye :o . I'm working with a contract cleaners for the summer and oxygen is next on the list (free entry and food so not all bad!), so if yeah see a guy in bright orange jacket in your drunken state cleaning up be sure to give him a hand :D

On second thoughts dont throw any rubbish you have on the ground!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Might beat the purpose of it, but if your from surrounding areas(inner dublin myself), bring a car so one can go home late morning/early afternoon Sunday and have an hours/2 proper kip, a nice wash and a nice change of clothes and then back down to go on a mad un again.
    Works every year, except this one as i am in OZ :) Soo to be Thailand :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

So any of ye chancing wellies this year?
    Is it possible to sneak alco-ma-hol in to oxegen in sprite bottles? and is it just sprite bottles....? :D
    Also gonna try get a beer cap with a straw that can hold 2 cans!!!

Hey get an airhorn too! and a gigantic foam hand while your at it!

You can bring any alcohol you like into the campsite providing its not in glass bottles. As for sneaking booze into the arena they do check the bottles by sniffing them and will also confiscate lids from you (apparently this is to stop people filling bottles and chucking them).

You could probably sneak in some inconspicous smaller bottles like minatures or tape some half filled half crushed bottle to your leg (damn Im giving away ALL The secrets here). How about this.. try get a bladder of wine from the cardboard box stuff and tape it to your back.

Best thing is to try time when you head in. As the crowds get bigger and the bands start to play the checks they do on people get less thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ShakyJ

Lads

as i said before. just inject oranges full of vodka, freeze them. Bring them into the concert and when they search you all they find is oranges. They wont have a clue! Suck on a few through the day and you'll be happy as Larry! And an extra few cent saved by not having to buy drink in there

• Advertisement
Advertisement